PDA

View Full Version : An Odd Spellcasting Predicament ft. Pact of the Chain and Magic Hands

Hero_Of_Mellow
2018-09-22, 05:52 PM
Hello all!

I am a Level 3 Tiefling Warlock in a bit of an odd situation. Recently, my party and I went to a lab where a mad doctor gave us potions with random effects.

The two effects that are notable are
A) I grew two small arms under my normal arms
B) My hands fell off all my 4 arms, and are considered creatures under my control that I can move willingly

I also took Pact of the Chain Warlock, and the Voice of the Chain Master invocation, that allows me to speak and see through my Familiar indefinitely while on the same plane.

I decided to make guantlets to attach my hands to my arms. However, I found that I could attach them to my Familiar alternatively.

Here's my question; technically, I can fulfill the Verbal, Somatic and Maternal (if holding a spell focus) components of spells if my Familiar wears these hands. As the hands being used are my own functional hands and I am reciting the verbal component myself, is this enough to be able to cast a spell with my Familiar?

Damon_Tor
2018-09-22, 06:15 PM
Hello all!

I am a Level 3 Tiefling Warlock in a bit of an odd situation. Recently, my party and I went to a lab where a mad doctor gave us potions with random effects.

The two effects that are notable are
A) I grew two small arms under my normal arms
B) My hands fell off all my 4 arms, and are considered creatures under my control that I can move willingly

I also took Pact of the Chain Warlock, and the Voice of the Chain Master invocation, that allows me to speak and see through my Familiar indefinitely while on the same plane.

I decided to make guantlets to attach my hands to my arms. However, I found that I could attach them to my Familiar alternatively.

Here's my question; technically, I can fulfill the Verbal, Somatic and Maternal (if holding a spell focus) components of spells. As the hands being used are my own functional hands and I am reciting the verbal component myself, is this enough to be able to cast a spell with my Familiar?

I think at this point you're pretty far off the reservation in terms of RAW. There aren't rules for how spellcasting works when your body is in multiple places. You've got to get your DM to adjudicate for you. I'd say a spell that explicitly comes from your hands (several of them say as much) would continue to do so, and would thus come from wherever your hands happen to be, even if that's in the space of another creature. You would still need to be able to see the target. If the spell doesn't say it comes from your hands then it originates from your space as normal.

Millstone85
2018-09-22, 06:24 PM
What Damon_Tor said.

But one thing...

Voice of the Chain Master invocation, that allows me to speak and see through my Familiar indefinitely while on the same plane.By "indefinitely", do you mean that it no longer takes your action every turn?

Because it still does.

link (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/696804013501591553)

Voice of the Chain Master enhances the find familiar spell, which otherwise works as written for the warlock.

link (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/703386258844700677)

Voice of the Chain Master extends the range of the link w/ a familiar, but you still take an action to use it.

Hero_Of_Mellow
2018-09-22, 06:33 PM
What about a spell using a Bonus Action or a Reaction?