PDA

View Full Version : your oppinion please :)

tun-geek-42
2007-09-16, 05:28 AM
:smallfurious: (go belkar)

hello fellow geeks :smallsmile: me and my friends has played D&D for 2 and a half years, and we have just found out that we have misunderstood the magic weapon part in the DMG, we thought that a magic weapon +1 with a shocking enchantment would be the total price of 2 +1 bonuses (totsl of 4000 gp) but we the found out that it had the price of a +2 sword (8000 gp) this puts us in a dilema, we are usally mot very high leveled charecters, we are lvl 8-9 at the moment, and that is the higest we have done. but we are creating a 10th leveled paladin scenario and then it is no longer an option for me to have a +2 holy longsword, but i think, isn't it a ltle under powered to pay that much for a magic weapon? i mean, when you see a wizard casting lightning bolt to the right and the left, arent the meele fighters underpowered if a 10 th level charecter can't have a +2 sword with an +2 encarntmen?

what are you opinions, so far our old rules worked out fine, but we are thinking of using the "core rules"

Zincorium
2007-09-16, 05:49 AM
Well, always go with what works, but I do recommend trying it the way it's intended, just to see which way you like best.

There are some advantages to the way you were going about it, it distinctly encourages the use of many small enchantments (which have small game effects) while comparatively discouraging (although not the point the normal system does) the large, potentially game breaking ones like vorpal and brilliant energy.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-16, 07:24 AM
Lightning bolts? Read the Logic Ninja's Guide. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500

Rad
2007-09-16, 07:37 AM
your version of the rules allows to pile bonuses on weapons, so it favors melee characters over casters; since casters (usually) overshadow them that would not be too bad if this is what happens in your games.
Note that, at high levels, 2000gp is a low, low price, meaning that your sword will have almost everything... this can be good or bad, according to what you like.

JackMage666
2007-09-16, 11:20 AM
But, overly annoying as well. I mean, you could either have a +5 Longsword, or a...
+1 Shock Flaming Corrosive Keen Maiming Frost Merciful Vicious Spell-Storing Defending Ghost Touch Ki Focus Mighty Cleaving Throwing Thundering Human-bane Elf-bane Dwarf-bane Orc-bane Longsword.

Each is 50365 (I think, give or take 5 gp)

Personally, I'd MUCH rather have the +1 Shock ect. sword. I'd probably want it more than a +5 Vorpal Longsword, too. While not totally game breaking, it makes the enchantments SO much cheaper, and it's a bit off.

Plus, remember that Wizards can buy weapons too, so they get the same spoils of this as the Fighter. Better yet, they can now get...
+1 Twighlight Mithral Light Forticifaction for a mere 4,100 gp. Normally it's be 10,100.

In other words, yes, it reduces cost, and makes magic items SO much more accessable. But it also makes the game favor humanoids (or others who buy/wear equipment) alot more than monsters.

EDIT: Also, one more item I'd like to create...
+1 Monstrous Humanoid-bane Undead-bane Evil Outsider-bane Dragon-bane Aberration-bane Magical Beast-bane Mage-bane Giant-bane Longsword

Why? Because it costs the same as a +3 Longsword, but is treated as a +3 Longsword against most enemies. As a bonus, it does an extra 2d6 damage against any of those types, as well.

Riffington
2007-09-16, 11:24 AM
A compromise would be to do it your way but double the cost of each successive enchantment. (i.e 1st enchantment normal price. 2nd double. 3rd quadruple, etc). That way your +2 shocking sword would be a bit cheaper, but you can't get too excessive.