PDA

View Full Version : Action surge extra attack

Grayson01
2018-09-19, 12:33 AM
Quick question: The Action Surge feature for the fighter says “On your turn , you can take one additional action on top of your regular...” The Extra Attack Action feature says: “You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn”. If you use the addition action from action surge to take the attack action, and have the extra attack feature, do you get the extra attack with the action surge? I.E 5th lvl fighter has two attacks per attack action, uses Action turn makes 4 attacks?

BRC
2018-09-19, 12:35 AM
Quick question: The Action Surge feature for the fighter says “On your turn , you can take one additional action on top of your regular...” The Extra Attack Action feature says: “You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn”. If you use the addition action from action surge to take the attack action, and have the extra attack feature, do you get the extra attack with the action surge? I.E 5th lvl fighter has two attacks per attack action, uses Action turn makes 4 attacks?

Short Answer: Yes.

Extra Attack happens whenever you take the Attack Action.

Grayson01
2018-09-19, 12:38 AM
Short Answer: Yes.

Thank you, that was how I understood it and makes it’s worth a lot more apparent.

ad_hoc
2018-09-19, 01:43 AM
Thank you, that was how I understood it and makes it’s worth a lot more apparent.

That is a good default way to use it.

I have also seen it used to do the thing when it really mattered. Make another try on doing something important, dashing, etc.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-19, 07:27 AM
Eldritch Knights can use it to cast two single action spells a round, or set up some sick combo like Hold Person or Blindness and then unload their full volley of attacks.

Battlemasters can do something similar by tripping their foe, and then beating then down or starting a grapple.

It’s a cool ability that allows Fighters a shining moment of glory.

Thanatos 51-50
2018-09-19, 07:51 AM

Unless otherwise specified, of course.
The Haste spell, for instance, states "... can only be used to take the Attack (one weapon attack only)..."