PDA

View Full Version : Just noticed something

Hazkali
2007-09-16, 08:59 AM
Okay, I apologise if this has already been mentioned- I did try to check to see if it has but all I found were gender threads. I rarely come to the OotS board (I skulk around homebrew mostly...) but I noticed something that's got me all tingly...

Anyway, in OotS 484, first panel, bottom left hand corner, there is an off-screen character talking to the nobles. Now, this character is talking in a black-bubble-with-red-writing. Now, we all know that means he isn't human...so, what is he? And what does this mean?

My money's on the creature being the next big-bad...

blackspeeker
2007-09-16, 09:21 AM
Your theory was mentioned the day that comic came out, but its good tha you bring it back up, maye this can cause a transition back to topics that actually makes some sense.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-09-16, 09:23 AM
Okay, I apologise if this has already been mentioned- I did try to check to see if it has but all I found were gender threads. I rarely come to the OotS board (I skulk around homebrew mostly...) but I noticed something that's got me all tingly...

Anyway, in OotS 484, first panel, bottom left hand corner, there is an off-screen character talking to the nobles. Now, this character is talking in a black-bubble-with-red-writing. Now, we all know that means he isn't human...so, what is he? And what does this mean?

My money's on the creature being the next big-bad...

Well...given the events of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) comic...even though the color isn't a spot on match, I am betting that her visit to the lower planes is what spurred the 'something' talking to the noble in purple.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-16, 10:17 AM
Maybe it's Richard: http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/3

Edit: Drat, the colors aren't exactly the same. Still, that woulda been pretty funny.

Aeriander
2007-09-16, 10:36 AM
Wow, I didn't notice that.
The plot thickens!

basilisk 89
2007-09-16, 11:54 AM
Mr. Scruffy.

vivi
2007-09-16, 12:05 PM
Mr. Scruffy.
got to be mr. scruffy!:smalltongue:

dish
2007-09-16, 12:17 PM
Much as I am intrigued by your Mr. Scruffy theory (and wish to subscribe to your newsletter, etc,) I feel compelled to point out that our sadly-missed feline friend does meow in normal speech colours (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0283.html).

Though possibly he's been possessed by a demon feline from the lower litter-box dimensions?

Ecalsneerg
2007-09-16, 12:21 PM
Much as I am intrigued by your Mr. Scruffy theory (and wish to subscribe to your newsletter, etc,) I feel compelled to point out that our sadly-missed feline friend does meow in normal speech colours (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0283.html).

Though possibly he's been possessed by a demon feline from the lower litter-box dimensions?

Eugene's illusion spoke in big red bubbles. Maybe Mr Scruffy is a master illusionist too. Although his cuteness would make him a high-Cha Sorcerer probably.

Ancalagon
2007-09-16, 02:33 PM
Probaly Xykons old boss. Accomanied by his right hand's brother's daughter. Or so. This solution seems more likely than anything else, apart from... it could be something we do not yet know stuff about.

basilisk 89
2007-09-16, 03:24 PM

Well obviously he wouldn't use the red text when around his enemies. :smalltongue:

David Argall
2007-09-16, 03:42 PM
Well...given the events of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) comic...even though the color isn't a spot on match, I am betting that her visit to the lower planes is what spurred the 'something' talking to the noble in purple.

Almost certainly not. Our mystery voice is almost certainly ignorant of the Gates and their significance.
It seems to have advised Kubota to leave the city and let the lich do what it pleases, a policy that makes some sense if one does not know about the Gate and how vital it is. The lich comes, destroys the army, and much of the city, but then leaves and you can rule the remains... Nicely evil and practical.
But it is practical only if the lich is planning on leaving, which he wasn't until the Gate was destroyed. Leaving town while the lich grabs the gate and makes himself able to rule the world? That is most impractical. You are handing him the world, and not getting paid. Much better to stay and fight him off, or find a way to join him and be paid for treason.
So our mystery voice didn't know of the Gate, and probably still doesn't.

Studoku
2007-09-16, 04:17 PM
The colour is different for each demon in that comic so it could be another similar demon but not one of the 3 from comic 380. The direction of the speech bubble also suggests that the talker is much taller than your average human.

NerfTW
2007-09-16, 04:24 PM
Except that the rift can't be controlled now. They don't have the rituals to bind it, just to control an already bound gate. Besides, Nale told Sabine about all 3 remaining gates, which means her employers would know about them too, and Girard's gate is currently the least protected in terms of monsters.

Besides, if they could control a rift without the gate, why wouldn't Xykon (or the voice) just gone back to Red Mountain and use the one that's lying there unguarded? Or Lirian's gate?

gnomas
2007-09-16, 07:33 PM
maybe it's elan and nale's dad!

David Argall
2007-09-16, 09:26 PM
It has been considered, and rejected.
The voice seems to be non-humanoid due to color, and Nale and Elan are both apparently full human.
Their presumaptive dad is an emperor, who has a far-away empire to run, and no time to be some silly advisor.

This is somebody new. It has not appeared in the comic before. Everybody has to appear once some time.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-16, 10:03 PM
I say it's Sabine's little demon buddies.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-09-16, 10:34 PM
Almost certainly not. Our mystery voice is almost certainly ignorant of the Gates and their significance.
It seems to have advised Kubota to leave the city and let the lich do what it pleases, a policy that makes some sense if one does not know about the Gate and how vital it is. The lich comes, destroys the army, and much of the city, but then leaves and you can rule the remains... Nicely evil and practical.
But it is practical only if the lich is planning on leaving, which he wasn't until the Gate was destroyed. Leaving town while the lich grabs the gate and makes himself able to rule the world? That is most impractical. You are handing him the world, and not getting paid. Much better to stay and fight him off, or find a way to join him and be paid for treason.
So our mystery voice didn't know of the Gate, and probably still doesn't.

Demons are CE and many want nothing more than to cause the ultimate destruction of the world...why would they not promise a mortal power or rishes to tempt them into helping destroy the universe?

Then again...it could be just about anything...stories have ways of being completely random. However, since I do believe that Rich has put some deep thought into the comic story and the universe, I believe that there have been hints about the future and mentions of people to come later. As such, Sabine going off and telling a bunch of demons seems like it would influence the situation if another group of powers had their say in the matter.

Also, It seems that Belkar and Haley would be the perfect duo to crash into Tyrannia and see about getting her dad back...just in case their reunification with the others takesa bit longer than normal.

Fawkes
2007-09-16, 10:45 PM
Also, It seems that Belkar and Haley would be the perfect duo to crash into Tyrannia and see about getting her dad back...just in case their reunification with the others takesa bit longer than normal.

Especially if they're still carrying Flopsy around.

David Argall
2007-09-16, 11:07 PM
Demons are CE and many want nothing more than to cause the ultimate destruction of the world...why would they not promise a mortal power or rishes to tempt them into helping destroy the universe?
We are positing here that these demons learned about the Gate from Sabine. But Red Words is talking like it has a long relationship with Kubota, easily predating Sabine's learning of the Gate. It might promise Kubota anything at all, but it's plot can't be based on the gate.

If it did know of the gate, its advice seems like nonsense. Indeed, it seems likely it would simply abandon the city and head for one of the remaining gates in hopes of controling that, and the world.

Sabine's friends simply do not fit the available facts.

Belkar and Haley??? Elan and Haley maybe, but Belkar doesn't fit at all. Not to mention we are talking a long sea voyage, etc. No way the revival of Roy can wait that long.

The Extinguisher
2007-09-16, 11:29 PM
Belkar and Haley??? Elan and Haley maybe, but Belkar doesn't fit at all. Not to mention we are talking a long sea voyage, etc. No way the revival of Roy can wait that long.

Sure it can. They'll probably meet up on the Western Continent. After Elan and Haley learn something about the other's parentage. And since Belkar is with Haley, he'd obviously tag along.

Khosan
2007-09-16, 11:36 PM
We are positing here that these demons learned about the Gate from Sabine. But Red Words is talking like it has a long relationship with Kubota, easily predating Sabine's learning of the Gate. It might promise Kubota anything at all, but it's plot can't be based on the gate.

If it did know of the gate, its advice seems like nonsense. Indeed, it seems likely it would simply abandon the city and head for one of the remaining gates in hopes of controling that, and the world.

Sabine's friends simply do not fit the available facts.

If its relationship does pre-date the demons knowing about the gates, then it's possible it's a demon lord that doesn't know about them.

Demons aren't really known for working together on things like this.

Unless they're Devils.

David Argall
2007-09-17, 02:42 AM
If its relationship does pre-date the demons knowing about the gates, then it's possible it's a demon lord that doesn't know about them.

Of course, but the speculation is that this is a demonlord that Sabine reports to. So this amounts to saying the speculation is wrong and the voice a new unknown.

Flame Master Axel Quote:
Originally Posted by David Argall

Sure it can. They'll probably meet up on the Western Continent. After Elan and Haley learn something about the other's parentage. And since Belkar is with Haley, he'd obviously tag along.

Inside a week Roy is going to start to really stink. And Belkar is going to have to stay near him. So no. Roy gets raised much too fast for them to reach the Western continent.

But just what is this eagerness to rush off to the next continent? With only part of the party yet? There are lots of things to settle in AC. The party has got to rescue O-Chul, revive Roy, and install Hinjo as lord of the city. This is plenty of work for the entire party and will take a major portion of the upcoming book, if not all of it.
The Western continent comes in the next book, when the whole party can take part.