PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Aspect of the Wolf/Earth Hunter source?

Fizban
2018-09-22, 09:43 AM
Question in the title. Aspect of the Wolf is listed with an arcane material component, but is not an arcane spell. This indicates either a significant typo in the original source, or that some aspects of the spell were changed without proper cleanup (or that someone just messed up transcribing it). Since I like looking up the original versions of spells to see how Spell Compendium broke them/I'm looking at writing some more single-form transformation spells, I'd like to see the original.

I expect it's in a web or magazine article, but there are a lot of those and I figure someone's got a list of what's in them somewhere, so easier to ask before I go digging.

Thurbane
2018-09-22, 05:27 PM
A bit of searching on DragonDex (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/spells.html) indicates that AotW and AotEH both originated in Dragon 320.

In the original printing, AotW was listed as Drd1, Sor/Wiz 1. So it looks like's it's just a copy/pasta issue, since they decided to not make it a Sor/Wiz spell when re-printed in SC.

Spell
Dragon 320
Spell Compendium

Aspect of the Earth Hunter
Drd 6
Drd 6, Rng 4

Aspect of the Wolf
Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Drd 1, Rng 1

Body of War
Sor/Wiz 6
Sor/Wiz 7

Displacer Form
Sor/Wiz 4
Sor/Wiz 4

Holy Transformation
Clr 7
Clr 7

Holy Transformation, Lesser
Clr 4
Clr 4

Infernal Transformation
Clr 7
Clr 7

Infernal Transformation, Lesser
Clr 4
Clr 4

Primal Form
Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3

Wild Runner
Drd 4
Drd 4, Rng 4

...so they changed some, but not all of them.

Fizban
2018-09-23, 03:15 AM
You know, once I'd thought about it, I figured you'd be the one that would have the list handy. Thanks, that's just what I needed.

Now I just have to decide whether I should make a bunch of those sor/wiz, or what. My aim is to create a spell suitable for the "bear potion" I've been seeing in various video games, but the problem is we've actually got a fairly clear divide here. Druids have a number of longer duration morph spells, possibly largely excused by their having Wild Shape anyway, while the sor/wiz -shape spells are very short and not really what I'm looking for. More X-shape spells, certainly, but that's not a good bear potion. But I hate the practice of dumping anything that's not a heal onto the sor/wiz list just because.

Funny enough, the easiest solution would be to strip the druid of those longer duration morph spells entirely, leaving them to their wild shape and leaving sor/wiz the only major purveyors of transformations. Either way, a bear potion spell can't actually match any of the existing non-Polymorph molds because it needs to be non-personal, so it'd be a new family of spells.