PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The intelligent Kenku Barbarian

MightyDuck
2018-09-23, 08:30 AM
This one is a doozy. Okay, so my friend handed me this character concept and asked me to try and make it work, they want to play a kenku, Path of the Ancestral Guardian Barbarian with high intelligence and knowledge skills. Mercifully I rolled pretty high stats for the character and I've done my best with the character and flavour elements they gave me but I'd like to know if there are any ways to improve this build... If it even deserves to be called a build.

Str 18, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12 (with racial bonuses) HP 14 and AC 15

Custom background
Proficiency in History, Arcana, Nature, athletics and understands common, draconic and sylvan

Wields a glaive (for flavour), 4 javelins and a sling (again for flavour)

I've suggested taking an ASI at level 4 and giving +1 to dex and con (For AC and HP) and then taking polearm master for the next, then just ASIs or the kenku racial feat for more flavor.

Any critiques, suggestions, recommendations or ideas are appriciated, cause I got no idea what else I can do xD

CTurbo
2018-09-23, 10:04 AM
I like it. It's different. I agree with the +1 Dex and Con and then PAM or doing that in reverse. I would definitely want either Ritual Caster and/or Magic Initiate Wizard at some point for more flavor.

I would put the 9 in Cha and put the 13 in Wis and probably grab the Res(Wis) feat late since that would be the character's biggest weakness.

MightyDuck
2018-09-25, 06:45 AM
I like it too xD high charisma and low wisdom was an RP choice, the character was adopted by a bodacious Aarakocra bard (who the same player is currently playing) so she's inherits some of her mothers charisma, also charisma helps with the Kenku's mimicry feature. I'll definitely consider suggesting magic initiate or ritual caster at some point, that could be really thematic, any suggestions on spells?!

CTurbo
2018-09-25, 10:07 AM
Magic Initiate: Bard would also fit great considering the backstory. Vicious Mockery could be just repeating what she heard her mother say, and then grab Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, or Mending.

Magic Initiate: Wizard would also be be great with the Int. Find Familiar for a Raven or Owl would be cool along with a couple of utility cantrips.

Vogie
2018-09-25, 02:30 PM
Barbarians are pretty straightforward, build wise, so that works well.

Another option, if you don't think you'll get to level 20, is dipping out.

Dipping into Wizard will give you find familiar, ritual casting, and:

2 levels in War Wizard would give you a Mini-Alert feat and Arcane Deflection could be refluffed as the bird being quite dexterous and/or lucky.
2 levels of Divination wizard would also give something similar, as your Portent Die could be used as initiative or any other roll, just not as reliably.
2 levels of Conjuration Wizard will help the Kenku to travel light, allowing them conjure up furniture and other mundane things. This could also be refluffed as being able to grab things from the spirit realm to follow the concept.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-25, 03:05 PM
It's a fine build.

And this point it's less about mechanical choices and more about roleplaying choices IMHO. unless the player really wants to go further into it and pick up Keen Mind and Observant.