PDA

View Full Version : So, I need help with a duergar PC

Dankus Memakus
2018-09-20, 10:38 AM
So, I have had some fellow students of mine approach me and ask if I could show them how to play D&d. As I spoke with them I deduced nobody has any experience with the game, however, one player has told me that he has been reading the lore for quite some time and told me that they absolutely wanted to play a Duergar. They told me to roll up a Duergar in the class they fit best. I have come to a dilemma. I can't decide what class this character should be. My first instinct is assassin or warrior due to the lore of Duergar. However I am really worried about sunlight sensitivity. So my next thought was to roll a wizard with lots of save spells. When I really thought about it however their enlarge ability seemed pretty useless to a wizard. So I am stuck. I have no idea what I should do with this character. I could use some suggestions on what I should do. I am not gonna use Homebrew or UA so please only suggest official solutions. Thanks everyone!

Unoriginal
2018-09-20, 10:49 AM
What adventures are they likely to go through?

A Duergar Cavalier could be pretty awesome. Sunlight Sensitivity isn't that big a deal.

Dankus Memakus
2018-09-20, 10:53 AM
What adventures are they likely to go through?

A Duergar Cavalier could be pretty awesome. Sunlight Sensitivity isn't that big a deal.

I'm not too sure what you mean? I run homebrew adventures all based in Forgotten Realms

Demonslayer666
2018-09-20, 11:03 AM
I would not worry too much about which class to pick since they are just starting out.

Personally, I would choose fighter, it's a little easier on the player.

If I were DM and one of my players had Sunlight Sensitivity, I would certainly have occasional battles be in direct sunlight, but not the majority of them. Looking back on recent games, most of the combats were indoor. Just have a random weather generator to see if it's a very sunny day if they happen to be outside. :smallsmile: