PDA

View Full Version : But what about the Starmetal?

Aidan
2018-09-21, 09:02 PM
As of the latest strip, we have learned one major thing about the Oots-Verse. Color has meaning larger than we had thought. We also learn that the lost color is Green, destroyed by the Snarl.

I say this as a complete throw at the dartboard.
What if the Starmetal inside of Roy's sword is a piece of rubble from a previous world, destroyed by the Snarl, and it holds the key to defeating it?

Rrmcklin
2018-09-21, 09:04 PM
We learned that colors in a certain context have meaning. That the Eastern Gods aura was green (and a different green from the kind that Roy's sword has produced to boot), doesn't mean anything (at this point).

Gift Jeraff
2018-09-21, 10:10 PM
Could also be linked to the scrying eye. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html)

Quild
2018-09-22, 01:55 AM
Could also be linked to the scrying eye. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html)

Good catch. We still don't know what that eye was!

WindStruck
2018-09-22, 01:58 AM
That's a great idea! It could be that all these colors could have a significant impact.

JustIgnoreMe
2018-09-22, 03:25 AM
I was expecting white text after that, and did not find it. Now I’m wondering... not sure if serious.

Bad Wolf
2018-09-22, 03:39 AM
Could also be linked to Belker. He wears green a lot.

Or maybe Julia.

Or maybe that Chlorine Elemental Redcloak summoned.

Or maybe it's the bush and trees in 281.

Quild
2018-09-22, 05:58 AM
I was expecting white text after that, and did not find it. Now I’m wondering... not sure if serious.

You'll never know! :smalltongue:

hroşila
2018-09-22, 06:01 AM
Vaarsuvius will totes join the Dark One's pantheon. Sure, their magic aura is pink rather than violet, but look at their hair.

Werbaer
2018-09-22, 06:22 AM
Redcloaks niece.

Ashiver
2018-09-22, 11:41 AM
As of the latest strip, we have learned one major thing about the Oots-Verse. Color has meaning larger than we had thought. We also learn that the lost color is Green, destroyed by the Snarl.

I say this as a complete throw at the dartboard.
What if the Starmetal inside of Roy's sword is a piece of rubble from a previous world, destroyed by the Snarl, and it holds the key to defeating it?

I really think there's something to this. Becoming a risen deity is iconic for DnD and whether or not it goes all the way to that I think there is a lot of potential with his sword at the least.
He is Roy Greenhilt, his eyes glow green, he has a green aura, he has bonded with his sword which is the metal. He fought an epic battle in a Roman style colosseum. I could see him becoming the new founding member of the Eastern pantheon. Maybe then help destroy the Snarl or create a 4 or even 5 color (if they actually get help from the Dark One) prison world if this world bites it. If anything, I feel like him having a role to play even if it's just his sword that winds up important seems more likely to me than the Dark One actually working out all on his lonesome.

Peelee
2018-09-22, 11:56 AM
I think everyone is forgetting how Durkon casts magic with a white dweomer. Or V with a pink one, Xykon with black, etc. etc. Why, with such a smorgasbord of colors, these characters could topple the gods themselves!

Synesthesy
2018-09-22, 12:02 PM
No no no no. The truth is that Eastern Pantheon has never died. They are alive, and they are going to be the last enemy. Or you have forget that the worst enemy on earth, tha trees, are green?

HandofShadows
2018-09-22, 12:08 PM
What was Snarl's color again? Purple? :smallbiggrin:

There is also something that even Thor does not seem aware of. There is another world on the other side of the Gates and strangely Snarl hasn't been seen recently. :smallconfused:

woweedd
2018-09-22, 12:11 PM
I think everyone is forgetting how Durkon casts magic with a white dweomer. Or V with a pink one, Xykon with black, etc. etc. Why, with such a smorgasbord of colors, these characters could topple the gods themselves!
You joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason magic is color-coded in this universe is because it's just another manifestation of the quiddity. Of course, since Wizards and Clerics can only harness one color at a time, they wouldn't able to create much, especially since their auras are, presumably, far weaker than the Gods to begin with, excepting Epic-level Casters, and even most of them.

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-22, 12:13 PM
No no no no. The truth is that Eastern Pantheon has never died. They are alive, and they are going to be the last enemy. Or you have forget that the worst enemy on earth, tha trees, are green? fair point. :smallcool: (Except that Thor debunked that a few strips ago, after Minrah and Durkon were alarmed by the trees attacking Valhalla).

What was Snarl's color again? Purple? There is also something that even Thor does not seem aware of. There is another world on the other side of the Gates and strangely Snarl hasn't been seen recently.
What the Raven Saw might be the name of book 7.

Peelee
2018-09-22, 12:54 PM
You joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason magic is color-coded in this universe is because it's just another manifestation of the quiddity.
I would be.

Every spellcaster has their own color; it is not based on their alignment or type of magic or anything. It is mostly a matter of choice or personality, though most clerics tend to clump into the same general color if they worship the same gods because they tend to choose the same colors and/or have similar personalities.

Elan has a similar color to the Azurite priests because it's not as if everyone in the North sits around going, "Gosh, we can't pick blue, because those people on another continent all picked blue!" Tsukiko uses the same color for her divine magic as the Azurite priests because they both worship the Twelve Gods, who are worshipped as a pantheon by all alignments in Azure City.

And as far as the girl in #730, I promise that whether she is using mind energy or fire does not affect the story in the slightest, and therefore it doesn't matter whether or not you can tell what it is.

woweedd
2018-09-22, 01:14 PM
I would be.
I doubt The Giant could have mentioned that at the time.

Peelee
2018-09-22, 01:16 PM
I doubt The Giant could have mentioned that at the time.

Conversely, I doubt the Giant would have directly addressed it and said "it's just based on their personality and has no other bearing" if it was a plot point.

Rrmcklin
2018-09-22, 01:25 PM
Conversely, I doubt the Giant would have directly addressed it and said "it's just based on their personality and has no other bearing" if it was a plot point.

Agreed. It makes more sense to not address it, than to come up with a lie (even just a lie of omission).

MartianInvader
2018-09-22, 02:13 PM
One point in favor of this theory is that it does seem like the "worlds" the gods create are individual planets. But Starmetal falls from the sky, which raises the question:. Where does it come from? "Fragments of a previous world" is as good an explanation as any.

There is also something that even Thor does not seem aware of. There is another world on the other side of the Gates and strangely Snarl hasn't been seen recently. :smallconfused:
Didn't we see the Snarl like a week ago (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html)?

hroşila
2018-09-22, 02:59 PM
One point in favor of this theory is that it does seem like the "worlds" the gods create are individual planets. But Starmetal falls from the sky, which raises the question:. Where does it come from? "Fragments of a previous world" is as good an explanation as any.
The Snarl prison might be simply the one planet*, but the prime material plane has at least several planets and plenty of stars, as shown in the last panel of HTPGHS.

*Personally, I'm inclined to believe that the whole prime material plane universe is the Snarl prison, not just the inhabited planet, and that this is simply a case of metonymy.

Throknor
2018-09-22, 04:33 PM
You joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason magic is color-coded in this universe is because it's just another manifestation of the quiddity. Of course, since Wizards and Clerics can only harness one color at a time, they wouldn't able to create much, especially since their auras are, presumably, far weaker than the Gods to begin with, excepting Epic-level Casters, and even most of them.

Related: Were the Gates created by Dorukan's arcane magic alone, or did Lirian's druidic magic contribute? Shojo says they were built to buttress the fabric of reality (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html). Other than the fact they could be destroyed, they worked. Did the duo learn how to manipulate the snarl itself? Will their being in a soulstone at the last gate come into play?

So many possible threads*…

(* Literary, not intentionally snarl-or-pun related.)

hroşila
2018-09-22, 04:47 PM
Related: Were the Gates created by Dorukan's arcane magic alone, or did Lirian's druidic magic contribute? Shojo says they were built to buttress the fabric of reality (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html). Other than the fact they could be destroyed, they worked. Did the duo learn how to manipulate the snarl itself? Will their being in a soulstone at the last gate come into play?

So many possible threads*…

(* Literary, not intentionally snarl-or-pun related.)
#276 says that Lirian and Dorukan researched how to lock the sealed rifts and that the two of them spent lots of money building the fives gates. In #887 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0887.html), Vaarsuvius and Durkon work together to rebuild one of the gates (Dorukan's, I think?). Of course, it's an illusion, but the Order probably got the relevant info from Shojo and thus chances are they were accurately picturing what they'd need to do. With this in mind, I think we can assume that both arcane and divine magic was involved from the start, and I would guess that's also the reason why the Dark One's ritual needs both arcane and divine magic.

Aidan
2018-09-22, 06:37 PM
Could also be linked to Belker. He wears green a lot.

Or maybe Julia.

Or maybe that Chlorine Elemental Redcloak summoned.

Or maybe it's the bush and trees in 281.

I guess my point is more that, when a main character fairly recently unlocked the secret power of his weapon, and we learn that the ancient gods who lended their power to the Snarl, but were destroyed by it, both have a magical green aura, it's hard to think that this is a coincidence.

That being said it entirely could be a coincidence, but what's the fun in that?

Goblin_Priest
2018-09-22, 06:52 PM

I think Rich confirmed it was Zzdiri.

Aveline
2018-09-22, 07:19 PM
I guess my point is more that, when a main character fairly recently unlocked the secret power of his weapon, and we learn that the ancient gods who lended their power to the Snarl, but were destroyed by it, both have a magical green aura, it's hard to think that this is a coincidence.

That being said it entirely could be a coincidence, but what's the fun in that?

The more salient thing to me about the starmetal sword is not the specific color of its aura, but the origin of the metal. I wouldn't be surprised if starmetal turned out to come from the outer planes somehow.

But also I think the aura is probably arcane in nature, based on #1025 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html).

EDIT: That's just a thought. I should mention that I know next to nothing about D&D's magic system, besides its portrayal in OOTS (which counts less as "knowledge" and more as "anecdotes" as far as my understandingness goes).

Rynael
2018-09-22, 10:42 PM

Eh, don't be too harsh on Gift Jeraff, there's no way he could've known.

Peelee
2018-09-22, 11:35 PM
You know that old saying, never look a Gift Jeraff in the glowing floating eye in the desert.

BeerMug Paladin
2018-09-23, 12:28 AM
When activated, Haley's Boots of Speed emits green energy, so its greenness isn't dye-related... Knowing this, it seems pretty clear to me that Belkar will at some point steal Haley's boots, then use those boots to kick at the Snarl to seal it inside its prison forever along with himself.

Elan will write an epic ode to Belkar in memory and he will forever be immortalized as the sexy shoed god of war, thus fulfilling Belkar's ongoing long-term character arc.

Sorator
2018-09-23, 01:17 AM

Yeah, it was.

Yes, the scrying beacon was Zz'dtri, checking up on Elan at Nale's request. It was primarily a bit of foreshadowing that Zz'dtri was coming back, since at that point no one expected him to ever show up again. You'll note that Nale confirms that he's been keeping tabs on Elan right after Z reveals himself (both to V and the reader).

The Pilgrim
2018-09-23, 04:29 AM
So, nobody has yet commented that The Greenhilt Sword's magical aura is green maybe because... because it is the Greenhilt Sword. And the green hilt has been there since long before starmetal was added to it's blade.

I bet the magical aura of Rey Redblade's legacy weapon is red.

Sorator
2018-09-23, 04:51 AM
So, nobody has yet commented that The Greenhilt Sword's magical aura is green maybe because... because it is the Greenhilt Sword. And the green hilt has been there since long before starmetal was added to it's blade.

Sure, but there's the possibility that there's a significant reason the hilt is green and not some other color. Or rather, since Rich chose Roy's hilt color long before he even had a plot in mind, a significant reason that Rich later chose the destroyed Eastern pantheon to have the same colored quiddity as the protagonist's family-naming sword, even if it may be different shades of said color.

I think it's a stretch, personally, but I can see where folks are coming from.

HandofShadows
2018-09-23, 06:24 AM
Didn't we see the Snarl like a week ago (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html)?

I utterly forgot about that. So Snarl is still around. :smalleek:

martianmister
2018-09-23, 10:36 AM
It would explain how it came from the sky: it's the last survived part of the original world.

Please change your signature. You don't deserve it.

Nope. It comes from the Starmetal:

It is likely that your sword will sometimes glow with a deadly green energy that is particularly harmful to the undead.

Ruck
2018-09-23, 03:19 PM
The Snarl prison might be simply the one planet*, but the prime material plane has at least several planets and plenty of stars, as shown in the last panel of HTPGHS.

*Personally, I'm inclined to believe that the whole prime material plane universe is the Snarl prison, not just the inhabited planet, and that this is simply a case of metonymy.

I tend to think this is the case as well.

Mordaedil
2018-09-26, 03:40 AM
It's probably just green because it is Roy Greenhilt and their family is all about green energy.

But that is kinda boring. I want to explore an old D&D trope where dead deities float around on the Astral plane, inert and basically giant rocks. Maybe the Starmetal is a piece of their body that has somehow ended up on the material plane and now Roy has had it forged into a blade and it glows green because it is part of one of the deities of the eastern pantheon.

Next question then is, who in the eastern pantheon is it from? Likely someone who really doesn't like undead given the properties of the starmetal?

This is just my speculation and it's probably wrong in the scheme of things. And it might never even be confirmed. But hey, maybe posting the idea can inspire some more thoughts on the subject.

woweedd
2018-09-26, 04:50 AM
It's probably just green because it is Roy Greenhilt and their family is all about green energy.

But that is kinda boring. I want to explore an old D&D trope where dead deities float around on the Astral plane, inert and basically giant rocks. Maybe the Starmetal is a piece of their body that has somehow ended up on the material plane and now Roy has had it forged into a blade and it glows green because it is part of one of the deities of the eastern pantheon.

Next question then is, who in the eastern pantheon is it from? Likely someone who really doesn't like undead given the properties of the starmetal?

This is just my speculation and it's probably wrong in the scheme of things. And it might never even be confirmed. But hey, maybe posting the idea can inspire some more thoughts on the subject.
Um...Wasn't their essence eaten by The Snarl? If the things destroys your soul, I don't imagine a corpse was left behind, especially given that it eats divine energy, and Gods are nothing but.

Mordaedil
2018-09-26, 06:31 AM
Um...Wasn't their essence eaten by The Snarl? If the things destroys your soul, I don't imagine a corpse was left behind, especially given that it eats divine energy, and Gods are nothing but.

Well, we saw it cut them apart and tear the world apart, but I don't recall it actually eating anything. Heck, we only speculate it has a face and will.

hroşila
2018-09-26, 07:00 AM
We did see the corpses of the Eastern gods, but that was crayons, so perhaps it was how the Azurites pictured it and not accurate in the details. It did match what we saw happen to Mijung and other mortals, though. However, in the case of the mortals the Snarl didn't have continued access to the corpses, so it's perfectly possible that it "devoured" whatever matter the gods' corpses are made of, on top of extinguishing their souls and their quiddity.

I don't think it literally devours anything, though. I imagine its eyes and mouth are merely a pictorial representation and not actual physical features, although that's not a given.

xroads
2018-09-27, 04:19 PM
I think there is a strong possibility that the star metal in Roy's :roy: sword is linked to the green gods of Zeus's pantheon.

But then again, I wouldn't put it past Rich to have thrown us a red herring either. :smallbiggrin:

Rrmcklin
2018-09-27, 05:11 PM
I think there is a strong possibility that the star metal in Roy's :roy: sword is linked to the green gods of Zeus's pantheon.

But then again, I wouldn't put it past Rich to have thrown us a red herring either. :smallbiggrin:

You're using red herring wrong. I'm going to repeat what I said on the first page and say that calling a similar (and not even identical) green coloration a "strong possibility" is looking for things that aren't there.

Aidan
2018-09-27, 10:14 PM
You're using red herring wrong. I'm going to repeat what I said on the first page and say that calling a similar (and not even identical) green coloration a "strong possibility" is looking for things that aren't there.

I agree that calling it a strong possibility is a bit to much, but I think we can agree that Rich does seem to have many important plot details interwoven. I personally don't see it as an unreasonable stretch of the imagination that the Greenhilt family sword is related to the Eastern Gods and their Green auras.

You are probably correct in this just being a coincidence, something he didn't notice while writing, but as I said earlier, where's the fun in thinking that?

Rrmcklin
2018-09-27, 11:03 PM
I mean, does Elan's magic being blue means he's somehow connected to the Southern Gods? Or Redcloak's being red mean he's connected to the Western Gods?

If Roy's sword had some divine qualities I'm pretty sure that would have been noted by now. Frankly, I don't think bringing something up like that now would even be particularly clever or good writing.

Peelee
2018-09-27, 11:27 PM
I agree that calling it a strong possibility is a bit to much, but I think we can agree that Rich does seem to have many important plot details interwoven. I personally don't see it as an unreasonable stretch of the imagination that the Greenhilt family sword is related to the Eastern Gods and their Green auras.

Also, when he was at Bash U. he was new to his class. Or, one could say, Green. It's all coming together!

dtilque
2018-09-28, 12:40 AM

So they had a windmill and solar panels? Drove an EV?

xroads
2018-09-28, 01:29 PM

No, I'm using in the term correctly. According to the Mirriam-Webster Dictionary, red herring is:

something that distracts attention from the real issue

If it does have nothing to do with the East gods at all (which is entirely possible), then it is being a red herring. Regardless of whether or not Rich intended it to.

It's also a herring cured by salt. In which case, you are correct, it is not a red herring. :smallbiggrin:

Jasdoif
2018-09-28, 02:06 PM

No, I'm using in the term correctly. According to the Mirriam-Webster Dictionary, red herring is:

something that distracts attention from the real issue
If it does have nothing to do with the East gods at all (which is entirely possible), then it is being a red herring. Regardless of whether or not Rich intended it to.Interestingly, this looks like a difference between British and American usage. Of the dictionaries I've found that make a distinction between American English and British English (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/red-herring); the American definitions say a red herring is used to divert attention, and the British definitions only say that a red herring diverts attention.

Kish
2018-09-28, 02:09 PM
In this instance, I don't think the British definition is useful on this forum. People routinely grab on to all sorts of random details and insist the plot will turn on them.

Rrmcklin
2018-09-28, 02:09 PM

If it does have nothing to do with the East gods at all (which is entirely possible), then it is being a red herring. Regardless of whether or not Rich intended it to.

It's also a herring cured by salt. In which case, you are correct, it is not a red herring. :smallbiggrin:

That only applies if the work is intentionally trying to make you think one thing is the case, while the truth is actually something else.

That is not the case here, we've been given no actual indication in the story (thus far) to assume that Roy's green, and the Eastern Pantheon's green have any connection. Again, anymore that we are to believed that Elan has some
connection to the Southern Gods, or Redcloak has one to the Western Gods.

Using it the way you are, all stories would be filled with red herrings anytime a fan made a guess about something and then turned out to be wrong, rendering the term basically meaningless.

Rrmcklin
2018-09-28, 02:12 PM
Interestingly, this looks like a difference between British and American usage. Of the dictionaries I've found that make a distinction between American English and British English (https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/red-herring); the American definitions say a red herring is used to divert attention, and the British definitions only say that a red herring diverts attention.

Huh, I did not know that. I can't imagine how the British definition would ever actually be useful, and the Giant is American, so, yeah.

Also, sorry for the double post.

Sorator
2018-09-28, 02:20 PM
Huh, I did not know that. I can't imagine how the British definition would ever actually be useful, and the Giant is American, so, yeah.

Also, sorry for the double post.

You can always edit your prior post to include what you wanted to add, instead of double posting. ;)

RatElemental
2018-09-28, 06:14 PM

That would make fixing the rifts difficult if the entirety of space nad the other planets are part of the prison. Who knows how many rifts are out there unclosed?

Kish
2018-09-28, 07:09 PM
Are there multiple planets in the OotS universe? They, and real-world space topology, shouldn't be assumed, for a D&D world.

Aidan
2018-09-28, 07:35 PM
Are there multiple planets in the OotS universe? They, and real-world space topology, shouldn't be assumed, for a D&D world.

In HTPGHS, we are shown at least 4 planet like shapes, one local star, as well as many far away stars.

martianmister
2018-09-28, 07:44 PM
That is not the case here, we've been given no actual indication in the story (thus far) to assume that Roy's green, and the Eastern Pantheon's green have any connection. Again, anymore that we are to believed that Elan has some
connection to the Southern Gods, or Redcloak has one to the Western Gods.

Difference is, starmetal is a mysterious material with mysterious powers and unknown source, and it's currently focused on the comic as a plot important object.

Rrmcklin
2018-09-28, 07:50 PM
Difference is, starmetal is a mysterious material with mysterious powers and unknown source, and it's currently focused on the comic as a plot important object.

Power that, going by this theory, is divine in nature, and yet no one has ever commented on it being such.

And I'd debate how much current focus it's actually getting now, or has gotten. Roy's sword has gotten focus currently, but that's because of "weapon of legacy" or whatever powers, not the starmetal.

martianmister
2018-09-28, 07:54 PM
Green energy itself is related to properties of starmetal, according to the woman who made the sword.

Aidan
2018-09-28, 07:55 PM
Power that, going by this theory, is divine in nature, and yet no one has ever commented on it being such.

And I'd debate how much current focus it's actually getting now, or has gotten. Roy's sword has gotten focus currently, but that's because of "weapon of legacy" or whatever powers, not the starmetal.

To my knowledge, there has not been any comment on the nature of magic associated with the Greenhilt sword. So thinking it may be divine in nature is not an unreasonable thought.

Rrmcklin
2018-09-28, 08:02 PM
To my knowledge, there has not been any comment on the nature of magic associated with the Greenhilt sword. So thinking it may be divine in nature is not an unreasonable thought.

That it hasn't been mentioned is exactly what would make it unreasonable. Bringing something up like that now, when it's never mattered before, conveniently after we learn about the quiddities is not good writing, IMO.

You may disagree, but I don't find it particularly likely, and my general impression of writing turns like that would not leave me to consider it a reasonable or interesting reveal.

Aidan
2018-09-28, 08:24 PM
Out of curiosity, I was looking at the pages where the Weapon of Legacy stuff is mentioned. Wrecan specifically says in 1025 that it is a "very powerful magic item that can arise naturally when a warrior has poured his heart and soul into a single cause," that combined with Eugene referring to it as "wishy-washy emotional magic" in 1046. Now that does not prove anything, but it does seem suspect that Rich has seen it necessary to make this distinction from it just being arcane magic. The power from this weapon comes from souls, which is the same power source as the gods.

At the very least, not expanding on the powers of the Greenhilt sword is the less likely option.

TRH
2018-09-28, 09:10 PM
It's circumstantial evidence at best, but I don't think we should ignore the timing here. Roy's sword was reforged at the tail end of Paladin Blues, and then it spent the next 3 books not changing, nor hinting at being anything more than what we were told it was. Suddenly in this book, Roy unlocks a whole new world of magical potential in the weapon, and we learn this new tidbit about quiddities and their significance.

Coincidence? Not unlikely, but still, an uncanny one, to say the least.

Ruck
2018-09-28, 09:35 PM

In HTPGHS, we are shown at least 4 planet like shapes, one local star, as well as many far away stars.

I don't really think about it as much, but my quick headcanon reconciliation of this is that OOTS-planet is the only world in the OOTS universe with life in it, and thus the only one where the gods have any conflicts, thus the only one where rifts in the Snarl's prison might appear.