PDA

View Full Version : Forgot a invocation name

D' Dragonsbane
2018-09-23, 07:19 AM
TL;DR I'm look for the name of a invocation that gives limited alter self

So I'm playing in a campaign. The DM is fine with most sources. I play a Dread necromancer warlock. Due to magical stuff I can temporarily become undead. While looking online for ways to convert a community to undead, it mentioned somewhere to use Alter Self as a undead to transform into spawning undead. I remembered I saw a invocation somewhere that gave me Alter Self at-will. I don't have quick access to magical items, nor do I have quick access to GP, so the invocation is currently my only solution. Does anyone know it's name?

Temotei
2018-09-23, 07:32 AM
A quick search comes up with shrouding transformation.

Not sure where to find it, though. Seems kind of borked if it gives alter self at will.

Sian
2018-09-23, 07:46 AM
A quick search comes up with shrouding transformation.

Not sure where to find it, though. Seems kind of borked if it gives alter self at will.

It's Homebrew, best i can tell it showed up on some questionable sides trying to peddle it as the real deal in '15

Telonius
2018-09-23, 08:50 AM
I looked this up awhile ago. The original page listing the homebrew stuff is gone now, but the link is below in case you want to Wayback it.

This page (http://dnd.kermodebear.org/InvocationLists) has some homebrew Invocations listed. Notable are Shrouding Transformation and Dark Arcana (both of which are very powerful for Least invocations), and Eldritch Beam (which turns your Eldritch Blast from a single-target attack into a 60-foot line).

Zaq
2018-09-23, 10:27 AM
Dragon Magic has Humanoid Shape, which is similar to Alter Self at-will.

Only works on Humanoid forms, though, and it’s a DFA invocation rather than a Warlock invocation. I vaguely recall a feat on the WotC website that lets a Warlock pick up a DFA-specific invocation or vice versa, but I seem to recall it being level-gated to an unusuable degree.

The Viscount
2018-09-23, 11:43 AM
Dragon Magic has Humanoid Shape, which is similar to Alter Self at-will.

Only works on Humanoid forms, though, and it’s a DFA invocation rather than a Warlock invocation. I vaguely recall a feat on the WotC website that lets a Warlock pick up a DFA-specific invocation or vice versa, but I seem to recall it being level-gated to an unusable degree.

You are correct about that. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613) You have to be at least level 11 to select it, and you must either be dragonblooded or complete a special quest. You're better off just dipping 1 level, most likely.

Zaq
2018-09-23, 11:51 AM
You are correct about that. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613) You have to be at least level 11 to select it, and you must either be dragonblooded or complete a special quest. You're better off just dipping 1 level, most likely.

Ugh, yeah, that's bad. Humanoid Shape is a lesser invocation, so you need Dark level Warlock invocations (usually available at ECL 16+ on a straight-class 'Lock) to be allowed to take HS with that feat. Not worth it.

Can't get Humanoid Shape with a one-level dip for much the same reason, unfortunately.

Troacctid
2018-09-23, 12:23 PM
There is no invocation that lets you use Alter Self. The closest is Humanoid Shape, which is only for Dragonfire Adepts, followed by Mask of Flesh, which is a crappy version of Disguise Self.