PDA

View Full Version : Unarmored Urban DEX Barbarian?

Wasp
2018-09-21, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone

I am interested in developing a DEX based Barbarian character that uses the Barbarian's Unarmored Defense feature instead of armor, but it's not supposed to be the classic topless barbarian a la Conan but a an urban (maybe even noble) reckless combatant using finesse weapons that wears normal clothing like a shirt, vest and tabard or even a robe or other "normal" clothing. The role would still be front-line fighter/tank, maybe even a bodyguard type protecting the characters that are more fragile. I am thinking a bit Porthos from the Three Musketeers (the version from pop culture).

Race I was thinking human, half-elf, elf etc, but I would be quite open to anything not too brutish.

It doesn't have to be a full barbarian, multi classing is possible. Starting Level would be 5. Variant Human not allowed but a free first level feat for everyone.

Has anyone ideas what way to go with this?

GreyBlack
2018-09-21, 05:09 PM
Problem.

Barbarian rage damage bonus only procs off of strength based attacks. How would you counterbalance that?

GlenSmash!
2018-09-21, 05:24 PM
Worse Problem is Advantage Reckless Attack only works with Strength based attacks too.

Still if you accept the drawbacks it's still possible. If you want any value out of Rage damage and reckless attack you can leave Strength at 14 and just use it with reckless attack with strength when you really feel the need. Otherwise dump it.

Are you using Point Buy, Standard Array, or Rolling for stats? Are you planning on going Rapier and Shield or Duel wielding?

Anyway you'll want to start out with high Dex and Con. Starting Half-Elf you could get 8, 16, 16, 10, 14, 10 which is pretty dang decent. Plus you would be immune to magical Sleep which is a know Rage ender.

For primal Path's Ancestral Guardian is the best protecter of the bunch, but Totem Warrior has the most Mix and Match options. Zealot gets extra damage which could be useful since you'll be missing the bonus damage from Rage.

For first Level Feats, Lucky, Mobile and Tough are universally useful, but Dual Wielder or Defensive Duelist might be what you are leaning towards.

As you level pump Dex first then Con, which means you wont have many feats, so choose that first one wisely.

KOLE
2018-09-21, 06:44 PM
Is this free feat in addition to the ASI you'd get at level 4 since you're starting at 5?

Okay, I don't like to talk people out of builds, but my first campaign I tried a Dex Barb when I was still a newbie to optimizing- not saying you are, but I was. And I regretted the choice almost immediately.

First of all, Rage and Reckless attack are specifically strength only. You can still rage for resistance and attack with Dex to maintain it- but why would you? You're neglecting the two biggest features of the class and you will fall behind very quickly. Again, this is from personal experience. I was able to salvage my build by burning an ASI on strength and becoming a strength based Barbarogue, but I'm still behind compared to our party's Paladin and Fighter.

Based on what you're looking for- I'd strongly recommend str Barbarogue. At level 5 going half-elf, you could have: 18/14/16/8/10/10. That's respectable. Your naked AC is 15, although you could bolster it to 17 with a shield. Start level 5 barb for extra attack, then stick to Rogue for Sneak Attack dice. If you're using a rapier with strength you're still putting sneak attack on your damage, which is free using reckless attack.

I like Bear totem for all that resistance- but it's a little redundant. Outside of standard B/S/P the only commonly encountered damage is from spells, a lot of which require dex saves which you are very good at, so your barbarian path is season for flavor. Same with your free feat, though I like shield master with athletics expertise from rogue 1.

If that's not your speed- I would so go for Monk instead. They also fight in plain clothes and use dex- that sounds more like what you want.

Ganymede
2018-09-21, 08:55 PM

Focus on determining where your barbarian's rage comes from. Once you answer that question, developing your character will be easier.

bid
2018-09-21, 10:51 PM
Barbarian's Unarmored Defense feature instead of armor
Barbarian unarmored defense is underwhelming because you need to boost Str first.

At the low levels Dex14 / Con16 is just as good as a chain shirt, but getting 750g for a half plate is much faster than spending 2 ASI to reach Dex14 / Con20. Which means staying at Str16 to boost your AC.

If you are playing an urban RP campaign and will ignore armor for "aesthetic" reasons, it's good enough to differenciate you from others. For serious battles, your AC will suffer though.

I think it will also work fine as a barbarogue, where most of your damage comes from sneak attack and rage is just used as damage resistance. Stout halfling barbarian are often Dex-based because they cannot effectively use heavy weapons.

You can also pick swashbuckler to remove the need to reckless attack. Or go monk if you can refluff to your satisfaction.

Sentinel is prolly the best starting feat for a bodyguard.
I'd propose barb 1 / swash 4, 13 18 14 10 10 14 half-elf with sentinel and a Dex ASI. Put expertise in athletics for grappling if it fits.

MeeposFire
2018-09-22, 01:38 AM
Even when multiclassing as rogue I still would use str as my attack stat.

Xetheral
2018-09-22, 02:00 AM
I played an urban, unarmored Barbarian 2/Rogue 1, and it was a blast. The character was a human with the Tavern Brawler feat, and expertise in Athletics and Deception. She wore a dress and her only weapon was a sharpened screwdriver (improvised dagger).

When combat broke out she'd pretend to be a non-combatant, screaming and crying and "clearly" trying to escape the conflict, but always in the direction of the enemy back line.... (sometimes opponents were so fooled by her act that they would move to protect her from the other PCs). Once past the enemy melee fighters she'd find the leader or a spellcaster, draw her screwdriver, and either take a hostage or else go into a grappling, stabbing rage.

Neither her AC nor her damage output were particularly high, but she was extremely effective at ending fights outright or, failing that, at least locking down important enemies. The biggest downside was Tavern Brawler and entering Rage both requiring a bonus action, but it didn't get in her way all that much.

At higher levels, this character would benefit from the Menacing and/or Mage Slayer feats, ultimately aiming for Barbarian 5/Rogue X. Wolf Barbarian is probably best, but Bear works too. If the DM is liberal with social surprise via deception, Assassin can work pretty well. Otherwise, Thief and Swashbkucker work well too.

Arkhios
2018-09-22, 02:18 AM
Hello everyone

I am interested in developing a DEX based Barbarian character that uses the Barbarian's Unarmored Defense feature instead of armor, but it's not supposed to be the classic topless barbarian a la Conan but a an urban (maybe even noble) reckless combatant using finesse weapons that wears normal clothing like a shirt, vest and tabard or even a robe or other "normal" clothing. The role would still be front-line fighter/tank, maybe even a bodyguard type protecting the characters that are more fragile. I am thinking a bit Porthos from the Three Musketeers (the version from pop culture).

Race I was thinking human, half-elf, elf etc, but I would be quite open to anything not too brutish.

It doesn't have to be a full barbarian, multi classing is possible. Starting Level would be 5. Variant Human not allowed but a free first level feat for everyone.

Honestly, I would ditch the whole barbarian part (not only because the major barbarian features work only if you attack using Strength), and consider taking another route to "recklessness": Swashbuckler.

Swashbuckler would make a perfect Musketeer type character.

Swashbuckler rogue fits the "reckless" front-line fighter/tank role perfectly, as they can get sneak attack even without the aid of another player or advantage. Sneak Attack would work well as your substitute for "rage" damage, and more, I'd say. I get it, you want to appear unarmored. But here's something to consider. Light armors are easy to be covered with clothes.

And if you take Dual Wielder feat (which I would recommend, tbh) you would get AC of 13+Dex with two weapons and a studded leather. Same as if you had Con 16. That's quite a bit.
If you want more Hit points, take the Tough feat, and you'll rival a barbarian with your hit points.

What I'm trying to say, is that barbarian doesn't have the sole right to be reckless or fierce. Not even because they have a feature called reckless attack.

You can depict any character and class as barbaric as you like. Being a barbarian is more than just a class. It's a way of life.