PDA

View Full Version : (UA) Could a Warforged take his Long Rest while grappling a creature?

Damon_Tor
2018-09-22, 04:16 PM
Sentry’s Rest. When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours of it in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

Let's say there's a captive we really don't want to escape, and the Warforged is a really optimized grappler, and the captive doesn't have STR or DEX worth a damn, so there's no risk of him breaking the grapple. Because the Warforged simply has to "inactive" and "motionless" would this allow the Warforged to maintain the grapple and still benefit from a Long Rest?

Vorpalchicken
2018-09-22, 04:20 PM
I'd alow it. If I allowed Warforged.

edit- because it's hilarious.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-22, 04:39 PM
No. If they are inactive and motionless, they aren't keeping their hold on the graplee. Escaping grapple is opposed check, and the warforged can't rest and make the check at the same time, meaning the victim would automatically escape.

JNAProductions
2018-09-22, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I'd lean towards no. I'd imagine that the powered-down state would probably have a default position. And without anything to ACTIVELY stop the prisoner, I'd let them take 20 times as long as usual and automatically escape.

Besides which, you can just get some chain and maybe some locks. Boom, bam, done.

Unoriginal
2018-09-22, 04:43 PM
Sentry’s Rest. When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours of it in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

Let's say there's a captive we really don't want to escape, and the Warforged is a really optimized grappler, and the captive doesn't have STR or DEX worth a damn, so there's no risk of him breaking the grapple. Because the Warforged simply has to "inactive" and "motionless" would this allow the Warforged to maintain the grapple and still benefit from a Long Rest?

No. A grapple is an activity, if you are inactive and motionless you are not grappling.

sophontteks
2018-09-22, 04:57 PM
Nothing is impossible in d&d. At a minimum the creature will succeed 1 out of 400 tries (0.25% chance of success) if it had disadvantage and could only succeed on a nat 20. It can make this check 10 times per minute and the long rest lasts 6 hours, so it has 3600 chances to escape. Thats enough to handwave as the creature definately escaped, no matter the conditions.

But thats just something cute. Grappling isn't inactivity anyway.

Unoriginal
2018-09-22, 05:03 PM
Nothing is impossible in d&d. At a minimum the creature will succeed 1 out of 400 tries (0.25% chance of success) if it had disadvantage and could only succeed on a nat 20.

No, some things are impossible. If you can't beat the DC even with a 20 on the dice, the task is impossible (for you at least).

A natural 20 is an auto-success only for attacks.

No brains
2018-09-22, 05:22 PM
I'd say being 'inert' counts for 'incapacitated', even if it isn't 'unconscious'. Either the WF is actively trying to keep the hold or they're resting, they can't do both.

I guess if I wanted to approach this for the lulz, the DM would make a secret roll for the WF and keep that number for subsequent checks during rest. If the grappled creature beats that number, then the WF needs to use an action and interrupt their rest. On a good roll, the WF can act like ghetto manacles, but the prisoner can really make themselves the guest from hell.

Lunali
2018-09-22, 06:30 PM
Grappling and even restraining doesn't prevent attacks, and being immobile will give advantage to negate the disadvantage they get from being restrained. Eight hours of attacks at 1/round will average 240 nat 20s.