PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Mountain Witch tips

Seto
2018-09-19, 05:44 AM
Hello Playground!

So, I happened upon a Kickstarter link this summer. The Mountain Witch RPG (2004) is getting a revision. It caught my eye, so I started reading up on it. I've searched for tips on the Forge, and listened to recordings of people playing it. I haven't had a chance to buy/read the revision (not sure if it's out yet). I'm interested in running it to try it, given that the time investment is not that great (oneshot, or more likely 2 or 3 sessions). It will be a side game along my Pathfinder campaign.

My impressions thus far: the concept greatly intrigues me, and I think the two core mechanics (Trust and Dark Fates) are quite original and interesting. I also dig the setting and aesthetics (samurai film noir). However, it's visible that it's been written quickly and probably before playtesting: the mechanics are vague (which I'm mostly fine with, since it's deliberate, except in some cases where it looks like oversights), but the main problem I'm having is that such a narrative-based game should provide more examples and directions. As a player, what are some good ideas of things you could introduce and tie to your Dark Fate? As a GM, how should you structure your game and manage the rhythm? When do you switch chapters? How should you prompt the players to reveal their Dark Fates? In general, what is the game supposed to look like at its late stages?

One thing I've noticed is that, since the GM is progressively handing over more and more narrative control to the players, and the game generally requires the players to step up and take control of their own storyline, it would probably benefit from experienced roleplayers. On the other hand, as a very rules-light system, the learning curve is much more lenient than say, Pathfinder. So I'm planning to use it as an introduction to roleplaying for first-time players. I'm shooting for a group of mostly newbies with 1 or 2 experienced players.

What I've read online has given me some hints, but you can never get too much advice. Have any of you played it, as either player or GM, and what were your expectations, your surprises, good or bad? Do you have any recommendations for me?

Yora
2018-09-19, 07:13 AM
I think that new players are actually much more flexible and need little nudging to tread down new paths. Old players have a much stronger instinct that some options are obviously wrong and try to get things back on the familiar track when the GM nudges them towards something else. They are more inclined to think that they are missing something or the GM is unaware of making mistakes and try to compensate for it so things will go back to the way they expect.