PDA

View Full Version : Mephits (Potential Sunless Citadel Spoilers)

Kadesh
2018-09-23, 06:21 AM
Curious as to the ecology of a Mephit. They're imp-like beings native to the elemental planes, and thus are subject to banishment etc (should you ever feel your fancy of using a 4th level spell to deal with a single 1/4CR creature). However, what happens when they're killed? Back in 3.5, they had Mephlings - but as their fluff can be essentially scaled down in 5e to being Genasi Halflings, I'm not sure if they'll ever be a thing.

Has it ever been expanded upon what happens when they die. I know they explode, but do they reform back on the elemental plane?

This is more of a curiosity than anything.

Potential Sunless Citadel Spoilers]My players have just entered the Keg Room and spent some time knocking about and have just pried off the top of the keg to see two pairs of angry eyes looking up at them, and I'm curious as to how furiously they are willing to attack - are they willing to go back to the home plane to attempt to reform safe in the knowledge that even in their death they'll explode and potentially take one with them, or are they going to try and preserve their life after getting beaten around a bit - they have a reasonable enough Intelligence for me to consider them able to make that call. We ended the session there as it was getting late.

Also, what would be the effects of that given that they are no longer providing water in the keg; where do the pipes in the Water Cache go? Who uses the Water Cache, and who is likely to be annoyed by its loss? There doesn't seem to be much, but with the water source gone, who gets affected by that? Are the goblins going to be taking Exhaustion as they run out of water, or do the Kobolds begin to lose their foothold?

Unoriginal
2018-09-23, 06:34 AM
Curious as to the ecology of a Mephit. They're imp-like beings native to the elemental planes, and thus are subject to banishment etc (should you ever feel your fancy of using a 4th level spell to deal with a single 1/4CR creature). However, what happens when they're killed? Back in 3.5, they had Mephlings - but as their fluff can be essentially scaled down in 5e to being Genasi Halflings, I'm not sure if they'll ever be a thing.

Has it ever been expanded upon what happens when they die. I know they explode, but do they reform back on the elemental plane?

This is more of a curiosity than anything.

My players have just entered the Keg Room and spent some time knocking about and have just pried off the top of the keg to see two pairs of angry eyes looking up at them, and I'm curious as to how furiously they are willing to attack - are they willing to go back to the home plane to attempt to reform safe in the knowledge that even in their death they'll explode and potentially take one with them, or are they going to try and preserve their life after getting beaten around a bit - they have a reasonable enough Intelligence for me to consider them able to make that call. We ended the session there as it was getting late.

Also, what would be the effects of that given that they are no longer providing water in the keg; where do the pipes in the Water Cache go? Who uses the Water Cache, and who is likely to be annoyed by its loss? There doesn't seem to be much, but with the water source gone, who gets affected by that? Are the goblins going to be taking Exhaustion as they run out of water, or do the Kobolds begin to lose their foothold?

Mephits explode and die for good, unless they were brought here by conjuration magic which dissipates when the summoned creature reaches 0 HPs.

The ones in the Sunless Citadel aren't going to reform in their home plane if they die, and so will probably avoid fighting to the death if they can avoid it.

Kadesh
2018-09-23, 06:41 AM
Good to note, thanks - may I make a cheeky request that the spoiler tags are fixed in the quote? I'v only just seen I'd messed up the code.