PDA

View Full Version : Really Big Golemn

Benejeseret
2007-09-16, 09:06 AM
I am looking for rules for making and customizing golemns.

I have found the 5000g/HD and 50000gp/sizeup regulations, but presumably these only work within the normal moster advancement range (up to huge).

How would one handle colossal or colossal+, colossal++ etc golemns for base cost and special material price - assume stone golemn?

Here is why I am interested:
1. PC artificer (say level 16) with leadership feat
2. Cohort artificer (lvl 14)
3. They run an school full of young hopeful artificers (followers all artificers lvls 1-5 ( about 60 in total )

I am hoping to have the entire school work towards constructing a massive (colossal or bigger) walking platform golemn, likely stone. The arificers and their homulculi and smaller golemns would be building their school, dorms, and research courtyard into a golemn, using their constructs and animated objects to do the heavy lifting and building. In a large ceremony numerous magical items are cosumed and converted towards XP and all the students/teachers channel XP into the construct.

Looking for something like the walker from the new Universe at War [pc] game Heirarchy walker. The whole school would them move at the headmasters command and be a mobile base and research station.

If the 5000gp/hd 50000gp/size could be added to a stone golem all the way up to colosall++, how many HD should a colossal, colossal+, colossal++ construct have?

As a start, Huge Stone Golemn has 42HD.

Any books/rules cover this?

Thanks

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-16, 09:09 AM
Well, if you look in the Epic Handbook, there are colossi, which are CR high twenty golems. Other then that, just use standard monster advancement.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 09:21 AM
If you can't do it with the normal advancement rules, it's probably best to use a custom/homebrew creation. It would give you much better results.

Colossuses are also in the SRD (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicNonAbominations.html#colossus). But they a crafter capable of casting epic level spells.

If the whole thing is meant to be a big ol' school project, though, it is probably best to use a custom creation, as I suggested above. All the standard constructs assume a single creator. It would be more fun if you could create something that assumes multiple creators working in tandem.

Benejeseret
2007-09-16, 09:54 AM
OK

Here is what I have assuming simply the 5000/hd and 50000gp/size

Colossal++ Stone Golemn

Base cost starting with huge golemn 42HD and going to colossal++ and 60HD

Base:191000gp
4 size increases: 200000
18HD: 90000

Base total:481000+cost of special material (5000gp for huge...lets assume 15000gp for this ones size)

Cost to make=242000 gp
Cost of XP = 19240 XP
Days to make = 481 days

stats

60d10+120 (420)
Init:-2
Movement:20ft
Armour: 43 (-8 size (assumed -4,-6+,-8++), -2 Dex, +43 natural (+6for+,+7for++)
Base Attack/grapple: (Assumes epic advcancement as +20HD?)+40/+85
Slam +61 melee (4d8+29)
2Slam +61 melee (4d8+29)
40 ft./30 ft. ((actually likely much bigger, longer, wider, taller but assume the walker legs are about the same reach....basically is a walking castle.)
Slow (DC=40)
Construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to magic, low-light vision
Fort +23, Ref +21, Will +23 (assumes epic advancement as over 20HD?)
Str 69 (4 size increases +8 each), Dex 7, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 11, Cha 1

Immunity to Magic (Ex)

A transmute rock to mud spell slows*
A stone to flesh spell negates DR*

Is this about right?
I had to assume/guess at the colossal+ and colossal++ advancements

Thanks

OzymandiasVolt
2007-09-16, 12:04 PM
Stone golems cap at 42 hit dice and Huge size. As demonstrated by the Greater Stone Golem entry in the MM and SRD.

Benejeseret
2007-09-16, 12:51 PM
Aware of the stone golemn limit, wanted to see if my homebrew 'advancement' was feasable.

Returning to RAW. Can artificers emulate epic spells before they themselves are epic in the case of crafting?

ie.They get fireball scrolls etc far sooner than a wizard can.

ie. Crafting a Stone Colossus takes:

A stone colossus’s body is chiseled from a single block of hard stone, such as granite, weighing at least 375,000 pounds. The colossus costs 760,000 gp to create, which includes 100,000 gp for the body. Assembling the body requires a successful Craft (sculpting) or Craft (masonry) check (DC 37). The creator must be 25th level and able to cast epic spells. Completing the ritual drains 30,600 XP from the creator and requires geas/quest, limited wish, polymorph any object, and shatter.

However....NONE of the spells required are actually epic. But assuming you still need to emulate a Lvl 25 wizard

Emulate a Class Feature

"Sometimes you need to use a class feature to activate a magic item. In this case, your effective level in the emulated class equals your Use Magic Device check result minus 20. This skill does not let you actually use the class feature of another class. It just lets you activate items as if you had that class feature."

Sooo...DC=45 UMD to emulate the epic caster ability?