PDA

View Full Version : Dual Wielder and Volley

MThurston
2018-09-20, 03:57 PM
If I take Dual Wielder can I throw 4 daggers/axes using the Spell or at 5 level Ranger? I am assuming that I can throw 4 with 2 attacks.

PhantomSoul
2018-09-20, 04:11 PM
The Spell requires an Action and doesn't involve taking the Attack Action, so dual-wielding offers no benefit (shy of something like Haste): you simply cast the spell as written with no extra damage using a single piece of ammunition or a single weapon.

o n j u r e V o l l e y
5th-level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S , M (one piece o f ammunition or one
thrown weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous
You fire a p iece o f nonmagical ammunition from a
ranged weapon or throw a nonmagical w eapon into
the air and choose a point within range. Hundreds of
duplicates o f the ammunition or weapon fall in a volley
from above and then disappear. Each creature in a
40-foot-radius. 20-foot-high cylinder centered on that
point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature
takes 8d8 damage on a failed save, or half as much
damage on a successful one. The damage type is the
same as that o f the ammunition or weapon.

In case you mean the level 11 Hunter ability, you again use your full action to do a separate not-the-attack-action attack that tells you what it does (one attack roll per target, multiple targets; dual-wielding has no effect).

Volley. You can use your action to make a ranged
attack against any number o f creatures within 10 feet
o f a point you can see within your w eapon’s range. You
must have ammunition for each target, as normal, and
you make a separate attack roll for each target.

If you mean Extra Attack (that's level 5) affecting your offhand attack (bonus action), it doesn't; you still only get a single offhand attack with your bonus action, as before. You could throw only a single weapon with your bonus action.

Two-W e a p o n F ig h t in g
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light
melee weapon that you’re holding in one hand, you can
use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee
weapon that you’re holding in the other hand. You don’t
add your ability m odifier to the damage o f the bonus
attack, unless that modifier is negative.
If either w eapon has the thrown property, you
can throw the w eapon, instead o f making a melee
attack with it.

pygmybatrider
2018-09-20, 04:20 PM
If I take Dual Wielder can I throw 4 daggers/axes using the Spell or at 5 level Ranger? I am assuming that I can throw 4 with 2 attacks.

Good question. My first response is that you could probably do this without the feat, since a thrown attack is a ranged attack. I'd also rule that this specific instance overrules the general rule about object interactions/drawing weapons.

Volley. You can use your action to make a ranged attack against any number of creatures within 10 feet of a point you can see within your weapon’s range. You must have ammunition for each target, as normal, and you make a separate attack roll for each target.

The big question mark is over the word ammunition, I am sure there are some DMs who would rule that it only applies to weapons with the Ammunition property - and they'd be well within their rights to do so. I'd be inclined to lean the other way however, what with it being weaker in practice than shooting a bunch of arrows from a longbow or bolts from a crossbow, and how little support there is for thrown builds in the first place.

The poster above has hit the nail on the head if you meant something other than the Ranger's Volley feature. The spell Conjure Volley is something totally different, and Extra Attack gives you two attacks with your Action, but you can still only use your bonus action to make one additional attack. Dual Wielder does help there with drawing additional weapons, since you can throw two, draw two, throw one, but you are left with only one in hand at the start of your next turn.

MThurston
2018-09-20, 05:30 PM
Cool.

It is not easy trying to make a thrown weapon build. I should have realized that it's 3 attacks and not 4 with the 5th level bonus attack. And I did mean the ability to target everyone in a 10ft area.