PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Is Polymorph on your Find Greater Steed good?

Citadel97501
2018-09-22, 06:15 AM
Hello all, I have been reading the Mounted Bard guides and what not, and after looking over the Find Greater Steed which is available at level 10 for bards, I was wondering if its worth it to cast Polymorph on your mount as a small humanoid, since you could then have a dragon mount with all of the relevant benefits of a dragon over a Griffon/Pegasus, for example lets just say we use a Griffon into a Silver Dragon form, as this seems the most direct and effective in combat.

Griffon to Dragon: Lose 20 of movement to get, very nice breath weapons, 1 more accurate attack but lose out on a multi-attack that hits much harder, +5 AC, Better saves due to better attributes, immune to Cold. 45 health before being dropped back to Griffon form.

I assume that True Polymorph would be even better though as it would not take up a concentration slot, after you had an hour which might make this even better since you could then increase the mount's size as needed with Enlarge/Reduce, making Mounted Combat a more useful feat.

Darkstar952
2018-09-22, 06:30 AM
Polymorph can't turn it into a Dragon, Polymorph must turn the target into a beast. And the CR of the beast will be limited by the original CR of the mount (2 in the case of a griffon/Pegasus).

It could certainly be done using True Polymorph, but so much of the game breaks down at those levels anyway that it wouldn't matter too much.

Citadel97501
2018-09-22, 06:54 AM
Thank you, I was sure it was going to be something annoying like that. Oh well I guess I will stick with the Dragon Breath using Riding Lizard :) for low levels, followed by something else with Find Greater Steed.