PDA

View Full Version : MtG Crossover: Colors of Magic?

Azreal
2018-09-20, 01:03 PM
Just curious to the people who are familiar with both universes. How do you think the MtG colors might come into play with the DnDverse stuff?

Unoriginal
2018-09-20, 01:13 PM
Given what we knows of the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica, the Colors are a philosophical concept that was shared by a bunch of worlds which were isolated from the rest of the Great Wheel, and which is just now discovering said universe is here.

So they won't really come into play, most likely, aside for the factions that were based on that concept.

Eragon123
2018-09-20, 01:14 PM
Keep in mind that individual spells might fall outside of these broad distinctions but here is a rough approximation.

Abjuration- White/Blue
Conjuration- Green/Red (though summons can obvious color this differently)
Divination- Blue (maybe a dash of red and black)
Enchantment- Blue/Red
Evocation- Blue/Red
Illusion- Blue/Black
Necromancy- Black/White
Transmutation- White/Blue/Green

Keep in mind that the colors blend VERY often where the schools are somewhat distinct despite some overlap (looking at you Enchantment and Illusion)

edit: added White to Necromancy

ciarannihill
2018-09-20, 01:44 PM
I think there's a video of Mike Mearls talking about the Ravnica book specifically, and he mentions that they focused more on the philosophies of the guilds, informed by their colors, than on the idea of colored mana. Doesn't mean it won't or can't show up, but it wasn't something they felt was a focus of the adaptation as much as the feel of Ravnica as a place.

Finback
2018-09-21, 12:53 AM
Yes, don't try to plot it too closely. Some's really obvious - Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc. and there's a tendency to go, "well, THOSE are both evocation, and both red spells, ergo all evocation is red mana", but that's trying to map two completely different sets of rules across each other. Chess and checkers/draughts both use a 8x8 black/white grid, and use figures that can jump, but one wouldn't say they were basically the same.

As ciarannihill notes, the Ravnican book is about the history of the world, it's politics and I cannot imagine it adding anything in terms of spells, etc. It *might* add some new sub-classes based off past UA material (I can see the Golgari typifying that Circle of Spores idea), but otherwise, it's going to be a lot more like the Sword Coast book, or the Mordenkainen's. Lore, with some creatures added, but nothing that changes the existing concept of "magic" and the rules.

MrStabby
2018-09-21, 03:20 AM
This might be of interest,:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?490201-Spell-list-as-Color-a-D-amp-D-MtG-crossover&highlight=mtg

GreyBlack
2018-09-21, 05:35 AM
Keep in mind that individual spells might fall outside of these broad distinctions but here is a rough approximation.

Abjuration- White/Blue
Conjuration- Green/Red (though summons can obvious color this differently)
Divination- Blue (maybe a dash of red and black)
Enchantment- Blue/Red
Evocation- Blue/Red
Illusion- Blue/Black
Necromancy- Black
Transmutation- White/Blue/Green

Keep in mind that the colors blend VERY often where the schools are somewhat distinct despite some overlap (looking at you Enchantment and Illusion)

Just a quibble, but I would argue that Necromancy is B/W, not just B. Both black and white get resurrection magic for different purposes.

That said, I'm also one of those weirdos who believes that the Cure Wounds and Healing Word spells should be necromancy, so grain of salt and all.

Edit to add: An oft overlooked part of MTG is that certain classes tend to hail from different colors as well (wizards from blue, etc). So another question might be where does each class tend to fall on the color wheel?

Justin Sane
2018-09-21, 05:51 AM
My Zendikar game uses Color instead of Alignment. Works out well enough.

MrStabby
2018-09-21, 07:06 AM
If I were to add colours of magic to D&D I think I would look for a mixed system.

Create a reduced list of spells for each class.
Create a reduced list of spells for each colour

You get to pick spells from both your class and colour. "Domain" spells are removed and replaced with a free pick from either of your pools.

So for example, bless might be both a cleric spell and a white spell. This would mean that a "green" cleric could take the spell but it would also be usable by a "white" eldritch knight.

Some spells would be likely to be on more lists than others.

No brains
2018-09-21, 07:24 AM
I'm a little hazy on my MTG Lore, but I think a Planeswalker (the people who play games of MTG) are the only ones that really make use of drawing colored mana from lands, and they are probably beyond even a 20th level caster in terms of power.

Colored mana may well exist in games, but it is likely something that may only be usable, or even observable, at the highest levels of play.

Also, where is my PC gonna get and keep eleven mountains for drawing mana? I'm gonna need a bigger portable hole!

ciarannihill
2018-09-21, 07:28 AM

This is actually a more nuanced way of doing alignment than DnD has, IMO, mostly because it doesn't have the negative baggage associated with the word Chaos (as opposed to it's use for alignment) or the whole "defining good vs evil" argument, it's far more about one's motivations/values/goals and the means by which they achieve them. And you aren't Red to the exclusion of White (even though white tends towards lawful and red towards chaotic), they can combine in different ways to form more or less nuanced things. The only issue is introducing this to players who don't play MtG also wouldn't be terribly practical for an actual mechanical shift.

Part of this might be that I'm a much longer time MtG player than DnD player so I understand the color wheel far more than DnD alignment, so grain of salt.

N810
2018-09-21, 07:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/KKKaooM.gif?1
this might help

Millstone85
2018-09-21, 07:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/KKKaooM.gif?1
this might helpBoth your avatar and this image appear as a [?].

This is because Imgur doesn't like this forum.

N810
2018-09-21, 08:33 AM
Works for me, I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.
https://magic.wizards.com/sites/mtg/files/image_legacy_migration/images/magic/daily/features/feat240a_colorwheel_red.jpg
(does this work for you?)

UrielAwakened
2018-09-21, 08:44 AM
It'd be nice to divide each spell up by color of mana.

Vogie
2018-09-21, 08:56 AM

If I was WotC, and wanted to start combining the IPs, this is what I would do.

The color pie effortlessly handles 1, 2, and 3 color combinations for creatures & philosophies, while the 9 alignments often have things that don't fit, or are left out completely.

Eragon123
2018-09-21, 09:03 AM
Just a quibble, but I would argue that Necromancy is B/W, not just B. Both black and white get resurrection magic for different purposes.

That said, I'm also one of those weirdos who believes that the Cure Wounds and Healing Word spells should be necromancy, so grain of salt and all.

I agree with everything you just said.

Edit to add: An oft overlooked part of MTG is that certain classes tend to hail from different colors as well (wizards from blue, etc). So another question might be where does each class tend to fall on the color wheel?
Ooh! Let's take a crack at this!

Barbarian
Frenzy- Red
Totem- Red/Green (Maybe a dash of white for the wolf totem?)
Battle Rager- Red
Zealot- Red White
Storm Herald- Red-Green (maybe the barest hint of blue)
Ancestral- Red, White, Green

Bard
Lore- Blue White (maybe a third color depending on spell choice)
Valor- Blue White (maybe a third color depending on spell choice)
Glamour- Blue White Red
Whispers- Blue White Black
Swords- Blue White

Cleric
Arcana- White Blue
Death- White Black
Forge -White Red
Grave- White Black (or maybe mono white)
Knowledge- White Blue
Life- White (maybe a dash of green)
Light- White Red
Nature- White Green
Order- White Blue (it's been pretty much confirmed released)
Tempest- White Red
Trickery- White, Blue, Black
War- White Red

Druid
Land- Green/Blue (maybe a third color depending on land choice)
Moon- Green/Red
Shepard- Green/White
Dreams- Green/White/Blue
Spores- Green/Black

Fighter
Champion- White
Battlemaster- White/red
Eldritch Knight- White/Blue/Red
Purple Dragon Knight- White
Cavalier- White
Samurai- White/Red
Arcane Archer- White/Blue/Green

Monk
Open Hand- White
Shadow- Blue/Black (can still see default monk white in there though)
4 elements- White/Red/Blue
Drunken Monk- White/Red
Kensei- White
Sun Soul- White/Red

Paladin
Devotion- White
Ancients- White/Green
Vengeance- White/Red(or black)
Crown- White (maybe a dash of blue)
Redemption- White
Conquest- White/Red/Black

Ranger
Hunter- Green/Red
Beastmaster- Green
Horizon Walker- Green/Blue
Monster Slayer- Green/Red
Gloom Staker- Green/Black

Rogue
Thief- Black
Assassin- Black/Blue
Arcane Trickster- Black/Blue
Swashbuckler- Black/Blue/White
Mastermind- Black/White
Inquisitive- Black/Blue
Scout- Black/Green

Sorcerer
Dragon- Red
Wild Magic- Red
Storm- Red/Blue
Divine Soul- Red/White
Shadow- Red/Black

Warlock
Base- Black
+
Boon
Blade- Red
Chain- Green/Blue (though this was the hardest for me to come up with)
Book- Blue
+
Patron
Archfey- Green
Fiend-Red
Great Old One- Blue
Undying-Black
Celestial-White
Hexblade-Black/Red

Wizard
Abjuration- White/Blue
Conjuration-Blue/Green
Divination- Blue
Enchantment- Blue/Red
Evocation- Blue/Red
Illusion- Blue
Necromancy- Blue/Black
Transmutation- Blue/Green
Bladesinger- Blue/Red
War Magic- Blue/White/Red

Let me know if you have questions or suggestions

ciarannihill
2018-09-21, 09:14 AM
If I was WotC, and wanted to start combining the IPs, this is what I would do.

The color pie effortlessly handles 1, 2, and 3 color combinations for creatures & philosophies, while the 9 alignments often have things that don't fit, or are left out completely.

Yeah the color pie has functionally ~25 "alignments" with nuanced differences even amongst those that are within them. It does also mean that if I'm G/B and someone else is G/B we might have differing beliefs and priorities in spite of that.

Eragon123
2018-09-21, 10:10 AM
Yeah the color pie has functionally ~25 "alignments" with nuanced differences even amongst those that are within them. It does also mean that if I'm G/B and someone else is G/B we might have differing beliefs and priorities in spite of that.

31 different alignments.
5 choose 0= 1 [but this is not counted]
5 choose 1= 5
5 choose 2= 10
5 choose 3= 10
5 choose 4= 5
5 choose 5= 1
5+10+10+5+1=31

63 if we include colorless (which is different than "choose 0")

UrielAwakened
2018-09-21, 10:12 AM
From an alignment standpoint colorless isn't really a color.

Colorless things are either wholly artificial (artifacts) or else so alien to the natural order of things as to be devoid of color (powerful Eldrazi).

In D&D, some constructs and powerful Aberrations would be colorless.

ciarannihill
2018-09-21, 10:15 AM
31 different alignments.
5 choose 0= 1 [but this is not counted]
5 choose 1= 5
5 choose 2= 10
5 choose 3= 10
5 choose 4= 5
5 choose 5= 1
5+10+10+5+1=31

63 if we include colorless (which is different than "choose 0")

I mean the reason I didn't include 4 or 5 color in my description is because realistically very few possible characters exist within those. They can, but they functionally don't (I know there's the 4 color commander cycle and the nephilim, but the 4 colors commanders all felt like they could've dropped a color without changing identity and the nephilim were a total mess).

But yeah, strictly speaking you have 32* alignments, even though for functional purposes I'd say 25 probably encompasses 99% of all characters.

*(Colorless Eldrazi forces of nature consuming all other mana type stuff)

Eragon123
2018-09-21, 10:24 AM
From an alignment standpoint colorless isn't really a color.

Colorless things are either wholly artificial (artifacts) or else so alien to the natural order of things as to be devoid of color (powerful Eldrazi).

In D&D, some constructs and powerful Aberrations would be colorless.

Agreed. That's why I did my explanation for my 31 number and not my 63 number.

I mean the reason I didn't include 4 or 5 color in my description is because realistically very few possible characters exist within those. They can, but they functionally don't (I know there's the 4 color commander cycle and the nephilim, but the 4 colors commanders all felt like they could've dropped a color without changing identity and the nephilim were a total mess).

But yeah, strictly speaking you have 32* alignments, even though for functional purposes I'd say 25 probably encompasses 99% of all characters.

*(Colorless Eldrazi forces of nature consuming all other mana type stuff)

I agree though I will point out the difference between colorless and choosing zero. choosing zero isn't colorless. it's rejecting everything whole cloth.

So I didn't include 5 choose 0 in my first number. Also I think Uriel had a good point about Colorless being artifacts/constructs/ and eldritch aberrations.

But yeah. I think we are saying the same thing and I'll apologize if my completeness came off as pedanticness.

ciarannihill
2018-09-21, 10:45 AM
But yeah. I think we are saying the same thing and I'll apologize if my completeness came off as pedanticness.

It didn't, you're fine. :smallsmile:

I agree though I will point out the difference between colorless and choosing zero. choosing zero isn't colorless. it's rejecting everything whole cloth.

So I didn't include 5 choose 0 in my first number. Also I think Uriel had a good point about Colorless being artifacts/constructs/ and eldritch aberrations.

"Choosing zero" isn't really a thing as far as MtG is concerned, though... Colorless also isn't a separate color (though they've blurred how it works slightly), it literally just means something devoid of colored mana, so I wouldn't have it be usable as an alignment, and therefore not including it is correct.

Here is something that is worth noting for completions-sake though...There are different ways to have the same 2 colors! Hybrid and multi-colored! Hybrid things exist wholly at the intersection of two colors (at least these days), doing things that can be considered either color. Multi-colored on the other hand tends towards doing multiple things that don't all neatly fit into a single color, and therefore require more than one.

In terms of alignment this could mean philosophical overlap as opposed to multiple personality facets, like how Green and White both value community and cooperation even though Green has a primal and tribal bent to it while white has a "develop societies and laws" direction they trend towards, where someone like Caleb from Critical Role has his intellectual/wizard side (firmly blue), but also his any means necessary (black) and his passionate/destructive side (red), resulting in a Grixis "alignment" in my view.

But this overcomplicates the issue a lot without necessarily giving that much extra nuance to the topic so it's not really worth including except for completeness. :P

Spriteless
2018-09-21, 11:48 AM
No love for snow? Of course not. It's been more than a decade and its philosophy was 'slow down but just a little.'

Colorless, I think, is the philosophy of imitating without having your heart in it. There are plenty of colorless cards that do what colored cards do, but are very expensive. Claws of Gyx allows Red to heal, Darksteel Colossus allows Blue to play with big stompies, and Ornithopher allows Green to fly. Also fits the artificial imitatiion of life, which most artifact creatures are.

I would rule something made mindless without the use of necromancy, say, an illithid's thrall, a colorless token, bereft of identity. On the other hand, I would have Wish be colorless, but cost 10 mana.

UrielAwakened
2018-09-21, 12:49 PM
Blue already has big stompies. It's just they're all leviathans or octopuses.

Wish is probably the best example of a five color spell honestly. Alternatively, copying the effects of other spells is very Blue.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-21, 12:56 PM
Note that most healing spells are Evocation.

Evocation, in DnD, is the creation of energy, where Conjuring is the summoning/creation of matter, and Transmutation is changing the laws within matter/energy.

I'd say Evocation was Red/White. Often times, there's not much logic involved with Evocation spells, as it's usually targeted towards blowing stuff up or healing others. Not a lot of finesse either way.

I'd say Enchantment was Black/Blue. Lots of possession in Enchantment spells.

I'd make Illusion straight blue.

GreyBlack
2018-09-22, 01:00 AM
*snip*
Let me know if you have questions or suggestions

Something that bugs me (and only me) is that bards are never considered to be green. I mean, they're wanderers, natural philosophers and in tune with the natural thrum of the universe as expressed through the string of the lute. As such, I would argue that the Bard would look more like this:

Glamour: U/G
Lore: U/G
Satire: G/B
Swords: W/G
Valor: R/G/W
Whispers: U/B/G

But, again. Personal opinion here.

MrStabby
2018-09-22, 05:33 AM
I don't think spell schools should tie to colour. Or at least not explicitly.

Evocation, for example can cover a lot of elemental damage. Fire and lightning are tending to red, cold to blue and cyclone/wind effects to green. I would be more comfortable mapping effects to colours than schools of magic. Necrotic damage is black, radiant is white etc.. I have no problem with overlap either. Cure wounds can be white and green for example.

Azreal
2018-09-22, 10:33 AM
I don't think spell schools should tie to colour. Or at least not explicitly.

Evocation, for example can cover a lot of elemental damage. Fire and lightning are tending to red, cold to blue and cyclone/wind effects to green. I would be more comfortable mapping effects to colours than schools of magic. Necrotic damage is black, radiant is white etc.. I have no problem with overlap either. Cure wounds can be white and green for example.

I agree that with the exception of Illusion none of the schools map 100% to any Color.

BoxANT
2018-09-22, 12:17 PM
Izzet masterrace

Eragon123
2018-09-22, 04:23 PM
Something that bugs me (and only me) is that bards are never considered to be green. I mean, they're wanderers, natural philosophers and in tune with the natural thrum of the universe as expressed through the string of the lute. As such, I would argue that the Bard would look more like this:

Glamour: U/G
Lore: U/G
Satire: G/B
Swords: W/G
Valor: R/G/W
Whispers: U/B/G

But, again. Personal opinion here.

You know that's a very good point. I was just going off the philiosophy of lots of small healing and buffs but clearly WotC agrees more with you as all bards in MTG are Green.

furby076
2018-09-22, 11:10 PM
Blue already has big stompies. It's just they're all leviathans or octopuses.

Wish is probably the best example of a five color spell honestly. Alternatively, copying the effects of other spells is very Blue.

Fork :)

It's how i won a colored tournnament once. This was back when Fork could be used 4x in a deck. Actually mid-championship round the rules were updated limiting fork to 1...but the tourney organizer ruled that it was not fair (to me) to change rules mid sessions.

I won using a fork :)

UrielAwakened
2018-09-23, 12:28 PM
On a whim I went through the cantrips:

White:

Blade Ward
Booming Blade
Light
Mending
Resistance
Sacred Flame
Spare the Dying
Sword Burst
Thaumaturgy
Word of Radiance

Blue:
Friends
Frostbite
Guidance
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost
Shape Water
True Strike
Vicious Mockery

Black:
Acid Splash
Chill Touch
Eldritch Blast
Infestation
Poison Spray
Toll the Dead

Red:
Control Flames
Create Bonfire
Dancing Lights
Fire Bolt
Green-flame Blade
Lightning Lure
Produce Flame
Shocking Grasp
Thunderclap

Green:
Druidcraft
Gust
Magic Stone
Mold Earth
Primary Savagery
Shillelagh
Thorn Whip

MrStabby
2018-09-23, 12:58 PM
Most of these I would agree with, although some seem odd.

Booming blade as white? What is it about thunder damage that is white? To me thunder is about storms which are red (lightning bolt) or green (hurricane) in my mind. Even the "don't do something or it will hurt" punishment cards were all red or black (thinking things like temporal extortion).

Mending? I see this as associated with artefacts, constructions etc.. in MTG this seemed to be blue and red with the greatest affinity.

Thaumaturgy? Maybe white. I really don't know where to put this. More a lack of certainty than real disagreement.

In the blue set...
Friends... I could see this as white for peacemaking or black as pernicious mind control as well as blue.

Your black list highlights some of the challenges. Acid spray? What about acid as a damage type seems black? Eldritch blast - is it just the name? Lots of direct force damage is hard to place but to me this feels a bit like ghostflame. Infestation might be green, but I see black being pretty empty if you don't put all of these there.

Red seems easier . I have no disagreements with any on your list. I guess this is easier as there are a good number of fire themed spells.

Green seems fine other than mold earth. Earth, rock and stone to me is more red themed.

Now I have to admit this is based on MTG about 15 years ago when I last played it so it might have shifted a bit.

the_brazenburn
2018-09-23, 02:52 PM
A fair number of your spells could fit into multiple categories.

I think Prestidigitation is U/R/W and Thaumaturgy is U/W/B. Guidance is blue-white. Acid Splash could maybe be sort of B/G.

Wish they'd make Crippling Chill (or Frost Breath, or Encrust, or other disabling blue ice effect) into a D&D spell, though.

Azreal
2018-09-23, 06:32 PM
A fair number of your spells could fit into multiple categories.

Wish they'd make Crippling Chill (or Frost Breath, or Encrust, or other disabling blue ice effect) into a D&D spell, though.

Couldn't you reflavor Frostbite to be one of those? At least on a lesser scale.

Teaguethebean
2018-09-23, 10:17 PM
I View the colors as fitting into a traditional Alignment chart as such
Lawful-Blue
Chaotic-Red
Neutral-Green
Good-White
Evil-Black

Azreal
2018-09-23, 11:09 PM
Lawful-Blue
Chaotic-Red
Neutral-Green
Good-White
Evil-Black

The issue I have with that however is that White represents Order and Law. Law Mages are White Mages. White can easily be considered the second most evil color. Individuals don't matter only the whole. White is very much the "For the Greater Good" as a color by its virtues. White happily delves into oppression.

Blue doesn't like laws. That gets in the way of manipulation, trickery and the like which Blue frequently employs. Blue is the color of Logic, but logic doesn't mean being lawful. I wouldn't consider Jace Lawful, or Tezzeret. In fact I wouldn't consider any Planeswalker that is Blue to be Lawful outside of Tamiyo really. The Lawful ones have white splashed in.

the_brazenburn
2018-09-24, 06:45 AM
The issue I have with that however is that White represents Order and Law. Law Mages are White Mages. White can easily be considered the second most evil color. Individuals don't matter only the whole. White is very much the "For the Greater Good" as a color by its virtues. White happily delves into oppression.

Blue doesn't like laws. That gets in the way of manipulation, trickery and the like which Blue frequently employs. Blue is the color of Logic, but logic doesn't mean being lawful. I wouldn't consider Jace Lawful, or Tezzeret. In fact I wouldn't consider any Planeswalker that is Blue to be Lawful outside of Tamiyo really. The Lawful ones have white splashed in.

I once saw somebody who said that there are actually five color-alignment charts, one from the perspective of each color. The one we use is the White perspective, which has White in the Lawful and Good slots. Then Blue is Neutral on the Good-Evil axis, Green is Neutral on the Law-Chaos axis, Red is Chaos, and Black is Evil.

Course, I don't think very much of mono-white philosophy, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

MrStabby
2018-09-24, 07:11 AM
I don't think colours map to alignment particularly well.

White as lawful good for example.

A lawful good paladin could be rash and impetuous, using instinct rather than considered judgement to determine who they believe has violated those laws they hold dear. Their passion for bringing to justice those that breach the laws borders or fury. Such a characterisation is not incompatible with lawful good but is also a "red" alignment.

I do think there can be some correlation - black themes are not likely to be good for example.

I think a lot of the problem is that colours are more values and personality than alignment.

UrielAwakened
2018-09-24, 10:02 AM
Yeah other than White being Always Lawful, and Red being Always Chaotic, and thus Red White being confusing at best, there's very little alignment overlap in colors. White is "usually good" and Black is "usually evil" but not always.

the_brazenburn
2018-09-24, 10:17 AM
Yeah other than White being Always Lawful, and Red being Always Chaotic, and thus Red White being confusing at best, there's very little alignment overlap in colors. White is "usually good" and Black is "usually evil" but not always.

And R/B is always CE cokeheads.

Unless you're talking Kamigawa, but Kamigawa is weird.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-24, 10:31 AM
Lawful-Blue
Chaotic-Red
Neutral-Green
Good-White
Evil-Black

Actually, after looking at it, while it doesn't represent DnD very accurately, it does represent MtG very well.

While Blue-White is one of the outliers (Blue-White in MtG is more Lawful Neutral as opposed to Lawful Good), almost every other example works perfectly.

Of course, there are the cases where opposites collide, but even those make some kind of sense. Red-Blue is about controlling chaotic elements to your whim. White-Black would be about zealotry and cults. And in the MtG universe, those align fairly well.

Chaotic-Evil? Definitely fits Rakdos (Red/Black). Lawful-Chaotic? Sounds like Neutral, but a lot less boring (and that definitely suits Izzet).

Even the argument that, in MtG, Bards are Green and Green being the alignment for neutrality (in this example) and Bards are unaligned wanderers, it works out almost perfectly.

It is worth noting that most Bards in MtG are closer to being social Druids. Most of them have some ability related to expensive mana costs, which correlates more to MONSTERS than humanoids.

ciarannihill
2018-09-24, 10:32 AM

Well it's important to remember that all the colors are amalgamations of multiple ideals, viewpoints and philosophies -- anything that identifies with any part of that identity can be considered within that color.
For example: Red tends towards Chaos, but it also has to do with destruction, emotion, passion, and artistic endeavors. White tends towards Law, but also has community first, life, nurture, protection, militarism and pacifism (yeah, both) as attributes. Combining them isn't about trying to line up all of these aspects, it's about making sense of their most cooperative aspects and allowing them to organically merge. Do so for Red/White and we end up with the Boros legion, a militaristic police force (white) known for their zealous (red) pursuit of justice (white) even at the expense of collateral damage (red).

All of the guilds find this delicate balance between their two identities, even some that seem totally opposed -- the Golgari swarm are tied to Green and Black, which contain the aspects of life and death respectively. One might assume because these are opposing aspects one would steer clear, but the Golgari make use of both, acting as the farmers and gravekeepers of the plane. They entomb those who've died and provide sustenance for those who live. This balance and cycle is intrinsic to how the Golgari as a whole operate, but there tend to be multiple factions within every guild as well (with the exception of Selesnya generally, because sort of hive mind-y compared to the others).

You could probably write a full reference book on the guilds and how beautifully they merge the color identities of the colors, and I'm sure WotC has a bible for their design team on that very subject when it comes to Ravnica. Almost certainly made by Mark Rosewater.