PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer (Gunmage)

Garfunion
2018-09-21, 06:24 PM
How can I move the level 7 Magic Arrow feature to level 3?
I’m attempting to re-fluff the archetype to a Gunmage, and I would like to have magic arrows(bullets) sooner.
I was planning on adding a Magelock weapon bond ritual at 3rd level to create a negative feature. You would need your Magelock to use Arcane Arrows(bullets) and the Magic Arrow(bullet) feature. Would this work or would it still be to powerful?

Eradis
2018-09-21, 08:02 PM
I have truly no idea how the Arcane Archer works in general. Honestly I'd take it with your Game Master directly. If I was him, I'd check it out with you and possibly allow you to try it with an asterix*, meaning that if we find out it is indeed too powerful and unbalance the party too much I would then seek another option.

Garfunion
2018-09-21, 08:09 PM
I have truly no idea how the Arcane Archer works in general. Honestly I'd take it with your Game Master directly. If I was him, I'd check it out with you and possibly allow you to try it with an asterix*, meaning that if we find out it is indeed too powerful and unbalance the party too much I would then seek another option.
I am the DM. I’m just bouncing the idea off the community here.

Vogie
2018-09-21, 08:34 PM
All you want is the ability to bypass magic resistance at level 3? I don't think that's worth rocking the boat over...

I mean, it isn't unheard of:

Forge Clerics get that ability at 1 with their passive
druids can use shillelagh for a similar effect
Warlocks' blade pact gives the ability at 3
Monks and Moon Druids get it at 6

So getting it at 7 is a little late, in the grand scheme of things. Is there a campaign reason that you'd need that ability earlier than 7? Such as, no such thing as magic magelock weapons until really high levels?

ImproperJustice
2018-09-21, 09:48 PM
It won’t break your game at all.
Most groups I play in, over 50% of the party has a +1 weapon by level 3.
The other half has cantrips......

Gunmage sounds cool.
I give you props if you name him Gene Starwind.
Just don’t use shell number 4 more than twice and you should be fine.

Garfunion
2018-09-22, 11:38 AM
It won’t break your game at all.
Most groups I play in, over 50% of the party has a +1 weapon by level 3.
The other half has cantrips......

Gunmage sounds cool.
I give you props if you name him Gene Starwind.
Just don’t use shell number 4 more than twice and you should be fine.
I would have to rename the Magelock to Caster and Acane Bullet to Caster Shell. 😁

However in my world magic is “dying”.

LudicSavant
2018-09-22, 11:49 AM
How can I move the level 7 Magic Arrow feature to level 3?
I’m attempting to re-fluff the archetype to a Gunmage, and I would like to have magic arrows(bullets) sooner.
I was planning on adding a Magelock weapon bond ritual at 3rd level to create a negative feature. You would need your Magelock to use Arcane Arrows(bullets) and the Magic Arrow(bullet) feature. Would this work or would it still be to powerful?

Not only would it not make the Arcane Archer overpowered, it wouldn't even make them above average. Go for it.