PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need some help

Giannino
2018-09-24, 03:07 AM
Hi all, currently i'm DMing a level 3 party of 9 players, slow advancement (about 3 level in 1 year of real time play, low magic setting)

- Elven ranger2/druid1 (archer, support, summoner)
- Elven rogue2/swashbuckler1 (dps, trap expert)
- Elven wizard3 (battlefield Control, blaster)
- Elven ranger2/scout1 (dps archer, scout)
- human cleric3 (tank, healer)
- human paladin3 (tank, healer)
- gnome cleric3 (Summoner, healer)
- Dwarf fighter3 (tank)
- Half-orc barbarian1/fighter2 (tank)

I want to give each of them a single (maybe legacy) magic item during the campaign but i'm low on ideas.
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Boggartbae
2018-09-24, 09:45 AM
Will this be the only magic item they get?

I've always liked giving players weird magic items that don't mesh perfectly with their builds, but reward creativity.

Hunter Noventa
2018-09-24, 09:49 AM
By Legacy do you mean something from the 'Weapons of Legacy' book? Those can be powerful, but you'll want to be careful about the drawbacks involved, doubly so since in a low-magic setting they won't easily be able to get some of the things that mitigate them.

Also, what are you trying to help your players with? Shoring up weaknesses? Enhancing strengths?

AnimeTheCat
2018-09-24, 09:59 AM
Here's something that I've considered that meshes well with a low-magic setting and is reminiscent of old-world mythology (beowulf and the like).

Bestow upon the party each one piece of masterwork quality equipment (weapon, shield, armor, staff, etc). As they use that piece of equipment, think about how they are using it and have it develop traits. Start off by adding it without their knowing, but flavorfully describe it when the effect happens. Think of it as them creating their own Weapon of Legacy, their fortitude and willpower imprinting itself on their weapon. This way it's not just a magic item dump and is repeatable with other pieces of equipment. Then, if this world you're in is continued after the party's time, you can include these items as artifacts of heros of the past, or include these characters in the game as living legends with equipment beyond the comprehension of the layman.

Just a concpet.

Giannino
2018-09-24, 10:08 AM
Yes, each player will have only one magic item in the whole campaign and it will improve like a legacy item.
I just need some cool ideas that stick with their character flavour.

AnimeTheCat
2018-09-24, 11:58 AM
- Elven ranger2/druid1 (archer, support, summoner) - A bow that allows the arrows to be turned in to entagling shots. have them function like a tanglefoot bag.

- Elven rogue2/swashbuckler1 (dps, trap expert) - depending on the type of DPS, if one-handed rapier weilding, allow it to grant an insight bonus to their AC as well as increase sneak attack by +1d6. If dual weilding, have them be paired that add +1d6 to sneak attack damage only.

- Elven wizard3 (battlefield Control, blaster) - A staff that adds it's enhancement bonus to caster level for direct damage spells (for duration and damage) or to non-damaging spells that target an opponent, not the caster or allies (for duration).

- Elven ranger2/scout1 (dps archer, scout) - A bow that shoots an additional projectile at no penalty whenever the scout skirmishes (since you normally can't do more than 1 shot with a skirmish). Have Skirmish damage apply to both arrows. Same attack roll for both.

- human cleric3 (tank, healer) - A holy symbol that grants a bonus to Caster level when determining the bonus damage heald by Conjuration [Healing] spells, as well as add Wisdom modifier to damage healed.

- human paladin3 (tank, healer) - A shield that grants the shield's bonus to AC as a bonus to the Paladin's Level when determining Lay on Hands pool.

- gnome cleric3 (Summoner, healer) - A holy symbol or Staff (that can be used as a holy symbol) that grants a bonus to caster level equal to the enhancement bonus to summoning spells and also allows them to be cast as a standard action as opposed to a 1 round casting time.

- Dwarf fighter3 (tank) - a shield or armor that creates an aura effect that forces will saves for all creatures in a 30 ft radius around the fighter that requres a DC 10+Fighter Level+Constitution Modifer Will Save or they must attack the fighter (shouldn't work against mindless foes... but maybe better with time to end up effecting them).

- Half-orc barbarian1/fighter2 (tank) - some kind of head gear that increases Rage by a few rounds or increases the number of rages per day, and allows the size to increase to Large when raging.

just some preliminary thoughts...