PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Myrmidon, a fighter archetype

Fellentos
2018-09-24, 01:49 AM
Hey guys,

I homebrewed a fighter achetype: The Myrmidon:https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LN68ICvNTAUz8TM8PfB

Design considerations:

Easy to play, easier than the Battlemaster
Manouvers without superiority dice (so usable every turn)
Balanced

Notes:
Stole "Menacing Attack" and "Sweeping Attack" from the Battlemaster and nerfed it, because I felt they fit more with this class than the Battlemaster.

Inspiration: The cinematic movie "Troy"

Let me know what you think!

kosh49
2018-09-24, 01:00 PM
This is an interesting idea, although the damage bonuses at level 3 worry me (particularly on True Strike). I am concerned that they may be too good relative to what other fighters get at level 3.

Vanguard looks fine.

Combat Moves
Power Attack - I find the wording of this confusing. I would word it as follows:
When you hit a creature as part of the attack action, you can use a bonus action to attempt to deal damage equal to your Strength modifier to one creature within 5ft of the original target that you can reach with the weapon that hit the original target. You hit second target if your original attack roll beats their AC. If you incapacitate the initial target with your attack and the remaining damage exceeds your Strength bonus you can deal the remaining damage to the second target (if you hit) instead of your Strength bonus.
Guard. I like this, but would reword it as well.
You aid your allies in battle. If an enemy hits an ally you can see within 5 ft of you, you can use your reaction to grant a +2 AC bonus to that ally.

Combined Training - I find this confusing as well. I think the bonus is that the person who trains with the Myrmidon adds half the Myrmidon's proficiency bonus to a specific skill (chosen during the long rest) that both have until the next long rest and the Myrmidon gets advantage on a single skill check before the next long rest (there does not appear to be a restriction on which skill the Myrmidon uses this for or when the Myrmidon uses it other than before the next long rest). If that is correct I believe it is reasonable as is, although the ability name makes me wonder if it would make more sense for the benefit to be symmetric: Until the next long rest the person who trains with the Myrmidon adds half the Myrmidon's proficiency bonus to a specific skill (chosen during the long rest) that both have and the Myrmidon adds half the other person's proficiency bonus to the same skill.

Special Combat Moves
Bastion - The sentence "Also, if you disengage, you provide the same bonus to your allies if they can see you." bothers me. First of all, it is not clear to me what bonus you are providing to the allies that can see you. Also concerning is the fact that as written this seems to provide a bonus to all allies that can see you, no matter how many of them there are or how far away from you they are which feels overpowered (although that may depend on what the benefit actually is).

Superior Reflexes - This looks good, but I think you should add a restriction that at least one reaction each round must be used for an opportunity attacks or a combat move. Otherwise a one level dip into wizard will let the Myrmidon cast Shield and Absorb Elements in the same round which does not seem to match your intention.

Elite Combat Moves - I like these.