PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Abyssal Sorcerer / Demonic Sorcerer First Draft

Ataboiiwhynot
2018-09-22, 08:05 PM
This is my first attempt at homebrewing an archetype for dungeons and dragons. It is currently hastily written and devoid of flavor, but I wanted to check here and see if the mechanics are sound and to make sure that there aren't any loopholes or oversights that make this either overpowered or underwhealming to any players.

Abyssal Heart Sorcerer

Demonic Legacy
You can speak, read, and write Abyssal and gain resistance to poison damage. You also learn the inflict wounds spell which is a sorcerer spell for you, but doesn’t count against spells known.

Vengeance
When you take damage from a creature, if you attack or cast a damaging spell that targets the creature, you can add your Charisma modifier to the damage against that creature. Your hate for that creature disappears after the end of your next turn or if a different creature damages you.

Seeds of Corruption
At 6th level. spells that target creatures can taint them with abyssal energy. Whenever you cast a spell, you can choose one creature affected by the spell and spend up to two sorcery points to sow an equivalent amount of demonic seeds in the target. Your damaging spells deal extra damage to creatures based on the amount of seeds affecting them. Each seed sown into a creature increases the damage it takes from your spells by 1 point.

You can use an action to remove 3 seeds from a creature within 30 feet and cause the creature to have disadvantage on its next saving throw. The seeds dissipate after eight hours of the last one being applied, and can be removed early with a casting of remove curse on the target. A single creature cannot be affected by more seeds of corruption than half your sorcerer level.

Dark Aura
At 14th level, when you take damage from a melee attack made by a creature affected by seeds of corruption, you may use a reaction to either reduce the damage you take by half or force the creature to make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature gains one seed of corruption.

If you kill a creature affected by seeds of corruption, you gain sorcery points equal to half the number of seeds affecting it. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short rest.

Demonic Takeover
At 18th level, you can allow the full extent of the abyss to channel through your body. Until your next turn, you gain resistance to lightning and cold damage, resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons, and immunity of fire and poison damage along with the poisoned condition. You deal 3d6 fire damage to any creature that starts its turn within 5 feet of you, or moves within 5 feet of you for the first time during its turn. When you use this feature, all creatures within 15 feet of you gain 3 seeds of corruption. When you use this feature, you can remove 3 seeds from a creature and impose disadvantage on their next saving throw. This feature can not be used again until you finish a long rest.

EDIT 1: choose one target affected by the spell and spend...

EDIT 2: ...up to two sorcery points to sow an equivalent amount of demonic seeds in the target. Along with altering of dark aura to be based on a short rest but only gives sorcery points equal to half the seeds, and changed demonic takeover so it essentially gives a free use of imposed disadvantage without use of an action.

JNAProductions
2018-09-22, 08:10 PM
Neat!

Only thing is that Seeds Of Corruption should specify the target has to be someone affected by the spell-as written, it allows you to pick literally anyone.

Ataboiiwhynot
2018-09-22, 08:29 PM
Oh Duh! There's probably a lot more wording errors on my part, but thanks because that was the whole point of the ability.

JNAProductions
2018-09-22, 08:31 PM
Oh Duh! There's probably a lot more wording errors on my part, but thanks because that was the whole point of the ability.

Yeah, don't worry. It's clear what's INTENDED, I just want to be sure your intent matches the words.

I gotta say, I find the subclass abilities really neat! Major props to you for coming up with them.

Edit: Wait, another error. It does NOT say how many SP each seed costs. Is it two? Or one?

Blackbando
2018-09-23, 08:13 AM
Worth noting is that, as-written, you can use Silver Tongue whenever, and then next month, it can activate, provided you never made any Charisma checks before then. Should probably have a duration, since that just feels a bit silly, imo.

In general, I do worry a little bit about Silver Tongue, since it's basically a free Guidance that doesn't take your concentration or action for Charisma checks. Additionally, since this is about demons, not devils, being good at Charisma doesn't make too much sense to me; demons are more about destruction and murder.

Ataboiiwhynot
2018-09-23, 09:37 AM
Demons are more about destruction and murder.

Ah let’s do something about that... I just rewrote the level 1 abilities. I might have gone a little overboard though...

Blackbando
2018-09-23, 12:40 PM
I think that's fine, yeah. Definitely feels more demon-y now.