PDA

View Full Version : David build

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-18, 06:50 PM
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice with building David ala the bible story of david and the goliath. The DM is going through LMoP using standard array. (No point buy allowed.)

I'm thinking
Human (Variant)
Rogue
10,14*,14,12,16*,8
Feat Magic initiate: Magic Stone, create bonfire, Healing word/Faerie Fire/Goodberry/fog cloud
Expertise in Perception and one other.

Basically he would use a sling and magic stone combined with sneak attack to take people down. What thoughts do you have about this build and anything I should watch out for?

nickl_2000
2018-09-18, 07:04 PM
You have a solid start there. I would suggest either fighter (battlemaster) or probably the most appropriate would be Ranger with
desert as your favored terrain
giants as your favored enemy
Archery fighting style
hunter at level 3 with giant killer (although colossal slayer would be a more powerful build) as the type

Personally, I would ditch the bonfire spell from Magic Initiate and take shillelagh instead so you can use wisdom for melee battle as well on a staff (refluffed as a shepherd's crook).

Goodberry is always a good choice for a spell. It isn't the most flashy spell, but you will use cast it without fail every day

Also personal opinion, I would trade out intelligence for charisma. I always got the impression that David was more charismatic than intelligent.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-09-18, 07:15 PM
You have a solid start there. I would suggest either fighter (battlemaster) or probably the most appropriate would be Ranger with
desert as your favored terrain
giants as your favored enemy
Archery fighting style
hunter at level 3 with giant killer (although colossal slayer would be a more powerful build) as the type

Personally, I would ditch the bonfire spell from Magic Initiate and take shillelagh instead so you can use wisdom for melee battle as well on a staff (refluffed as a shepherd's crook).

Goodberry is always a good choice for a spell. It isn't the most flashy spell, but you will use cast it without fail every day

Also personal opinion, I would trade out intelligence for charisma. I always got the impression that David was more charismatic than intelligent.

Oops I forgot to throw in that I was planning on going with rogue and combining the magic stone with sneak attack to take enemies down.
If we end up going past level 5 I'd probably take a level dip in fighter for Medium armor and archery fighting style though I'm unsure if that would stack with the magic stone/sling/sneak attack as it's a weird rules confluence.

Naanomi
2018-09-18, 07:25 PM
I did a magic stone using inquisitive Rogue... my passive perception was silly. You might be the path you need to go down as well, unless you have another way to consistently trigger the sneak attack VS a lone giant

For magic Initiate, I took Magic Stone, Guidance, and Faerie Fire

Expertise was Perception, Insight; Investigation, Stealth

Aaron Underhand
2018-09-18, 07:54 PM
I did a magic stone using inquisitive Rogue... my passive perception was silly. You might be the path you need to go down as well, unless you have another way to consistently trigger the sneak attack VS a lone giant

For magic Initiate, I took Magic Stone, Guidance, and Faerie Fire

Expertise was Perception, Insight; Investigation, Stealth

That's the MI spell list I was about to recommend for a rogue based character... :-)

Or bias wisdom and dip one level of druid :-)

Nifft
2018-09-18, 08:54 PM
I really want to suggest Halfling but there's no particular mechanical advantage -- it's not like 3.5e where sling-shots got a bonus.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-18, 09:16 PM
Throw in proficiency in the harp and music composition:)

strangebloke
2018-09-19, 10:19 AM
So, this is more than you asked for, but I'm going to dig more deeply into the full story of David.

David's first known feat is when the 'power of the Almighty' descends upon him as a boy, and he uses it to fend off a bear and a lion (Zealot rage?)

David's second feat is of course his slaying of Goliath. It's specifically mentioned that the armor doesn't suit him. (light/no armor, uses a sling, high single-hit damage)

David next becomes a harp player in the court of King Saul. He's said to be the only one able to sooth the king's violent tempers. The king nearly murders him more than once. David is known for his music throughout the rest of his life, with dozens of relgious songs attributed to him. (proficiency with harps)

After David flees into the wilderness, Saul comes hunting him. David sneaks up behind Saul while the man is taking a piss, cuts off a corner of the guy's cloak, and disappears without Saul noticing. (stealth expertise. Probably survival proficiency)

David pretends to be insane and gets a job as the fool of the enemy king. He maintains this guise for a while, but eventually ends up a commander in that king's army. He raids the lands of the king he's serving, but is able to convince his superior that he's raiding his own people in Israel. (Deception Expertise)

After that he gets crowned king and his feats become less impressive since he spends most of his time dealing with his kids and wives. As to his personality he's a violent man with a bad temper who nearly killed a guy for being inhospitable. He's very lawful in that he's completely, abjectly loyal to his home country of Israel. Saul tried to kill him dozens of times and he refused to fight back against him, and even wept when Saul finally died. He is completely without fear when facing the enemies of his God.

Anyway, all that to say that while you could go barbarogue, I think your build is pretty solid. David is a classic swasbuckling rogue, with maybe a few zealot levels.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-19, 10:33 AM
It’s very obscure, but it is implied that David later slew Goliath’s brothers as well, most likely with the other stones he pulled from the river.

He also finished Goliath off with his own sword (a huge sized great sword) which might tie into that Zealous Strength mentioned before.

He is definitely a guy that often acted with his passions / first instincts most of the time.

I wonder if I were building him how he would flesh out as a Bardbarian of sorts.....

ErHo
2018-09-19, 04:53 PM
Its not 'ol Dave without a level in Bard!

If you can charm a god with a single chord, then thats at the very least a Bard!

Paladin otherwise. Remember he did wield Goliath's sword(kept it with the Arc).

Charismatic Fighter, fallen paladin until a higher level, then completely recommits for the remainder of his life.