PDA

View Full Version : Do two different effects...

SangoProduction
2018-09-22, 11:22 PM
If two different abilities give you the ability to make perception checks on approaching traps (regardless of searching for them or not), do you get to make 2 perception checks? For example, the Divination sphere's See Hazard

See Hazard (sense) [Core]
You may spend a spell point to gain a free Perception check to notice traps and hazards when you are within 10 ft of them, be they mechanical (trip wires, dart throwers, etc.) magical (rune spells, sigils, etc.) or natural (quick sand, pit falls, etc.). This does not give you insight into disabling such traps or hazards.

Or Rogue's Trap Spotter (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo-rogue-talents/trap-spotter-ex/),

Whenever a rogue with this talent comes within 10 feet of a trap, she receives an immediate Perception skill check to notice the trap. This check should be made in secret by the GM.

And the Scout sphere's Heightened Awareness

Heightened Awareness
When actively searching with the Perception skill (a move action), you may detect the presence of ongoing magical auras, such as those left by spells such as alarm or invisibility. If the target does not normally have a Perception DC, the DC is equal to the original spell DC as determined by the spell’s caster (DC 10 + spell level + caster’s casting ability modifier), or DC 25 if the effect does not originate from a source that would make it possible to determine a spell DC. This does not give you any information about the exact nature of magical effects detected in this manner, you are merely aware that a magical effect is active and the general area it is active in.

So long as you have martial focus, you may make a Perception check to notice the presence of traps or ongoing magical effects (as described above) whenever you pass within 10 ft. of them, whether or not you are actively looking.

I assume each such effect can only happen once per trap, but can each one proc separately?

PhantasyPen
2018-09-23, 01:29 PM
I'm of the belief that you only get one check per player, but arguments might be made that the other abilities could give a situational bonus perhaps.

daremetoidareyo
2018-09-23, 01:47 PM
I believe that the Rogue ability stacks with the other abilities because it is an immediate action, whereas the Divination ability is a free action.

DeTess
2018-09-23, 02:55 PM
RAW, I'd say you would get two checks, as they're two distinct abilities with separate activation costs and resource investments. If I was the DM I'd probably make a general rule for situations/combos like this with players where you only get one roll, but each additional source adds a circumstance bonus. This way, the game doesn't get bogged down by players rolling 2 or more times for the same thing, but you're still getting rewarded for investing the resources.