PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Words - Do I notice it?

Baldin
2018-09-24, 08:11 AM
Hi there,

So in our campaign the bard in our party used cutting words on one of our other players. Question now is, do you notice him using this ability?

Cheers
Baldin

nickl_2000
2018-09-24, 08:14 AM
My quick answer is Yes.

According to cutting words "The creature is immune if it can't hear you or if it's immune to being charmed." So there is basically a magical charm effect on the person, which the person who is affected by it knows about unless the spell/ability states otherwise (see glamour bard Enthralling Performance)

sophontteks
2018-09-24, 08:30 AM
Enthralling performance says otherwise because its a behavior very different from charm person (which explicitly states the opposite, after the effect wears off.) You don't notice a charm effect, or the charm wouldn't really work. You know "Hey you charmed me." Seems counterproductive.

But cutting words requires them to hear you. I mean you are literally insulting them and those words actually cause physical pain. They can put one and one together here. Yeah, they notice.

Baldin
2018-09-24, 08:36 AM
In this situation there were two players trying to convince a group of NPC's to side with them in a argument.

the first player (a warlock) rolled for his persuasion and the bard used cutting words on him. The bard himself is also trying to convince the group to side with him.

So in this battle of persuasion would the warlock know the bard is intervening with his abilities?
The bard used cutting words several times.

Callak_Remier
2018-09-24, 08:41 AM
Yes he would know

sophontteks
2018-09-24, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry I mistook cutting words for the cantrip viscious mockey. This is much, much less clear. But I still think the bard is actively insulting the enemy to reduce these rolls, so probably noticable by everyone.

"Also at 3rd level, you learn how to use your wit to distract, confuse, and otherwise sap the confidence and competence of others."
If a player can satisfy this without being noticable, then by all means. But its on them to roleplay how they are pulling this off.

EggKookoo
2018-09-24, 11:13 AM
So in our campaign the bard in our party used cutting words on one of our other players. Question now is, do you notice him using this ability?

If you're asking for an opinion, then I'd say, strictly speaking, no. Mainly because none of the PCs are aware of a game-mechanic ability as such. Cutting Words isn't magical, so use of it wouldn't emit any particular aura.

If you're asking if you notice that he's speaking/insulting and such, then of course you do, otherwise it wouldn't work. But it's not like you think he's using some special power. He's just talking.

Keravath
2018-09-24, 11:23 AM
The warlock would notice the bard saying things that are distracting, confusing and undercutting his line of argument. This is something the bard is good and is able to use from time time to reduce the effect of an enemy attack or some task an opponent is trying to perform. (Similarly, a bard can help his friends if he is so inclined - bardic inspiration).

Mechanically, the warlock CHARACTER doesn't even know what "cutting words" is ... however, the warlock WOULD know that the bard is actively arguing against him and making his case less effective. BUT, if the two PCs are trying to convince an NPC group of two different courses of action ... it isn't surprising that the bard would be arguing against him so I don't think he'd notice anymore than the bard being his usual convincing self which involves making his case and making it as difficult as possible for the other party to make their case.

Erys
2018-09-24, 01:42 PM
In this situation there were two players trying to convince a group of NPC's to side with them in a argument.

the first player (a warlock) rolled for his persuasion and the bard used cutting words on him. The bard himself is also trying to convince the group to side with him.

So in this battle of persuasion would the warlock know the bard is intervening with his abilities?
The bard used cutting words several times.

I share the common sentiment.

The warlock would not know the bard is using a bardic ability, per se; but it would be painfully obvious the bard is actively working against his efforts to elicit aid for the NPC's.

Which, ultimately, should have about the same affect as knowing the ability being used. The warlock has every right to be miffed at the bard for being a douche.

Millface
2018-09-24, 02:14 PM
Another vote for basically, yes.

Class abilities can be magical/supernatural or natural. Action Surge, for example, isn't a magical ability, it's a trained burst of motion. Cutting Words, following that example, isn't necessarily a magical application (really up to you, it's fluff), but instead uses the Bard's wit and wordplay to undermine what someone is trying to accomplish.

In character this would translate 100% to the Warlock trying to make an argument and the Bard cutting in with jibes and/or insults to the Warlock and his or her argument.

Warlock: "Please, hear me---"
Bard, under his breath but audible: "if you can get past the breath" *waves hand in front of nose*
Warlock: "It is imperative that--"
Bard: "You bathe once in a while, we're aware, are you?"

Cheesy example but that's pretty much how that goes in RP. The warlock knows he's being undermined the same way he'd know the fighter was taking him seriously if he used action surge in a sparring match. He wouldn't know "You use Action Surge" but he would know you're using your training against him.

Baldin
2018-09-25, 01:27 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies! We indeed played it the way most people here indicate. The Warlock notices the Bard undermining him and insulting him, but not that a supernatural ability was used.

Malifice
2018-09-25, 02:30 AM
The bard basically says something snarky, cutting, witty and distracting.

Its noticable.

Asmotherion
2018-09-25, 03:52 AM
Warlock would notice the Bard activelly paraphrasing his statement or insulting him to make him look bad. He would not notice any magical interferance however, since it does not involve magic directly, rather than backround magic, similar to ki.

Nothing involving Inspiration is directly magical, and thus works in an antimagic zone for example, according to RAW.

In effect, what's observable is that the bard is just better at raising (or diminishing) a point in an arguement, and overall has good debate skills.