PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Who does Thor mean by "we"?

Mad Humanist
2018-09-22, 03:58 PM
Thor says:

Nothing we make - nothing we could ever possibly make - individually or together can ever contain the Snarl.

Does he mean "we the gods" or "we the Northern pantheon"? I think the former is the natural reading. But then how does the world imprison the Snarl?

B. Dandelion
2018-09-22, 04:01 PM
Thor says:
Nothing we make - nothing we could ever possibly make - individually or together can ever contain the Snarl.
Does he mean "we the gods" or "we the Northern pantheon"? I think the former is the natural reading. But then how does the world imprison the Snarl?

There's an implied "permanently" at the end of Thor's sentence there, I believe.

Kish
2018-09-22, 04:24 PM
Indeed. How does the world imprison the snarl? It doesn't, and that's why there are so many previously destroyed worlds and the current world has four open rifts in it.

Roland Itiative
2018-09-22, 06:51 PM
Yeah, he definitely means the three pantheons. It's the conclusion to the whole story, a three-colour creation just can't contain a four-colour being, and the Snarl is bound to escape give or take a few thousand years (which, in god speak, might as well mean "instantly"), as long as the world only has three colours.

The Northern pantheon on its own (or either of the others) probably wouldn't even be able to hold the Snarl for a few minutes, as everything they make is, quoting Thor, "ephemeral, little better than if it was made by a wizard". That's probably a lesson the Eastern pantheon learned the hard way, as they probably didn't die without giving at least a little bit of a fight, just to get utterly crushed.