PDA

View Full Version : Hey, I got an idea...

TheKnifeofTrust
2007-09-15, 11:38 PM
Any thread with the word gender or prediction(s) in the title should be immediately closed by a Mod.
No, seriously. :annoyed:
What is the average age around here? 13?

I don't understand either of them. On ANYONE'S gender? It's BEEN discussed. What is the big deal? It's just part of the story. Let it go. Yes, I know what it says in my sig, so what? It's not a useless thread.

On your predictions? Seriously, who cares? Wow, you predicted what happened...Congratulations...or didn't...you fail. What is the point of this?

How about some intelligent conversation around here? Discussions, geekery, I mean even alignment over those two. Please?

The Extinguisher
2007-09-15, 11:55 PM
Hey, I've got an idea. Any thread that demands new rules should be closed down.

For the most part, it's a joke. It called satire of V's Gender threads. If you don't like it, just don't read them.

Caffeine Addict
2007-09-16, 05:13 AM
Not, it's not satire. It's bollocks. Or it's newbies who apparently haven't bother reading the back strips.

Is it possible for a comic's forum to jump the shark...?

Emperor Ing
2007-09-16, 05:18 AM
I have had it with:

Miko threads
V's gender threads (have your own opinion)
Belkar's Alignment threads (The Giant said he's chaotic evil, so SHADDUP!!)
Comic # 1 error pointer outer threads
Ridiculous threads (Roy's gender and Alignment? :yuk:)
Xykon vs <Insert random supervillan, or Rich, here> threads.

But we have to deal. :smallannoyed:

kpenguin
2007-09-16, 05:26 AM
As I've said before:

Prediction threads are the lifeblood of the forums. Without prediction threads, the only threads around would probably be stuff like "I think Belkar RCKS!" and "Roy SUCKS: Here's Why"

Prediction threads can actually be quite engaging. I remember lengthy debates over what would happen next, with sophisticated evidence and analysis. I don't see any reason to abandon them.

Also, the gender threads, while silly, aren't really that much a nuisance. Anyway, the mods seem to have already taken notice and its pointless to post a complaint thread. The staff has been pretty clear that it can handle things on its own, without the help of some concerned members.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-16, 10:05 AM

Actually, I am twelve years of age, and comparing this question with the hostile and annoyed undertones of your original post, I find this to be an attack against my levels of sophistication, intellect, and emotional maturity. :smallyuk:

Furthermore, today is the 16th of September. If I do recall correctly, the strip returns tomorrow, the 17th. Since the majority of these threads are fueled by the fact that there is no new strip to spark our imaginations and give birth to new rational thought, most of these threads will stop tomorrow with the rousing return of our beloved Order of the Stick.

Lastly, since you have created a thread here about all of the above subject matter without any true intelligent insight into the matter (as seen above), I feel that I am forced to lump you into the own group that you yourself labeled as immature: the thirteen year olds. Have you nothing better to do than wait a day for the superior status of this forum to return and for the embers of our imagination to be rekindled? If you do not, I suggest reading a book. The Dresden Files is a splendid fantasy/mystery series, if you have not already read it.

Translation: U GOT PWN'D BY A PRETEEN N00B :smallcool:

TheKnifeofTrust
2007-09-16, 10:33 AM
I think not mockingbyrd7.

Especially since you referred to yourself as a noob and used a "cool" smiley further proving your noob status. :smallbiggrin:

I'm just kidding. Good point. I didn't bring up any major solutions which I thought I'd be called out on. Though, it was more of a complaint and I did mention other types of threads that are more stimulating.

I've read plenty of books, thank you. Though, I was planning to read Dresden Files I've heard they are splendid. May I recommeded a series to you? The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. "A reimagining of the epic events of the Napoleonic Wars with an air force—an air force of dragons, manned by crews of aviators." They are simply my favorite books besides anything Tolkien. Outstanding.

Have you nothing better to do than wait a day for the superior status of this forum to return and for the embers of our imagination to be rekindled?
I guess not. :smallwink:

The 6th Side
2007-09-16, 10:53 AM
Actually, I am twelve years of age, and comparing this question with the hostile and annoyed undertones of your original post, I find this to be an attack against my levels of sophistication, intellect, and emotional maturity. :smallyuk:

Furthermore, today is the 16th of September. If I do recall correctly, the strip returns tomorrow, the 17th. Since the majority of these threads are fueled by the fact that there is no new strip to spark our imaginations and give birth to new rational thought, most of these threads will stop tomorrow with the rousing return of our beloved Order of the Stick.

Lastly, since you have created a thread here about all of the above subject matter without any true intelligent insight into the matter (as seen above), I feel that I am forced to lump you into the own group that you yourself labeled as immature: the thirteen year olds. Have you nothing better to do than wait a day for the superior status of this forum to return and for the embers of our imagination to be rekindled? If you do not, I suggest reading a book. The Dresden Files is a splendid fantasy/mystery series, if you have not already read it.

Damn he just got ownd xD

Regneva
2007-09-16, 10:55 AM
I agree that "gender threads" and the like SHOULD be banned. I support this idea.

Why? Because "prediction" threads and these recent threads are A LOT different. I love prediction threads and I find them entertaining and engaging.

Those "pixie threads" exist only to mock, fool around and have some "personal entertainment" that is of no interest to anybody but the thread opener. They could easily be told apart from the rest, serious (%3 of the board now) prediction threads.

I've tried to point this out by creating a similar thread, I tried replying to several others, I tried voicing my opinion, but it DID NOT WORK.

Whats worse is they equally enjoy infecting other threads with their nosense.

"laissez faire, laissez passer" didn't work! And it never will!
I believe we NEED this. There should be rules that prohibit obviously nonsensical threads so the true "prediction threads" can survive and florish.

basilisk 89
2007-09-16, 11:43 AM
Any thread with the word gender or prediction(s) in the title should be immediately closed by a Mod.
No, seriously. :annoyed:

I don't understand either of them. On ANYONE'S gender? It's BEEN discussed. What is the big deal? It's just part of the story. Let it go. Yes, I know what it says in my sig, so what? It's not a useless thread.

On your predictions? Seriously, who cares? Wow, you predicted what happened...Congratulations...or didn't...you fail. What is the point of this?

How about some intelligent conversation around here? Discussions, geekery, I mean even alignment over those two. Please?

I pretty much agree with mockingbyrd. Also, I thought MB was, like, twenty-five or something.

That said, I'm thirteen by a month and haven't started any ridiculous threads.

EDIT: I too cannot stand the ridiculous threads, but I solved that by not posting much during the hiatus.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-09-16, 02:03 PM
Well played Mockingbyrd7, very well played.

As for prediction threads, I like them. People bring up ideas about what will happen and we can all speculate on what Rich can do. Its all harmless fun.

Ichneumon
2007-09-16, 02:23 PM
The endless prediction and miko and gender threads made me leave the OotS boards.

StickMan
2007-09-16, 02:31 PM

Your my new Hero.

Porthos
2007-09-16, 02:44 PM
As an unabashed creator of "Prediction Threads", I feel this board would be a much poorer place without them. In their most basic form, they pose the question:

What Do You Think Will Happen Next?

And besides talking about the latest comic, I feel that this is the most basic and thought out question that one could have on an ongoing comic. In an engaging comic, it is perfectly natural for people to wonder and discuss what they think will happen.

If we're not going to talk amongst ourselves on what is going to happen next, what they heck should we talk about? Alignments of all of the characters (with the possible exception of V and the CitD) are all pretty much nailed down. We ain't going anywhere with the discussion of V's gender, and we already have dedicated threads for Rules Discussions. And, let's face it, there's only so many ways we can discuss/deconstruct past strips. :smallwink:

You ask for intelligent discussions? What could lead to more intellegent discussions than an disagreement on the future plotlines of the comic? Besides asking geeks to not speculate on the future of a thing they like is like asking a river not to be wet. :smalltongue: I've been on many, many, many boards dedicated to things geeks like (SF shows, movies, games, etc) and one thing they all have in common is wondering what will happen next.

So you'll pardon me if this river decides to stay wet. :smallamused:

Regneva
2007-09-16, 02:48 PM
I believe they should be banned.

kpenguin
2007-09-16, 02:58 PM
As an unabashed creator of "Prediction Threads", I feel this board would be a much poorer place without them. In their most basic form, they pose the question:

What Do You Think Will Happen Next?

And besides talking about the latest comic, I feel that this is the most basic and thought out question that one could have on an ongoing comic. In an engaging comic, it is perfectly natural for people to wonder and discuss what they think will happen.

If we're not going to talk amongst ourselves on what is going to happen next, what they heck should we talk about? Alignments of all of the characters (with the possible exception of V and the CitD) are all pretty much nailed down. We ain't going anywhere with the discussion of V's gender, and we already have dedicated threads for Rules Discussions. And, let's face it, there's only so many ways we can discuss/deconstruct past strips. :smallwink:

You ask for intelligent discussions? What could lead to more intellegent discussions than an disagreement on the future plotlines of the comic? Besides asking geeks to not speculate on the future of a thing they like is like asking a river not to be wet. :smalltongue: I've been on many, many, many boards dedicated to things geeks like (SF shows, movies, games, etc) and one thing they all have in common is wondering what will happen next.

So you'll pardon me if this river decides to stay wet. :smallamused:

*clap* *clap* *applause*

dish
2007-09-16, 04:13 PM
I'm going to chime in with my support for all the silly gender threads. Ok, so they're silly, and ridiculous, and aggravating to sensible souls who believe that all discussion about our favourite webcomic should be pure 'serious business'.

I like them. At worst they're mildly amusing. At best they're actually quite funny. (I guess I've always had a slightly anarchic sense of humour.) And the funniest thing is the number of sensitive souls they've managed to upset.

Green Bean
2007-09-16, 06:14 PM
The endless prediction and miko and gender threads made me leave the OotS boards.

Did it take? :smallamused:

A Rainy Knight
2007-09-16, 06:27 PM
The prediction threads are pretty good ones. Speculating about what is going to happen next can prod a lot of thoughtful discussions into coming forth. So no, I don't have a problem with prediction threads.

I'm not going to miss all these gender threads when OOTS comes back, though. Miko's gender? Belkar's gender? What's next, people? Haley's gender, perhaps? :smallannoyed: They just strike me as being a little too nonsensical. Don't get me wrong, I love nonsense, but those just pass the line of how much nonsense I can take. As for the V gender threads, I think most people just need to accept that V is androgynous. We're never going to reach a conclusive answer. Just believe in your own opinions and leave it at that.

Luckily, as of this posting, OOTS is coming back tomorrow! :biggrin:

Spiky
2007-09-16, 08:56 PM

Yes. And the prediction threads and love of them are proof of that. But at least they are mildly amusing unlike the gender threads, which are now just plain stupid. Even when they are just jokes.

Aww, isn't that cute! Almost as cute as Mr. Scruffy. Unfortunately, your nice mature post was completely contradicted by the useless final line. Congrats, you acted like a 15 year old.

Green Bean
2007-09-16, 09:03 PM
Aww, isn't that cute! Almost as cute as Mr. Scruffy. Unfortunately, your nice mature post was completely contradicted by the useless final line. Congrats, you acted like a 15 year old.

Either that was a very subtle joke, or you don't seem to get the point of that last line. :smallamused:

TheKnifeofTrust
2007-09-16, 11:12 PM

There isn't an acronym to describe how hard I laughed at that.
Wow, AWESOME.