PDA

View Full Version : Could one conceivebly use Major Illusion to...

McClintock
2018-09-18, 01:34 PM
Since it can be moved and fills a 20ft cube, could you create the illusion of "what's behind us" and have it move as we move? Considering we could silence the moving parties, could it be used in this fashion?

EX: The party places themselves next to a wall, the illusionist creates an illusion of the blank wall, and then the party quietly moves through the room without notice.

nickl_2000
2018-09-18, 01:40 PM
The answer to this question for some will be yes, for others it will be no that it's to much power for a cantrip.

The only true answer to this is, ask your DM and see if (s)he will allow it. If you are the DM go with what feels right, use the gut instinct and run with it (but remember that what a PC can do an enemy can do too)

McClintock
2018-09-18, 01:41 PM
Major illusion is 3rd level, I think you were thinking of minor illusion, but thank you for the reply.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-09-18, 01:42 PM
Since it can be moved and fills a 20ft cube, could you create the illusion of "what's behind us" and have it move as we move? Considering we could silence the moving parties, could it be used in this fashion?

EX: The party places themselves next to a wall, the illusionist creates an illusion of the blank wall, and then the party quietly moves through the room without notice.

I suppose but someone familiar with the room will may notice It’s smaller then it’s supposed to be.

nickl_2000
2018-09-18, 01:45 PM
Major illusion is 3rd level, I think you were thinking of minor illusion, but think you for the reply.

Crud, completely misread this, I'm to used to seeing the minor illusion debate on here.... Sorry!

I'm assuming you mean the third level spell Major Image instead. The answer is still going to be the same though "Ask your DM..."

Personally, considering that invisibility is a second level spell I'd be fine with it. You still have to be quiet and if anyone walks over to it they find out that it's an illusion.

Segev
2018-09-18, 01:45 PM
Yes, you could, but at BEST it would be convincing only to one observer. And even then, you'd need to concentrate pretty hard on it moving precisely to match where his eyes are tracking.

The shorter answer is: "No, major image is not mass invisibility."

You're probably better off making an illusion of something that you can hide behind.

McClintock
2018-09-18, 01:47 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies. Food for thought.