PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Forge a weapon

berserker7878
2018-09-20, 03:53 AM
I have a simple question:

i have a wonding blade, rare magic item.

It's possible for me to plating or to put a piece the blade to another metal, for example a adamantine?

to gain the effect of adamantine weapon?

It's legit?

qube
2018-09-20, 04:30 AM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything on page 78 gives rules on the price of what a weapon would have

The adamantine version of a melee weapon or of ten pieces of ammunition costs 500 gp more than the normal version, whether the weapon or ammunition is made of the metal or coated with it.

But I don't have the book here to check the entire quote - and if it has the same wording as silvered weapons

You can silver a single weapon or ten pieces of ammunition for 100 gp.

(notable difference being one the first quote is simply a determination what the cost of such an item would be, while the other - more specifically, the first 6 words - states one can turn a exiting, finished, sword into a silvered sword)

Unoriginal
2018-09-20, 05:11 AM
I have a simple question:

i have a wonding blade, rare magic item.

It's possible for me to plating or to put a piece the blade to another metal, for example a adamantine?

to gain the effect of adamantine weapon?

It's legit?

Are you talking about adding the adamantine to the Wounding Blade, or about putting a piece of the blade into one of a different metal?

berserker7878
2018-09-20, 05:14 AM
Are you talking about adding the adamantine to the Wounding Blade, or about putting a piece of the blade into one of a different metal?

i talk to adding the adamantine to the Wounding Blade, for gain the bonus of adamantine

Unoriginal
2018-09-20, 05:37 AM
i talk to adding the adamantine to the Wounding Blade, for gain the bonus of adamantine

Well, the book does say that coating the blade with adamantine is enough to gain the bonus, but it also says it costs 500 gp more than the basic version.

So a DM could say that in order for both the adamantine and the magic to work, you need a smith who knows the Wounding Blade formula, and that the work costs 2500 gp (as you are essentially reforging the blade, but better).

That's up to your DM to rule it, though. But the books suggest it's possible.

berserker7878
2018-09-20, 05:41 AM
Well, the book does say that coating the blade with adamantine is enough to gain the bonus, but it also says it costs 500 gp more than the basic version.

So a DM could say that in order for both the adamantine and the magic to work, you need a smith who knows the Wounding Blade formula, and that the work costs 2500 gp (as you are essentially reforging the blade, but better).

That's up to your DM to rule it, though. But the books suggest it's possible.

For me isn't a reforging but a adding of material, isn't exaclty the same, and for the price i think your right it's DM decision

Unoriginal
2018-09-20, 06:15 AM
For me isn't a reforging but a adding of material, isn't exaclty the same, and for the price i think your right it's DM decision

It's not like you're just changing the handle or adding a gem to the guard, you're talking about coating the whole blade with a new material. It does require re-working the blade, or else it'd be like pouring a lump of metal on your sword and expecting it to work just fine. Personally I think modifiying a magic item shouldn't be the easiest thing.

That being said, why do you want an adamantine Sword of Wounding? The adamantine isn't really going to help with the magic effect of the blade You could way more easily have an adamantine sword and a Sword of Wounding.

berserker7878
2018-09-20, 06:30 AM
It's not like you're just changing the handle or adding a gem to the guard, you're talking about coating the whole blade with a new material. It does require re-working the blade, or else it'd be like pouring a lump of metal on your sword and expecting it to work just fine. Personally I think modifiying a magic item shouldn't be the easiest thing.

That being said, why do you want an adamantine Sword of Wounding? The adamantine isn't really going to help with the magic effect of the blade You could way more easily have an adamantine sword and a Sword of Wounding.

when you hit a creature with a adamantine weapon, the damage overcomes the non magic immunity and resistance, it's the ability of adamatine weapon.

And for me it's essential to break the immunity and resistance to do optimal dmg, and associate this ability with the wouding blade ability it's very good

Unoriginal
2018-09-20, 06:36 AM
when you hit a creature with a adamantine weapon, the damage overcomes the non magic immunity and resistance, it's the ability of adamatine weapon.

Nope.

This is the ability of adamantine weapons:

Melee weapons and ammunition made of or coated with adamantine are unusually effective when used to break objects. Whenever an adamantine weapon or piece ofammunition hits an object, the hit is a critical hit.

And for me it's essential to break the immunity and resistance to do optimal dmg, and associate this ability with the wouding blade ability it's very good

You already have a magic weapon. You already ignore the immunity and resistance to non-magical attacks.

berserker7878
2018-09-20, 06:57 AM
Nope.

This is the ability of adamantine weapons:

You already have a magic weapon. You already ignore the immunity and resistance to non-magical attacks.

ok thk for the precision, i think i forge my 'harnois' 18 AC for gain the immunity of critical

in xanathar, have a good metal (official) for forge or reforge?