PDA

View Full Version : Major Aura vs. Draconic Aura

Chester
2018-09-19, 09:29 AM
Hello.

This is not a thread about why the Marshal sucks, why the Major Auras suck, etc.

Strictly speaking, are Draconic Auras much better than Marshal's Major Aura selections? Particularly if the character has the dragonblood subtype? Or, are they really about the same?

EDIT: For purposes of deciding whether or not to select the Major Aura from the Draconic Aura list. Not going to be dragonblooded if it's not worth it.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-09-19, 09:41 AM
Draconic auras scale with your level, if you have the dragonblood subtype and obtain them through the Draconic Aura feat. That's good, because it saves you from taking twenty levels in marshal.

Some auras are clearly better if they're draconic (e.g. Motivate Urgency versus Swiftness). Some are clearly worse (e.g. Hardy Soldiers versus Toughness). I suggest simply throwing all the auras on one pile, and picking the one you want.

Chester
2018-09-19, 09:47 AM
Draconic auras scale with your level, if you have the dragonblood subtype and obtain them through the Draconic Aura feat. That's good, because it saves you from taking twenty levels in marshal.

Some auras are clearly better if they're draconic (e.g. Motivate Urgency versus Swiftness). Some are clearly worse (e.g. Hardy Soldiers versus Toughness). I suggest simply throwing all the auras on one pile, and picking the one you want.

One level of Marshal, Mythic Exemplar later.

I won't get the Major Aura until Level 9 based on planned build progression. So that begs the question, if I pick up a draconic aura at level 9, do I get the level 7 bonus, or do I count the aura as "level 1?"

RaiKirah
2018-09-19, 09:56 AM
As ExLibrisMortis mentioned, Draconic Auras only scale with character level if you are Dragonblooded AND you pick them up through the Draconic Aura feat. Otherwise they scale with the class level that Gabe them to you. If you are getting them as a class feature, choose whichever you prefer at the bonus given by the class - they'll scale the same.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-09-19, 09:58 AM
If you have the dragonblood subtype and take the Draconic Aura feat at level 9, your aura will have a +2 bonus.
If you take marshal 2 at level 9, your aura will have a +1 bonus, draconic or not.