PDA

View Full Version : AL legal Alchemist

Drazhar
2018-09-21, 08:15 AM
So my DM and I are working together to get an Alchemist idea working while working in the confines of Adventurers League rules. We are starting Dragon Heist and I want to make a character like the typical bank robber trope of the "bomb guy". The idea being is I would create devices for traps, or blowing doors open for suprise rounds, or maybe getting underneath a manor and blowing the foundation... stuff like that.

Of course, I do not want to abuse this mechanic (bombs everywhere!) I want them for real RP purposes.

The build:

Human V. Crossbow Expert (gotta have a hand gun)
Gloom Stalker Ranger, reasons for this, since I have no access to UA Alchemist, I picked this up cause it's cool and I will take skills in Nature and Survival for scavenging purposes.
after level 5-
Scout Rogue, for the expertise in Nature and Survival and sneaking better... to lay traps and such.

The question is, how do I use my Alchemist Supplies to achieve this build while at the same time not abusing it or making it OP so that the DM will accept it?

Thanks for any ideas!

Naanomi
2018-09-21, 08:34 AM
I mean... you are not leaning this direction, but Fabricate is always the way to make crafting practical and immediate; if I were building an alchemist, transmuter (or maybe Lore Bard poaching that spell) is where I’d start

Drazhar
2018-09-21, 10:39 AM
I mean... you are not leaning this direction, but Fabricate is always the way to make crafting practical and immediate; if I were building an alchemist, transmuter (or maybe Lore Bard poaching that spell) is where I’d start

I see where you are going with this, but it is not the flavor I was going for. I am really trying to stay away from magic as the source of this. I want it to be a physical thing, and so we are thinking that between sessions I can spend gold on supplies and have a limited number of "items" for use. Now I can also stock pile them for the "Big Job" or use them here and there.

But the feel for the character is about searching the wilds for items and ingredients and bringing them back and making something out of it.

solidork
2018-09-21, 10:40 AM
The question is, how do I use my Alchemist Supplies to achieve this build while at the same time not abusing it or making it OP so that the DM will accept it?

Basically? You don't, especially not in AL.

Check the DM's guild to see if someone else has already created an entirely new crafting system for 5e, but that is sort of outside the scope of what you're going to get from a forum post.

Vogie
2018-09-21, 11:28 AM
Basically? You don't, especially not in AL.

Check the DM's guild to see if someone else has already created an entirely new crafting system for 5e, but that is sort of outside the scope of what you're going to get from a forum post.

Yeah, being in AL severely limits what you have available.

To be honest, the "easiest" way to do something like this would be a "nonmagical" Evocation wizard, fluffing away all casting with roleplay and avoiding all utility spells. You have to keep a hand free to cast a fire bolt throw a Molotov cocktail

Acid splash is an acid bomb
Color Spray is a Flashbang
fireball is a grenade
your Acid arrow is launched from your crossbow
shatter is a sonic grenade
and so on. Your Sculpt Spells feature now reads as "Shaped Charges", Potent Cantrips is now "Deadeye Toss", Empowered Evocation is now "Empowered Explosive", and Overchannel is now "The Fine Line Between Genius and Insanity", because sometimes your bombs are perfection, and other times they literally blow up in your hands.

Keravath
2018-09-21, 02:11 PM
There really isn't a way to do this within AL since "bombs" aren't a thing in D&D in general. There aren't explosives.

Waterdeep introduces some sort of firearm using a special kind of powder as a propulsive agent for the round but there are no explosives. The only explosion like events in D&D are due to spells.

Without rules to support the existence and crafting of explosive devices, you can't build what you are thinking of within an AL context since all of the device rules would be home brewed.

Existing alchemy recipes could include alchemists fire but that is about it and it isn't very effective. You could also have vials of acid or holy water which might be able to deal damage to specific targets if thrown and broken but they aren't trap devices or explosives.

Homebrew sure ... AL legal unlikely.