PDA

View Full Version : Help with background please? =)

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 04:11 AM
Hi!

Im starting a new campaign set in the warhammer fantasy universe. Very new to that world, but familiar with the system.

We use a sweden system called eon that lets you create very interesting chjaracters. ^^

Im playing the wizards female bodyguard.
I want to play her like the maidens of the spear in Wheel of time. Personalitywise that is. Not obeying orders the least, and hellbent on protecting him to the very last.

To do that I thought that it probably isnt the wizard that has hired me, but maybe his father... or something like that. And that I owe my emplyer my life.

The flaws that i got (love eon^^) are, paranoid, gamblingproblem, hunted (as in a very powerful organisation is out to get me), and skinny (wich with my extreme str and con score only makes me look like a normal fit woman)

The "virtues" not the right word... but my english isnt perfect are. Perfect darkvision, extra damage with my fists, extra strength, very fast, elemental resistence, enchanting voice (makes any skills using my voice. like seduce, diplomacy, bluff) easier. There are three more, but i dont remeber them. ^^

Any suggestions to her background is welcome. Im am lousy at coming up with good storys, but quite a good roleplayer once i get my character concept together. ^^

Kaelaroth
2007-09-16, 04:16 AM
Hi.

Slightly confused about the character, but I'll go with it.

- Born under an evil star? Giving her her powers.

- Struck by lightning, in the manner of Gwen Raiden? Swap out the resistance for Electricity 25, and make her natural attacks electric?

- Part of a vampiric bloodline, granting her her powers, and adventure hooks if they want her back?

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 04:24 AM
Were playing a good campaign, so the vampire and evil star wont work. The wizard would kill me in a heartbeat. ^^

What are you confused about? Maybe I can help clarify.^^

Krelon
2007-09-16, 04:47 AM
He could be your younger brother :smallwink:

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 05:04 AM
He could be your younger brother

yeah, I thought about that. ^^ But the DM said no. We are not supposed to know eachother that well. Apparently, I havent benn his bodyguard for very long at all.

Krelon
2007-09-16, 06:30 AM
if he is cute, you could have a crush on him.

the calm approach:

you know, he is the brainy type living in theories and you have a lot of experience in the real world, therefore he needs protecting, alot. Now, no self respecting heroine would just do everything a guy tells her (no matter how cute) but she wouldn't let him come to harm, neither.

maybe if you are 'just-normal-looking' and a little shy, maybe you wouldn't show your affection directly. Just throwing in a hint or two he will overlook for sure.

the amazon approach:

well, you know, just don't scare him too much

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-16, 07:21 AM
Well, if you're dead set on fist damage, choose monk, but that's usually a bad choice.

If you want darkvision, choose dwarf. No LA, darkvision 60 (I don't think anything has perfect darkvision).

But if you want to be like a Maiden, then you should be wielding a spear, shouldn't you?

Pauwel
2007-09-16, 07:29 AM
Well, if you're dead set on fist damage, choose monk, but that's usually a bad choice.

If you want darkvision, choose dwarf. No LA, darkvision 60 (I don't think anything has perfect darkvision).

But if you want to be like a Maiden, then you should be wielding a spear, shouldn't you?

Fortunately for them they aren't using DnD, but apparently some kind of point buy system.

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 07:35 AM
Pauwel

^^ yeah, the flaws and virtues are actually rolled up. Nothing I get to choose.

And to all of you. Thanks for the help. ^^
But i have all the crunch (is that right?) fixed already. What I need is suggestions to her background. Why is she a bodyguard? How come shes got gamblingproblems, why is she hunted. Stuff like that =)

Lord_Gareth
2007-09-16, 07:43 AM
Alright, the following assumes that you serve the Imperium of Man -

The wizard is a mildly important servant of the Emporer who cannot really protect himself in battle. After his last bodyguard died, your character was assigned to him.

Your character, however, has made some rather bad enemies. A Chaos Cult hunts her because she killed its former leader, and she has yet to tell anyone about this. She lives in fear and prays fervantly not to be caught (Paranoia), and often finds that the only way she can unwind is with a pair of dice or a deck of cards (Gambling Problems).

That work?

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-16, 08:11 AM
Keep in mind Gareth, that this is FANTASY warhammer. I guess as a point of origin Bretonia would be the logical choice, it's a civilsed place with many problems.

Why is she hunted? Because she angered the royal knights, and has a bounty on her head. They were angered because she won all their money while gambling.

Lord_Gareth
2007-09-16, 08:17 AM
My bad, but my version still works ^_^

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-16, 08:28 AM
True. It does indeed work, and it's flushed out a bit too, which might help her to finish off all the details.

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 08:47 AM
Lord_Gareth

I love that. ^^ Ive been thinking about combining her gambling problem with a drinking problem as well.

The wizard is in fact a quite powerful, only 18 and with powers way beyond normal. But I think that works as well. As I understood the powers that be (the empire?) dont like him very much and often send him out on dangerous mission... A bit like Miko. ^^

Maybe I would welcome the thought to travel far away from the chaos cult... ^^

Dullyanna
2007-09-16, 09:18 AM
It may be a bit cliche', but your character could be hunted by something equivalent to the mafia due to the massive debts that arose from excessive gambling (But then, chaos cults are always nifty). Furthermore, if the wizard you're guarding is powerful enough that the empire considers him dangerous, that in itself would offer a degree of protection.

RTGoodman
2007-09-16, 09:46 AM
For most of your life, you lived as a gambler, drifter, thief, and general rogue-ish lass (explains gambling problem, paranoia, skinny, darkvision, very fast, and enchanting voice) . However, one day a few years ago, all of that got you some things that you probably shouldn't have (either unknowingly or just because you wanted to take the risk).

Now, on the run from some giant evil (or good) conglomerate that is hunting you down, you've decided to go "undercover," training for a while as a Maiden of the Spear (or at least pretending it) and taking a job as bodyguard to whatever powerful person you happened to come across first (probably by setting up some sort of scenario where you could say that they saved your life, and know you must devote your life to protecting them).

EDIT: I just read the above post, and I think that's probably the best way to explain the Hunted flaw - you gambled and lost all of a former bosses wealth, and now you're trying to prevent others from killing you, and still trying to decide whether or not you want to live life in hiding or find some way to repay him.

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 10:08 AM
rtg0922

Thats a great idea! ^^

That shes gone undercover sounds really fun to play, and could make for some nice plothooks.

And the gambling thing sounds fun as well. Ill have to check with my DM to see if there are som kind of "mafia" in this world. ^^

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-16, 10:15 AM
Are you using the WoT world? A trip to Seanchan and mabye even Seandar would be interestign for the wizard. . .

Dullyanna
2007-09-16, 10:18 AM
I forgot about the paranoid trait. That ties in pretty damn well with being hunted by some generic organized-crime type... organization. Not sure if the Enchanting Voice thing fits with an aiel spear-maiden. I'd try to go for a different character concept, unless you can get your DM to let you reroll that trait.

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 10:38 AM
Dullyanna

yeah, I thought about doing that, there are so many other cool stuff i can get instead. ^^ Ill see if he lets me tomorrow.
But, Im not trying to play an Aiel, as in fierce spear wielding honorable woman, only adopting their way of protecting Rand. :smallbiggrin:

Dullyanna
2007-09-16, 10:52 AM
@ Kiyona: Now I understand exactly what you're going for. Now I see her as a little bit] overprotective (Paranoia), and using her Enchanting Voice (Or her fists, if that doesn't work) to keep the wizard from doing something she thinks will put him at risk.

Kiyona
2007-09-16, 11:29 AM
Dullyanna

Hehe, yea exactly ^^ Thats how I see her. Overprotecting and paranoid. Always willing to put herself at risk, but never him. :smallbiggrin:

Kenbert
2007-09-16, 12:41 PM
Wow, sounds like the character you rolled up has some amazing roleplaying potential. I also like the "gambling problem --> hunted by crime boss" scenario. Something else I'd consider (to add on to this, not replace it) is that you sought protection by going to another organization (underground or legitimate). They offered to protect you if you performed certain services for them. So, you get a little training from them, and since they either: (a) have their eyes on this wizard for good or ill or (b) have a contact whom they owe a favor who wants the wizard protected, they send you to keep an eye on him. If you fail, you're gonna be on your own again, without protection from the crime boss. If you succeed, or perhaps after you complete this assignment and a few others, the organization will bargain with the crime boss on your behalf.

Comments?

(Also -- this "eon" system sounds interesting. is there a site that I could check out that is in english? the only pages i've found are in swedish, which i cannot read :-()

Kiyona
2007-09-17, 12:23 AM
Kenbert

Oh, Thats a great approach. ^^ It gives me a whole new reason to keep the wizard alive. and lots of roleplay. Nice ^^

Eon is without question my favorite gamesystem ever. The world is very interesting and the system can easily be used in any kind of fantasy setting if you want something new. Theres tons of rules for every little thing imaginable, but its designed so that you can pick out only the rules you want to use.

Unfortunatly I dont think there is a translated version, but I'll see what I can find. ^^

I have thought about translating it myself, but it is waaay to much work. Theres way to many "splatbooks"... is that the right word?

Gralamin
2007-09-17, 01:12 AM
Kenbert

Oh, Thats a great approach. ^^ It gives me a whole new reason to keep the wizard alive. and lots of roleplay. Nice ^^

Eon is without question my favorite gamesystem ever. The world is very interesting and the system can easily be used in any kind of fantasy setting if you want something new. Theres tons of rules for every little thing imaginable, but its designed so that you can pick out only the rules you want to use.

Unfortunatly I dont think there is a translated version, but I'll see what I can find. ^^

I have thought about translating it myself, but it is waaay to much work. Theres way to many "splatbooks"... is that the right word?

As in books that contain additional information not stored in the first rulebook? then Splatbook is the correct term (or supplements)

Kenbert
2007-09-18, 09:03 AM
Kenbert

Thanks for the help ... :smallsmile: