PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Arms of Hadar & Mounts?

Citadel97501
2018-09-23, 04:42 AM
Hello all, I want to make sure I understood how this spell interacts with mounts before I decide to pass on it? The way I am reading it, this spell works on all creatures within 10' of you, so if you tried to cast it your mount will also be smashed around a bit? If you were using a summoned (Find Steed) mount with this spell, you could use it and have it affect your mount as well, but then you both get hit with the strength saves but everyone else will be having a really bad day, so basically both you and your mount would get hit for 2d6, but everyone else takes 2d6 per save failed or 1/2 damage for both so at best they would take 2d6?

This sounds good on the surface but due to the low health of most mounts this is a very bad idea.

Kadesh
2018-09-23, 04:48 AM
RAW is clear: all creatures get hit, innthe same way that casting Fireball lands on you. RAW also provides an answer: Careful Spell Metamagic to let you choose who to not effect.

Them's the breaks.

Citadel97501
2018-09-23, 04:56 AM
I am fine with it, I was just making sure I didn't miss anything to simple.

Lunali
2018-09-23, 05:02 AM
RAW is clear: all creatures get hit, innthe same way that casting Fireball lands on you. RAW also provides an answer: Careful Spell Metamagic to let you choose who to not effect.

Them's the breaks.

Even with careful spell they'll take half damage.

Kadesh
2018-09-23, 05:41 AM
You could always ask your DM if you can get a special bridle, saddle or barding (note, you'll probably also need to spend some down time training the mount to become proficient - not strictly RAW, but given that we're already within homebrew territory) set up with the Careful Spell Metamagic effect cast on. Maybe even allow you to cast Warding Bond 1/long rest (or 1/short rest even) if he's generous.

Even with careful spell they'll take half damage.

For some reason I was thinking that the spell knocked them back 10ft, and I assumed the failed save would be the knockback. That said, a Warhorse with Full Plate Barding of Necrotic Resistance (or just Full Plate with Warding Bond active) is taking only 1pt of damage from that spell on Average with Careful Spell, and even on max roll at 1st level, it's taking only 3pts of damage.