PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some imput on Fighter/Rogue

Shinkoro
2007-09-16, 10:46 AM
I realize this may not be the most optimized build, but its what I am working with at the moment. Elven Rogue 2/Fighter 2. I built this way because I wanted a archer type but had to include rogue because we needed one in Undermountain. I realize that a wizard can detect traps and such. But, we needed a scout and trap remover who could consistently handle things, I went 2 levels to pick up evasion too. Ok, here we go my stats and feats.

Strength: 18
Dexterity: 20
Constitution: 14
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 10

Feats:

1st Rogue: Able leaner, I got the OK for this.
2nd Rogue
3rd Fighter: Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot
4th Fighter: Rapid Shot

Now when I made this character it was somewhat on the fly. I intended to go rogue 2/ fighter 4/ Order of the Bow Initiate 2/ Fighter 14.

I thought it would look something like this as I went along.

5th Fighter
6th Fighter: Weapon Focus, Improved Initiative
7th OoBI
8th OoBI
9th Fighter: Woodland Archer or possibly Improved Critical
10th Fighter: Feat ???
11th Kensai
12th Kensai: Feat ???
13th Kensai
15th Kensai: Feat ???
16th Kensai
17th Fighter
18th Fighter: 2 Feat ???
19th Fighter
20th Fighter: Feat ???

Now heres my biggest issue: Is there any way to escape the exp penalty? I'm also open to suggestions as far as character direction. Redoing feats may be possible. I'm also open to other ideas. I also have to be an elf and I cannot redo the 4 levels I have gotten now.

Thanks in advance.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-16, 10:59 AM
If you swapped to human or half elf (:smallyuk:) then you can but you can't. You can have as many prestige classes as you like.

Maybe take 2 levels of ranger and be Wood Elf.

Swooper
2007-09-16, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure prestige classes don't give you an experience penalty. (Don't care enough to know, XP penalty for multiclassing is a stupid rule anyway) Other than that, I hear OotBI is a trap.

RTGoodman
2007-09-16, 11:55 AM
I've never played an Archer-type character, but I seem to remember the Cragtop Archer from Races of Stone being a pretty cool-sounding PrC. Here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/prestige2.pl?Cragtop_Archer) is the info about it from RealmsHelp.

Falrin
2007-09-16, 12:16 PM
What about a Ranger/Rogue?

I would trade Track, Good skills, 2 saves & Wild empathy for that extra 1hp & feat.

If you feel like keeping your Sneak up Nightson Enforcer might be nice. Full BaB, +1d6/3 LvLs and good skills make for a decent trapfinder/archer/stealth.

If you want to keep up the feats you can get 3 Rogue/4 Fighter/# Nighstong Enforcer.

Feats:
1 Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot
3 Rapid Shot
4 Precise Shot
6 ManyShot
7 Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot)
12 Improved Precise Shot

If you want to get Weapon Specialization this might be worth it. Raining down arrows really benefit from that +2 damage.

Weird Enough Power Attack might be a decent Back-Up plan. Get a Two Handed Weapon and smash your way out if you get in melee.

Iron will to get that Pathetic Will Save up. If you take the Ranger route up to 3th LvL you get endurance so steadfast Determination would be a nice extra.

Improved rapid shot. Dropping the -2 on rapid shot is nice, but when you'll be sneaking you'll probably gor for Greater Manyshot.

JackMage666
2007-09-16, 12:21 PM
There is, I believe, in Dungeonscape, and alternative class feature that gives Rangers trapfinding for the cost of Track and Swift Tacker. They also get Disable Device. It's worth looking into, as a Ranger with Trapfinding is ALOT better than a Fighter/Rogue.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-16, 12:36 PM
Another possible suggestion would be to be a Ranger/Scout and grab the Swift Hunter feat from Complete Scoundrel. Scout takes care of the trapfinding and both classes allow a focus on archery. Just pick wood elf for your race.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-09-17, 12:15 AM
You need +5 BAB and Bow Feats to PRC into Order of the Bow Initiate and want Trapfinding so:

Rogue -2 for the most skillpoints and getting Evasion, Trapfinding and Sneak Attack along with that other +1 BAB you need to qualify for the PRC

Clericist - 1 with the Elf Domain for Point Blank shot with some limited spellcasting options and another domain maybe War for Corelleon who has the Long Sword as a Favored Weapon and gets you Weapon Focus with the Long Sword.

If you didn't want trap finding I'd leave out Rogue and just take the two cleric levels for a little spell casting and the domain benefits.

Ranger - 2 and taking Archery for Rapid Shot.

F - 2.

You can even mix up acquiring the levels like Rogue -1, Clericist - 1, Ranger - 1, F - 1, Second Rogue level, Second Ranger level, Second F level.

PRCing.

P.S. something to consider. Since your DM is letting your PC take the Adaptive Learning feat will he let you spend a feat to acquire Trapfinding?

Then Clericist - 2, Ranger - 2, F - 2 would qualify you into the PRC

or

Ranger - 2 (Initial skill points), Cleric - 3, F - 1 would also work with a few less skill points but that big initial 6 times multiplier at level 1 and a few level one and two divine spells including reading scrolls. You would only take the experience point penalty with the single level of Fighter since it doesn't apply to PRCs.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-17, 12:40 AM
Here's another idea. Not neccessarily a Good idea, but an idea none-the-less:
Rogue 1/Cleric-With-Animal-and-Elf-Domains 2/Fighter 2/Prestige Ranger 15
You have to blow a feat on Track, but there're no multiclass penalties anywhere and you get a bunch of bonus feats (well... three at least) and a bit of Cleric Buffing/Healing (if that's your thing).

Shinkoro
2007-09-17, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, I'm going to think on it some more, have about 2 weeks before we play again.

Telonius
2007-09-17, 10:04 AM
Is your Dm allowing the PHB2? "Distracting Attack" (p.55) could be very interesting. This feature trades the Animal Companion for the ability to make an enemy flanked until the next time it's attacked. If you're not tied to the Archery tree, this could be an extremely potent attack combination.

Rogue1/Ranger4/Roguex would be the progression.

Zoraciel Ivtel
2007-09-17, 03:09 PM
Not actually being helpful but just commenting: I'm playing a fighter/rogue elf right now, but have taken it a completely opposite direction. Its amazing the variety you can have in this game. In any case, you may want to do ranger instead of fighter if you want to lean towards archery, since you do get the rapid shot feat free at second level. Then again, I've never played a ranger.

Yeah, not being very helpful, am I?:smallfrown:

Runolfr
2007-09-17, 03:45 PM
Now heres my biggest issue: Is there any way to escape the exp penalty? I'm also open to suggestions as far as character direction. Redoing feats may be possible. I'm also open to other ideas. I also have to be an elf and I cannot redo the 4 levels I have gotten now.

Strictly speaking, no, you can't avoid the XP penalty with that build. As soon as your fighter and rogue levels differ by two or more, you're subject to the penalty (silly though I think the "favored class" rule is). To avoid a penalty, you have to keep fighter and rogue from being more than a level apart.

As others have noted, PrCs don't count when determining whether you're subject to an XP penalty, so you could just try to stick with full BAB prestige classes going forward.

Or, you could ask your DM to waive the "favored class" rule, which would eliminate the problem entirely (effectively treating all races as Human for determining favored class -- meaning you can't get an XP penalty with less than three main classes).