PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Spell Storing + Animate Dead + Bag of Holding = Bag of Buffing?

Damon_Tor
2018-09-19, 04:03 PM
So let's say my DM hands me a Ring of Spell Storing.

Step 1: Cast a buffing spell into Ross. Let's say Haste.
Step 2: Cast Animate Dead to create a skeleton. Her name is Rachael.
Step 3 (Optional): Extended rest to recover those spell slots.
Step 4: Give Ross to Rachael.
Step 5: Instruct Rachael to use Ross on me.
I now have haste and nobody important has to concentrate on it.

Problem: All someone has to do to get rid of the haste is kill Rachael.
Solution: Rachael lives in a Bag of Holding. The bag's name is Monica. When I stick my hand inside Monica, Rachael has been instructed to use Ross. So now I have a bag that casts a buff on me when I reach inside it.

holywhippet
2018-09-19, 05:49 PM
Should work in theory, but it would be kind of costly for the benefit. You could only fit one haste spell in the ring and you need to recast animate dead every single day to keep control of the undead in question.

MaxWilson
2018-09-19, 05:59 PM
Should work in principle. There's the practical difficulty of leaving your hand in the bag long enough for Rachel to take her turn (Readied Action doesn't work for this scenario, at least by the rules as written, although as DM I have no problem with the idea of keeping a spell readied for multiple turns), the practical difficulty of getting Rachel to understand your command and to recognize your hand, and larger practical difficulties of finding a bag of holding and a ring of spell storing and re-casting Animate Dead every day.

But yeah, in principle, that should work if you're willing to jump through all the necessary hoops.

Callak_Remier
2018-09-19, 07:28 PM
GL convincing your DM a skeleton isn't mindless though. Seems like an obvious attempt at power gaming.

holywhippet
2018-09-19, 08:15 PM
GL convincing your DM a skeleton isn't mindless though. Seems like an obvious attempt at power gaming.

Is there a reason to think it would be mindless? The stat block states that it has 6 intelligence and 8 wisdom and understands all languages it knew in life. The animate dead spells says you can give orders to the undead in question.

Dalebert
2018-09-19, 10:28 PM
Somewhere it talks about teaching them to carry out some fairly elaborate tasks. I can't recall if it's in the spell or the monster stat block or the DMG. It was misleading to use the word "mindless" to describe there, wherever that was done. It seems intended to mean they have no complex motivations of their own. They're either devoted to following their master's commands or, if without master, to pure destruction of life.

EDIT: Found it in their stat block. I'm not sure where "mindless" comes from since their stat block says the exact opposite.

Obedient Servants. Skeletons raised by spell
are bound to the will of their creator. They follow
orders to the letter, never questioning the tasks their
masters give them, regardless of the consequences.
Because of their literal interpretation of commands
and unwavering obedience, skeletons adapt poorly to
changing circumstances. They can't read, speak, emote,
or communicate in any way except to nod, shake their
heads, or point. Still, skeletons are able to accomplish a
variety of relatively complex tasks.

A skeleton can fight with weapons and wear armor,
can load and fire a catapult or ttebuchet, scale a siege
ladder, form a shield wall, or dump boiling oil. However,
it must receive careful instructions explaining how such
tasks are accomplished.

Although they lack the intellect they possessed in
life, skeletons aren't mindless. Rather than break its
limbs attempting to batter its way through an iron
door, a skeleton tries the handle first. If that doesn't
work, it searches for another way through or around
the obstacle.

dejarnjc
2018-09-19, 11:55 PM
Just use a familiar. Ez pz

holywhippet
2018-09-20, 01:49 AM
Just use a familiar. Ez pz

Most of the familiars wouldn't be able to wear a ring, you also couldn't have them hide in a bag of holding for long since they'd need to breath (probably would be enough time for a single fight though).

opticalshadow
2018-09-20, 02:09 AM
Most of the familiars wouldn't be able to wear a ring, you also couldn't have them hide in a bag of holding for long since they'd need to breath (probably would be enough time for a single fight though).

Fill the bag with water, use the water breathing ritual on the familiar at the start of the day (24h duration) and now your familiar can stay in the bag all day. or just have one that can breathe water normally i guess.

ToA had a flying monkey as a familiar, they have all kinds of fun uses, but having fingers and thumbs means they can also doi alot of more complex things.

MaxDPSsays
2018-09-20, 05:58 AM
In our campaign we don't allow mindless undead to attune to items. Probably not written anywhere but we think it makes sense.

Ihazturtlez
2018-09-20, 09:55 AM
Fill the bag with water, use the water breathing ritual on the familiar at the start of the day (24h duration) and now your familiar can stay in the bag all day. or just have one that can breathe water normally i guess.

ToA had a flying monkey as a familiar, they have all kinds of fun uses, but having fingers and thumbs means they can also doi alot of more complex things.

If we're being realistic, the water still needs oxygen in it for the familiar to take in. But if the DM is allowing it this far, they could probably rule that there is enough oxygen in the water for the duration.

dejarnjc
2018-09-20, 10:16 AM
Well IF magical rings resize to fit their wearer then pretty much all of familiar options could wear a ring except for snake, fish, and sea horse.

Most of em could just crawl into your backpack or something afterwards too. Most DMs don't tend to target familiars if they're "hidden".

Also, why bother with the water breathing spell when you can just have your familiar be an octopus.

Blood of Gaea
2018-09-20, 02:43 PM
It's mentioned in the DMG that properly wearing an item isn't needed, you could put it on a cord and give your animal a necklace.

ErHo
2018-09-20, 02:50 PM
We were on a BREAK!!