PDA

View Full Version : Can you aid another on the same person twice?

SangoProduction
2018-09-19, 01:49 AM
So, say for instance that you can Aid Another as a Swift Action. So you can theoretically aid 3 times in a round. It's in all likelihood a suboptimal idea, in all but the most impossible of tasks, but can you do so?

The Aid Another entry says that multiple people can aid a single person, and like bonuses stack, but is silent on multiple Aids from a single person. It is logically consistent that someone could help someone multiple times for the same attack, but I wonder what you guys think.

Ashtagon
2018-09-19, 02:12 AM
Bonuses from a single source don't stack unless there is a specific exemption.

SangoProduction
2018-09-19, 02:20 AM
Bonuses from a single source don't stack unless there is a specific exemption.

As noted, Aid Another says that its bonus stacks. It just doesn't say that a single person can stack it. At least not explicitly.

Crake
2018-09-19, 03:22 AM
As noted, Aid Another says that its bonus stacks. It just doesn't say that a single person can stack it. At least not explicitly.

Based on what was noted, it says "bonuses from multiple people stack" so this doesn't really apply. Without a noted exception, the bonus does not stack.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-09-19, 04:29 AM
How does one get aid another down to a swift action and/ or s move action?

The Insanity
2018-09-19, 03:33 PM
If it's PF you have Team Up for move and Swift Aid for swift action.

SangoProduction
2018-09-19, 04:18 PM
Based on what was noted, it says "bonuses from multiple people stack" so this doesn't really apply. Without a noted exception, the bonus does not stack.

I'm not seeing where you're getting that, though if you found where it said that for me, I'd be grateful.

Here's what the D&D SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#aidAnother) and PFSRD (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/)(saying PFSRD always make me think "Chef Boyardee").

Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

The one related to aiding skill checks just says "In many cases, a character’s help won’t be beneficial, or only a limited number of characters can help at once."

Saintheart
2018-09-20, 12:52 AM

Fearsome armor quality out of DoTU allows you to Intimidate as a move action. Aiding Another for the purpose of skill checks doesn't seem to require a standard action, you just roll a skill check to help them. Either have more than one person in Fearsome armor, or use one guy as the Intimidate standard action anchor and you use your move action to help him.

darkdragoon
2018-09-20, 03:55 AM
Attempts have been made in Saga and such, and even those come with a once a turn restriction.

What you can do is boost it, with teamwork benefits being the easiest (although pretty limited on their own) or Improved Aid from OA. There's also an Underdark PRC that lets you help while being slightly farther away, but it's more for climbing and such.

Particle_Man
2018-09-20, 03:57 PM
Presumably, you could use two aid anothers on the same person for two different effects, like boosting the next attack roll with one aid and boosting the AC with another aid.