PDA

View Full Version : Next origon book.

Emperor Demonking
2007-09-16, 05:10 AM
What should the next origin book be about and what should it be called.

Linear guild- opissites attract.

Elfanatic
2007-09-16, 05:36 AM
'Origon'? Is that something like origami? :smallamused:

Seriously, I think the next book will be about either the Order of the Scribble, or the Linear Guild. They seem to be the only ones in the comic without an origin book (unless I missed something).

JasonDoomsblade
2007-09-16, 05:52 AM
The Linear Guild Opposites Attract. That is very creative. Wish I thought of it.

Ecalsneerg
2007-09-16, 06:15 AM
I'd say it would be about the Linear Guild. Start of Darkness and Origin of PCs were about Team Xykon and the OoTS respectively. The Order of the Scribble, while plot integral, aren't as integral to the current storyline. They're the reason for it to happen, but don't matter otherwise. The Linear Guild, on the other hand, are the third main faction in the plot.

DanMan
2007-09-16, 06:27 AM
There's no reason that both couldn't be done. Double the fun for us and double the work for Rich! Hmmmn... Maybe this should be reframed, Double the fun for us and potentially double the profits for Rich!

Seriously, is there any indication that Rich intends to do more Origin books?

Green Bean
2007-09-16, 07:07 AM
I think it'll be something along the lines of 'On Origin of NPCs'. Basically, backgrounds of the LG, Sapphire Guard, maybe even the Oracle.

Tempest Fennac
2007-09-16, 07:13 AM
I don't know so much about the oracle or Sapphire Guard, but I think a Linear Guild book could work (the problem with the oracle is that, while his information is improtant, he dosn't have much else to do with the plot, and I don't know if there is that much to say about the Sapphire Guard). Admittedly, it may work if they were included in a book with the Linear Guild.

Kurald Galain
2007-09-16, 07:23 AM
On the Origin of that Goblin that Died in Strip Eleven.

Oxymoron
2007-09-16, 07:26 AM
A linear guild book WILL come, but not after the plot with Elans father has been resolved. The linear guild have to much unresolved background not to be included. How did Nale meet Sabine and Thog? Why did Nale fall out with his father and so on? I hope for a Scribble book but that is more wishful thinking.

Chrismith
2007-09-16, 10:32 AM
I think that the evidence is more in favor of an Order of the Scribble book than a Linear Guild Book. The origin books are numbered sequentially starting at 0 and going down; On the Origin of PCs was 0, and Start of Darkness was -1. So the next origin book would be -2, and would have to come (mostly) before SoD.

LM TR
2007-09-16, 11:13 AM
I want more Miko!

Elfanatic
2007-09-16, 12:07 PM
I think that the evidence is more in favor of an Order of the Scribble book than a Linear Guild Book. The origin books are numbered sequentially starting at 0 and going down; On the Origin of PCs was 0, and Start of Darkness was -1. So the next origin book would be -2, and would have to come (mostly) before SoD.

What in the nine blue hells are you talking about?

Raeden
2007-09-16, 12:09 PM
Any book including thog is a good book.

Dr. Magic
2007-09-16, 01:07 PM
What in the nine blue hells are you talking about?

I think its quite simple nerd-logic, really. If the next "prequel" would be "Minus 2", then it really SHOULD occur before "Minus 1".

OR he could do book "2 and a half" and fill us in on the Linear Guild then. Or even a prequel numbered "Half".

I think a side-adventure book would be cool, involving Roy's sister or something.

NerfTW
2007-09-16, 01:22 PM
Except that SoD and Origin of PCs overlap eachother. Durkon's story begins well before SoD ends.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-16, 01:30 PM
I'd like to see a Miko book.

:thog: But I like puppies!
Yet, according to my own love of puppies, ice-cream and unquenchable rage, I choose the Linear Guild.

Ancalagon
2007-09-16, 01:59 PM
I'd be surprised if there was another "custom" book. Origin or even something else. About origins there are only two probable possibilites left: Linear Guild and Sapphire Guard (Focus on Miko).
Of course, there is also another possibility: Order of the Scribble. You also could use OotS for it. :)

Maybe once the comic is done, but before that... last time Rich talked about other projects it did not sound that promising. Well... I guess we just wait. If another "custom" (not just summing up the comic) book comes out, I'll but it as well. :)

NerfTW
2007-09-16, 02:35 PM
Rich stated in the news post from July 7th (still on the news page) that he had 4-5 projects almost done. Two were probably the game expansions and one is the next compilation. Most likely the remaining one or two is going to be another origin book and something unrelated.

I would, however, expect it to be delayed a while due to his illness. Also, because he wouldn't want to release two books so close together.

David Argall
2007-09-16, 02:57 PM
Well, we should be eager for anything offered, but a LG book is just sorta something. It is not a standout that we have a major need for. How the PCs got together? Definitely of interest. The history of the chief opposition?, especially when parts of their relationship seems a bit strange? Yes. But some gang of 2nd raters who are there as speed bumps? As said, we will give thanks if we get it, but we will give thanks if we get something else instead.

Indeed, there may be good reason to delay, or reject, such a book. Presumably Book 5 will be the Western Gate and will feature Lord Tyrania, Elan, Nale, and Haley. While we could get the prequel first, that would take a fair amount of the mystery out of the main strip. It can be done, but it can be a bother. And if we have the strip first, we have the generated interest in the prequel.

BlackMageJ
2007-09-16, 04:00 PM
How about a book about the gods?

It could start at the destruction of the first world, and then follow Thor, Tiger and one of the Western gods as they journey through the outer planes, fighting off demons seeking to take advantage of the chaos, and search for a way to bind the Snarl. It would end with the creation of the second world.

Could be called... Reality Check?
A Deity With Destiny?
Deus XP?

Maratanos
2007-09-16, 04:12 PM
There's no reason that both couldn't be done. Double the fun for us and double the work for Rich! Hmmmn... Maybe this should be reframed, Double the fun for us and potentially double the profits for Rich!

Seriously, is there any indication that Rich intends to do more Origin books?

Yes. He mentions two books in No Cure for the Paladin Blues, and only one of them is released (Start of Darkness). No clues about what the second is about though.

Spiky
2007-09-16, 08:37 PM
I think its quite simple nerd-logic, really. If the next "prequel" would be "Minus 2", then it really SHOULD occur before "Minus 1".

OR he could do book "2 and a half" and fill us in on the Linear Guild then. Or even a prequel numbered "Half".

I think a side-adventure book would be cool, involving Roy's sister or something.

Why? I think he is just numbering them in order of release. Like a sane person.

Dragon_Keeper
2007-09-16, 11:08 PM
I think a Order of the Scribble book would need to wait until the main comic is over. A book about them would reveal too much about the future story lines like what the area around the other two gates is like, what specific protections did they choose to guard them, even what size and shape the gates are. Remember how long we were looking at the AC gate without knowing it? It would also lock Rich into several details that really won't come up until the very end, and since he doesn't even like to draw comics ahead of time, I doubt he would want to be constrained like that. Besides, if he made it, we would already know the main story. We have no clue how the LG formed (and we didn't know how the OotStick or Team Evil had gotten together before their books).

phobiandarkmoon
2007-09-17, 03:33 AM
Why? I think he is just numbering them in order of release. Like a sane person.

Yes, but you miss the point - they are also in chronological order (yes yes yes, they overlap, but most of SoD is before otOoPCs), so in keeping with that spirit of numbering another origins book really should be before SoD. That makes the order of the scribble likely in that respect, I suppose, but we really don't have that much more of their story to get - we know about Durokan and Lirian from SoD, Soon from the main comic, all of their broad backstory from the main comic and will presumably get any extra information in the main comic when it becomes pertinent.

But equally the linear guild isn't really that interesting. For one thing, half the original members (which would be in that story, presumably) are missing or dead, thog is not really interesting from a background perspective, we know most of Nale's and Sabine is fairly self-explanatory with the exception of any extra objectives she may have.

So on balance order of the scribble is more likely, IMHO

NerfTW
2007-09-17, 11:43 AM
Except that the books aren't meant to be read in order anyways. While Origins could be read first without any problems, Start of Darkness spoils some major plot points covered in Paladin Blues. Rich even states in the prologue that it should be read Origin, Dungeon Crawling Fools, Paladin Blues, then Start of Darkness.

If you read Start of Darkness first, the big reveals of Miko and the gate's purpose are spoiled by a rather curt and shortened version of the Crayons of Time.

Spiky
2007-09-17, 10:45 PM
Yes, but you miss the point - they are also in chronological order (yes yes yes, they overlap, but most of SoD is before otOoPCs),

I think you are missing your own point. The above statement is a direct contradiction of itself. Adding a "yes, yes, yes" and a "but" doesn't change this simple fact that chronological is not a completely accurate answer.

Dr. Magic
2007-09-17, 11:01 PM
I'm still in favor of learning about these "Origons".

Actually, I think an entire LG "what theyve been up to" side-novella would be wicked, or a side-story about entirely new characters who don't factor into the series at all, except for some thing they accomplish that helps or hinders the OOTS group later on.

However, the full untold adventure of Lirian and Dorukan and the order of the scribble (either in scribble or in solid colors, as they were around in recent years) would be the most logical and compelling story. The OOTS before the OOTS - how they lived, died, came together, and how their fellowship broke. Sure, we know the basics, but the same could be said about Xykon and Redcloak before Start of Darkness - the prequel could add so much.

Here's hoping.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-09-17, 11:46 PM
I'm still in favor of learning about these "Origons".

Actually, I think an entire LG "what theyve been up to" side-novella would be wicked, or a side-story about entirely new characters who don't factor into the series at all, except for some thing they accomplish that helps or hinders the OOTS group later on.

However, the full untold adventure of Lirian and Dorukan and the order of the scribble (either in scribble or in solid colors, as they were around in recent years) would be the most logical and compelling story. The OOTS before the OOTS - how they lived, died, came together, and how their fellowship broke. Sure, we know the basics, but the same could be said about Xykon and Redcloak before Start of Darkness - the prequel could add so much.

Here's hoping.

I definitely think an "Order of the Scribble" book would work. After all, if it weren't for them, the Sapphire Guard, the Gates, and the Order of the Scribble wouldn't exist.

A Linear Guild book might work too. I don't know how Rich could pull it off, since there are only three "real" members of the LG, but I'm sure he could do it.

While we know most of the backstory of the Sapphire Guard, I think maybe a spin-off book could work. There are other members of the SG out there, and I'm almost sure they are going to be a plot point sometime. I'm almost positive that Hinjo, Lien, Captain Axe, Kazumi, and Daigo are going to look for them while the OOTS will go to the next gate.

Or maybe some backstory on Shojo, the nobles, and Azure City would make a nice book.

Ganurath
2007-09-17, 11:52 PM
I want Thog book.

Zare
2007-09-18, 12:22 AM
According to the wikipedia article on order of the stick, there is a book called "War and XPs" planned to come out, but I really, really doubt the accuracy of that, considering that there is no other information on the web about it. At all.

Dragon_Keeper
2007-09-18, 12:37 AM
According to the wikipedia article on order of the stick, there is a book called "War and XPs" planned to come out, but I really, really doubt the accuracy of that, considering that there is no other information on the web about it. At all.

War and XP is going to be the third compilation book, which will cover the war for AC (so it will go up to strip 484).

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-09-18, 01:03 AM
Now what I'd pay for would be a side-adventure comic that was also a 'Choose the outcome' style thing. It'd be cool to see the all get angry with you if you got everyone killed.

NerfTW
2007-09-18, 07:35 AM

Search these forums for it. It was revealed at GenCon, but it seems to have been an early announcement, considering the last strip in it was just finished three weeks ago.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-09-18, 08:34 AM
"The tale of that one dwarven paladin running away from the Rust Monster."

^.^
Because Rust Monsters are THAT funny.

SteveMB
2007-09-18, 08:51 AM
I think a Order of the Scribble book would need to wait until the main comic is over. A book about them would reveal too much about the future story lines like what the area around the other two gates is like, what specific protections did they choose to guard them, even what size and shape the gates are.

For similar reasons, a Linear Guild book, if Rich has any plans for one, would have to wait until any planned revelations involving Elan's father, such as (speculation)
whether he's the evil overlord holding Haley's father for ransomare addressed in the main comic.

ref
2007-09-18, 12:47 PM
That is the third strip compilation.

Slibs
2007-09-18, 03:39 PM
whether he's the evil overlord holding Haley's father for ransom

The Evil Overlord is Haley's Father. He's testing her abilities.

Hann
2007-09-18, 04:56 PM
"The tale of that one dwarven paladin running away from the Rust Monster."

^.^
Because Rust Monsters are THAT funny.

Oh, that's what that thing was.

My Money is on book negative 2: Lord of the Strings
It would be about the order of the scribble, it would have Thog do a preface, and it would chronicle their adventures, and their heroic defeat of Baron Pineapple and the Holey Brotherhood.

someonenonotyou
2007-09-18, 05:31 PM
The Evil Overlord is Haley's Father. He's testing her abilities. OR The Evil Overlord is haley's and elan's dad :yuk: that means there brother and sister that would be funny

Dr. Magic
2007-09-18, 09:04 PM
I think a Order of the Scribble book would need to wait until the main comic is over. A book about them would reveal too much about the future story lines like what the area around the other two gates is like, what specific protections did they choose to guard them, even what size and shape the gates are. Remember how long we were looking at the AC gate without knowing it? It would also lock Rich into several details that really won't come up until the very end, and since he doesn't even like to draw comics ahead of time, I doubt he would want to be constrained like that. Besides, if he made it, we would already know the main story. We have no clue how the LG formed (and we didn't know how the OotStick or Team Evil had gotten together before their books).

It's funny, I came to the opposite conclusion from the same evidence. The Linear Guild - all they have going for them, plotwise, is Nale's relations to Elan, and the demon-slut's infiltrations (and Thog's comedy). Doing a prequel about them risks revealing too much (which is why he said he was selective about Belkar's history - he didnt want him to become sympathetic - and selective about V and Elan's history - he didn't want some of the mysteries given away) - whereas, as long as he ends it at the right time, he could tell all sorts of adventures and tales about the Scribble, since half of them are dead and they're all old people anyway.

However, a Linear Guild story would work, too, I think he'd just have to fabricate more back-plot than was necessary for OtOoPCs and SoD.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-09-19, 05:28 PM
"Lord of the Mings."

Edea
2007-09-19, 06:00 PM
More specifically, "Lord of the Mings: The Two Flowers."

Alfryd
2007-09-20, 06:33 AM
Doing a prequel about them risks revealing too much (which is why he said he was selective about Belkar's history - he didnt want him to become sympathetic-
Wait a minute. Doesn't that imply there would be aspects of Belkar's backstory which make him sympathetic? That is. Wrong.
AAAAKHHH! Now it's in my head!

Solara
2007-09-20, 10:15 AM
I'd like to read a Miko book...though I don't know, surely she was a sympathetic character at some point in her life and it would be more sad than funny watching her go from that to a barely-restrained psycho with a stick up her ass.

But on the bright side, a Miko story would also include a lot of Shojo and Hinjo. :)