PDA

View Full Version : Assuming you want darkvision on a race without

ZorroGames
2018-09-24, 06:56 AM
Newbie asked me how a VHumsn could get dark vision from a class (spells run out and items can get lost/taken was the reasoning.). Ranger Gloom Stalker came to mind but it is an interesting question so rather than search all the books and miss some method I will first ask here since I will be AFB most of this week.

Millstone85
2018-09-24, 07:03 AM
The warlock invocation Devil's Sight is a strange form of darkvision.

Instead of treating dim light as bright light and darkness as dim light, it treats dim light as dim light and darkness as bright light.

Legendairy
2018-09-24, 07:07 AM
I also believe shadow sorcerers get it, also the eberron racial stuff gives darkvision but I don’t recall if any of the marks that give darkvision at in fact for humans (also not REALLY a Vhuman).

Theodoxus
2018-09-24, 07:20 AM
Yup

1st Level: Shadow Sorcerer, 120' (can burn a sorcery point starting at 2nd to see through your own magical darkness)
2nd Level: Warlock invocation Devil's Sight, 120' - automatically sees through magical darkness.
3rd Level: Gloomstalker Ranger, 60' (+30' if you're a race with Darkvision); added benefit, you're invisible to others with Darkvision (basically you have a poor mans Devil Sight/Darkness combo always on).

Feat: Stalker. Not really Darkvision, but figured I'd throw it out there. It removes the disadvantage to perception (sight) checks in Dim Light. Still can't see in full on dark, but it stacks with Darkvision (which makes true dark Dim) - Light levels are generally handwaved (or ignored through ignorance) because most people (including DMs) don't understand the interplay between perception and the different types of light and vision.

In white room discussions, Darkvision is perceived (no pun intended) as a very important thing. In actual play, it rarely matters - and usually Sunlight Sensitivity comes up more often than how often you're in Dim or Dark areas...

nickl_2000
2018-09-24, 07:23 AM
Yup, compiling what others have said.

Gloomstalker Ranger (XGE) - Level 3
Warlock Invocation (PHB) - Level 2 min
Shadow Sorc (XGE) - Level 1
Magic Initiate - Light Cantrip (not darkvision, but at will light so it's something)
Mark of Finding (p 97 WGtE) - Human Racial replacement

nickl_2000
2018-09-24, 07:25 AM
In white room discussions, Darkvision is perceived (no pun intended) as a very important thing. In actual play, it rarely matters - and usually Sunlight Sensitivity comes up more often than how often you're in Dim or Dark areas...

This really depends on the campaign and the party. a few years back party where we all had at least +7 to stealth (dex paladin, halfling shadow monk, bard/sorc, hunter ranger), in this party we spent resources to be able to see in the dark and used it to major advantage.

Keravath
2018-09-24, 07:52 AM
In addition,

Shadow monk can cast Darkvision for 2 ki.
Druids, wizards and sorcerers also get Darkvision as a second level spell.
10th level divination wizard - Third Eye - can grant Darkvision
6th level transmutation wizard - Trasmuter's Stone - can grant Darkvision

-------------------------

In terms of usefulness ... it can vary a lot but I've found Darkvision or Devil's sight to be very useful for a lot of characters in many situations. If you can see in the dark and your opponents can't you have a major advantage. Similarly, if you are forced into dark places where you can't see well and other creatures can you are at a significant disadvantage.

Exploring a dungeon without darkvision is like painting a giant target marker on your party with the torches/lanterns and other light sources advertising exactly where you are. You can be clearly seen from much farther away than you can see. If you have to cross a large cavern you are a clear target out in the middle where you are attacked with advantage and can only return fire with disadvantage. In addition, the opponents can potentially see you from hundreds of feet away. This is also true outdoors at night.

Perhaps your DM only has outdoor daytime encounters or all subterranean and indoor areas are well lit ... but that is far from the norm at least in my play experience.

Sigreid
2018-09-24, 10:04 AM
Goggles of night, or whatever they are called.

Millstone85
2018-09-24, 10:13 AM
Goggles of night, or whatever they are called.That's the correct name.

Legendairy
2018-09-24, 12:55 PM
The OP specified the player doesn’t want spells nor does he want an item I believe. “Spells run out, items can be taken”. Not nit picking just clarifying.

stoutstien
2018-09-24, 01:02 PM
Don't over look one of the best feats in the game with skulker. It not dv but depending on dm dim light will be a common occurrence. Plus hiding while only lightly obscured (reads dim light) gets you a non magical way of being sneaky.

ad_hoc
2018-09-24, 01:04 PM
Exploring a dungeon without darkvision is like painting a giant target marker on your party with the torches/lanterns and other light sources advertising exactly where you are. You can be clearly seen from much farther away than you can see. If you have to cross a large cavern you are a clear target out in the middle where you are attacked with advantage and can only return fire with disadvantage. In addition, the opponents can potentially see you from hundreds of feet away. This is also true outdoors at night.

The monsters who live in that darkness will have no trouble detecting your party though, while the party will have a hard time seeing the monsters.

Sigreid
2018-09-24, 01:05 PM
Don't over look one of the best feats in the game with skulker. It not dv but depending on dm dim light will be a common occurrence. Plus hiding while only lightly obscured (reads dim light) gets you a non magical way of being sneaky.

A warlock with devil's sight and skulker would pretty much never be affected by lighting, baring blinding light.

Legendairy
2018-09-24, 02:05 PM
Also...a bit of a stretch possibly but boons/epic boons, you could give them darkvision?

Sigreid
2018-09-24, 06:48 PM
Also...a bit of a stretch possibly but boons/epic boons, you could give them darkvision?

Does the eye of Vecna give darkvision?

That does bring up the lich ritual.

Legendairy
2018-09-24, 06:52 PM
Does the eye of Vecna give darkvision?

That does bring up the lich ritual.

Not just, but it comes with a slew of other goodies!

Sigreid
2018-09-24, 06:56 PM
I would expect wish to be able to grant it. With the standard risk to the caster.

Daithi
2018-09-24, 07:10 PM
The UA Mystic is another option. At first level it can take Mastery of Darkness and Light where its focus is the ability to see in both magical and natural darkness. This is pretty powerful, because it doesn't even require spending psi points to use. You just get the power and can get it for just taking 1 level of Mystic, which gives you more stuff to boot.

There is also a magic item called Goggles of Night that grants dark vision.

Kane0
2018-09-24, 07:23 PM
Tack it onto the Dungeon Delver feat?