PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on a Blood hunter build

2StorM2
2018-09-21, 11:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Playing a blood hunter in a 5e campaign starting at level 3
Stat rolls are 16,13,13,12,11,10
The plan was to do a 2 handed weapon and go into PaM and Sentinel but walking around with an AC of 14 seems like a bad idea, the DM said I may find a finesse 2h eventually but I don't think I would be useful until then.
I was also told TWF is a meme.
I plan to do Order of the Profane Soul for my characters back story.
Anyone have a fun useful setup?

Expected
2018-09-21, 11:51 PM
I haven't read about the Blood Hunter (I do know it is a home-brewed class), but why would you have 14 AC if you meet the Str requirement to don heavy armor like chainmail/plate? Is there a class feature that prevents heavy armor? Or are you perhaps wanting to make Stealth checks without disadvantage?

2StorM2
2018-09-21, 11:59 PM
Blood Hunter does not have Heavy Armour proficiency

Ventruenox
2018-09-22, 12:29 AM
Blood hunters get medium armor proficiency and as of v2.0, shields. Hence the low AC. It is a powerful, but very much a glass cannon class. You can check it out on DMs Guild or D&D Beyond.

As for your build, if you insist on Profane Soul, you have an opportunity here. If you can, multiclass two levels into Spore Druid and take Shillelagh. Wisdom SAD, spell utility, and damage boosts. The build is functional earlier, but comes online at 5 for the power boost and again at 7 with extra attack. The Spore Druid Wildshape poison spores stack with your Blood Rites. One round of buffing before attacks. If you Rite up your weapon beforehand, it'll help your action economy. When you get Profane Soul at 5, Hex stacks with your attacks as well. The Druid spell slots stack with your pact magic for additional castings throughout the day. You should have plenty to do with your bonus action each round, though I admit the multiple buffs compete with each other. You will always be a glass cannon, and even more fragile with PAM and double Rites, so look into Mobile over Sentinel.

V human starts you off with PAM or Mobile, but consider Githzerai for the defensive boosts, WIS bonus, and invisible Mage Hand.

At the risk of inciting the ire of this board, talk with your DM about how he feels about single handed PAM with quarterstaff and shield.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-09-22, 06:39 PM
Ventruenox offers good advice.

If you don't have access to the Spore Druid, I'd suggest the following:

Vhuman, with a level in Nature Cleric. You'll get Heavy Armor and one Druid cantrip, which is of course Shillelagh. And PAM for your starting feat. MC into Blood Hunter at 2nd level. After that, it's all good.

1Pirate
2018-09-22, 11:07 PM
If you're going Profane Soul, I actually think a PAM build is a bad choice(adding Sentinel is even worse since with that Constitution, you're going to want to take Tough or at least one or two Constitution ASIs)). Reason being that the bonus action attack from PAM is going to compete with Mystic Frenzy once you hit level 7, not to mention you can't get your rite damage on the PAM attack without expending another use of your Crimson Rite, which will just make you too squishy for melee. PAM is a pretty weak option for Blood Hunters in general since almost all the Maledicts are bonus actions or reactions, which is even more competition with your PAM abilities.

If you're going with a melee build, Tough is pretty much mandatory for blood hunters, so it might be better to forgo the polearm, and use a greatsword, or Sword & Board it with Dueling style. By level 7, your mainline attack turn will be Booming Blade+bonus action attack(not unlike an Eldritch Knight).

JakOfAllTirades
2018-09-23, 07:01 AM
If you plan to use two Crimson Rites at once, I'd recommend a 14 CON or better, AND the Tough feat. You'll need both to cope with that much self-inflicted damage. As for the off-hand attack, I ran a TWF Blood Hunter and avoided choosing bonus action Blood Curses, but it really limited my options. It also made amplifying the curses more difficult; you can really inflict a lot of damage on yourself using all these features at once.

jaappleton
2018-09-23, 09:31 AM
TWF isn’t a meme on BH. With their Crimson Rite damage, they’re quite deadly. Ask everyone’s favorite BH, Molly, who (if memory serves) led the Mighty Nein in kills.

Now, with shield proficiency added (FINALLY, I never agreed with how they didn’t get it before), I say their best option is either Duelist Style or TWF with, yes, the dual wielded Feat as a VHuman.

They’re so fragile. They really are. They need AC or they are, unfortunately, a liability that risks leeching the resources of the Healer.

A team including the BH and a Grave or Life Cleric, that’d make for quite an effective combo.

Ganymede
2018-09-23, 11:28 AM
If you're having trouble picking a path for Blood Hunter, you should consider selecting a class you are more comfortable using.

1Pirate
2018-09-23, 03:00 PM
Ask everyone’s favorite BH, Molly, who (if memory serves) led the Mighty Nein in kills.

Uhhh...
You can't ask Molly unless you know Speak With Dead. He dropped unconscious from amplifying a maledict and got killed by an Oni. His player had to roll up a new character.

jaappleton
2018-09-24, 01:24 PM
Uhhh...
You can't ask Molly unless you know Speak With Dead. He dropped unconscious from amplifying a maledict and got killed by an Oni. His player had to roll up a new character.

Oh I know. I'm quite a fan of Mr. Clay.

But prior to that, Molly was absolutely wrecking in combat.