PDA

View Full Version : I need to recover old, deleted email - How?

Magic_Hat
2018-09-22, 12:28 AM
Title pretty much says it all. I deleted an email a few years ago and as of recently came to the conclusion I shouldn't have done that. Long story. I'm not sure if this matter, but it was with gmail.

So to be blunt and restate the title: how do I recover it?

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-09-22, 01:12 AM
Ask the person that sent it to resend?

I don't know much about how webmails work, but I suspect that any remains of the associated temporary internet files, while recoverable just after deletion, have been mostly overwritten by now.

Sorry...

Edit: maybe if you have an old device on which you read the mail but which was retired shortly after there's a chance.

jayem
2018-09-22, 02:21 AM
Title pretty much says it all. I deleted an email a few years ago and as of recently came to the conclusion I shouldn't have done that. Long story. I'm not sure if this matter, but it was with gmail.

There's sometimes a folder called "deleted items", I presume you've looked there or it isn't present (3 years is a while, I think works clears through after a year).

If you normally download the messages, there is a chance if you go directly on the website (I found a message in the spam directory) that it only got deleted locally.

Magic_Hat
2018-09-22, 01:12 PM
Ask the person that sent it to resend?

This is gonna sound weird and cryptic, but that's not an option.

Algeh
2018-09-22, 02:28 PM

Is there some kind of support for Gmail that you can ask? They'd know more about the ins and outs of their email archive policies than we would.

thracian
2018-09-22, 10:31 PM
Supposedly you can sometimes recover emails from this page (https://support.google.com/mail/contact/missingemails), though it is intended to be used if emails were deleted from your account due to it being compromised.

eraskller
2018-09-24, 08:55 PM
It's been a long time , the deleted Email can not be recovered again .

LordEntrails
2018-09-25, 05:44 PM
Well, if it's serious and you have legal need, you could try to get a supeona or other legal document served on Google and have them retrieve it. I think they have to archive for 7 years. But it would definitely require lawyers and legal filings.

haskas
2018-09-27, 09:09 PM
This is almost impossible as the mail got deleted years ago. You may have some good luck if you could find an expert in data recovery field.

poppy
2018-10-01, 09:01 AM
Not possible now, I guess there's no backup for deleted Emails by default...Should contact sender...