PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation

CMOTDibbler
2007-09-16, 10:48 AM
I've seen some comments about name pronunciation and I'd like to clear things up. My name is actually Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler, the hot dog salesman of Anhk-Morpork.

Om
2007-09-16, 10:49 AM
That's what you get for not capitalising.

Trog
2007-09-16, 11:27 AM
Trog's name is spelled "Trog" but it's pronounced "Throat Wobbler Mangrove"

*goes to find his luxury yacht*

blackout
2007-09-16, 11:34 AM
My name's actually pronounced 'blockout' rather than blackout.

Sir_Norbert
2007-09-16, 11:35 AM
My name is pronounced [nOr\b@r\t]; the "Sir" and the underscore are silent.

It isn't actually my name either. Never mind.

FdL
2007-09-16, 12:09 PM
Ef-Dee-El in english and Efe-De-Ele for those among you who speak spanish. That was easy :)

Midnight Son
2007-09-16, 12:43 PM
Following the theme this thread has adopted, I'm Noon Moon.:smallcool:

Castaras
2007-09-16, 12:55 PM
I actually have a name that isn't often pronounced properly! :smallbiggrin:

Cass-taaah-ass.

Or something like that. Not that good with pronunciation and such...Probably won't be able to pronounce "Pronounciation" right! :smalltongue:

Catch
2007-09-16, 01:12 PM
Mine's real hard.

eidreff
2007-09-16, 01:14 PM
My name should rightly be pronounced

Skwer tee Mac throt ack wobb ul

Micate
2007-09-16, 01:17 PM
I normally pronounce my name my-kate, although I don't mind being called mih-kate. Oh, and that's 2 sylables. It is definitely not mih-ka-te. That one, I do mind being called. It just sounds .... wierd.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-16, 01:26 PM
Kay-La-Roff

Not that hard...

unstattedCommoner
2007-09-16, 01:27 PM
Mine is pronounced "Sir".

Space-Is-Curved
2007-09-16, 01:37 PM
spAs-is-kurvd

I know, it's tricky.

Dr._Weird
2007-09-16, 01:41 PM
I like to just let people decide for themselves. The name is what you make of it.

(Ahh, so THIS is how Will Wright feels!)

Om
2007-09-16, 01:54 PM
(Ahh, so THIS is how Will Wright feels!)Not unless people are throwing money at you.

LCR
2007-09-16, 01:56 PM
If you know the alphabet, you can pronounce my name.
If not, you're probably illiterate and don't know anything about fora or the internet in general.

Catch
2007-09-16, 02:17 PM
Not unless people are throwing money at you.

Oh, I chuckled. Have a cookie.

http://www.cookiemadness.net/oreo%20chunk%20cookie%20for%20blog.jpg

Mr. Moon
2007-09-16, 02:20 PM
It's pronounced "Sun Shouted", duh.

evisiron
2007-09-16, 02:29 PM
EE-vis-I-ron

As into eviscerate. Yeah, its a bit odd with the spelling.

Ichneumon
2007-09-16, 02:32 PM
Ick'-new-mon, that is it. People spell my name wrong all the time, I think they have problems pronouncing it too.

Scorpina
2007-09-16, 02:38 PM
Score-Pea-Na.

Mind you, that's also pretty phoenetic. Go watch an old Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers episode if you want further clarification.

Exeson
2007-09-16, 02:44 PM
Mine is pronounced "Sir".

My hat goes off to you. Best reply I have seen to this thread so far.

as for me?

X-eson

dish
2007-09-16, 03:55 PM
Hmm, 'dish' is actually short for 'dishuiguanyin' pronounced (in a rough approximation of the IPA): /dı:∫weı’gwænjən/.

By the way, does anyone know where I can download a font of the IPA? It would be really useful for my day job.

Sisqui
2007-09-16, 04:41 PM
I pronounce it Sis-Kee NOT Sis-Kwee. I didn't even know people read it like that until I played a SMBG and someone said the name sounded like squishy :smallannoyed:

rubakhin
2007-09-16, 04:53 PM
Roo-BAH-hihn.

The k is more or less silent. The kh in Russian is pretty much the same sound as the ch in Bach. If you can manage it, the R is, of course, rolled with all the weight of the Slavonic soul.

AslanCross
2007-09-16, 04:55 PM
A common mistake in reading my name is that people think it's "Asian." It's "AsLan."

Dihan
2007-09-16, 04:57 PM
Mine is pronounced:

Doo-aye-hav-ay-naym

Or "no" for short.

phoenixineohp
2007-09-16, 05:07 PM
Phoenix/whatever sound you want to try. :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2007-09-16, 05:28 PM
^ For the longest time, my brain couldn't handle that. I caught "phoenix" and "ohp" and the middle bit was lost in translation. Thank got for forum nicknames and "PXP". :smallbiggrin:

Logic
2007-09-16, 05:33 PM

I always read it as Phoenix-ine (as in adding a feminine version to a phoenix) O-H-P.

As for mine:

Lah-jic.

phoenixineohp
2007-09-16, 05:44 PM
I tend to say Pxp, phoenix, phoenix-i-n-e-o-h-p or phoenix-in-e-o-op. It is a little awkward verbally isn't it? :smallconfused:

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-16, 06:06 PM
I pronounce it Sis-Kee NOT Sis-Kwee. I didn't even know people read it like that until I played a SMBG and someone said the name sounded like squishy :smallannoyed:

Reminded me of squishy.
If I wrote sounded I meant reminded.
Sorry if that annoyed you.
I was probably too tired.
If you were talking about me.
My name?

M-Black-Leaf

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. :smalltongue:

Sisqui
2007-09-16, 06:08 PM
Reminded me of squishy.
If I wrote sounded I meant reminded.
Sorry if that annoyed you.
I was probably too tired.
If you were talking about me.
:smalltongue:

Yes, I was talking about you, but the :smallannoyed: was at me :smallbiggrin: It was one of those things where you don't notice something until someone else points it out and then you go "D'oh! How could I miss THAT!" Definitely NOT annoyed at you though :smallsmile:

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-16, 06:13 PM
Yes, I was talking about you, but the :smallannoyed: was at me :smallbiggrin: It was one of those things where you don't notice something until someone else points it out and then you go "D'oh! How could I miss THAT!" Definitely NOT annoyed at you though :smallsmile:

Oh, I get it!

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-09-16, 06:18 PM
My name is not pronounced. It is carved in granite. Or marble, if it's Thursday.

blackfox
2007-09-16, 06:21 PM
Trog's name is spelled "Trog" but it's pronounced "Throat Wobbler Mangrove"

*goes to find his luxury yacht**applauds*

Mine is pronounced 'qxpzrtn-grtkl' because it's a Polish name. :smallyuk:
Or, you could pronounce it like... ya know... 'blackfox.'

BRC
2007-09-16, 06:23 PM
MY name is actually pronounced Bloodyredcommie, but a few years ago I was making a runescape character and I accidently misspelled it, so ever since then its been Bloddyredcommie instead of Bloody

Cyrano
2007-09-16, 07:33 PM
My name has several pronounciations. In my ancestral tongue of Hebrew, it is pronounced in a way similar to "Our Lord God and Master Of The Necropian Abyss", whereas in Swahili, it's not actually a word. In english, however, it is most usually pronounced as Dee-anna Beers.

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 07:50 PM
The shortened form of my name, fit for human tongues has become something to the effect of A rose crafted of emerald. My true name, of course, is for me alone. It would be remiss of me to share it with anyone, true names having so much power. Many have attempted to discover it. Their bones line my lair, and their ghosts serve as my watchmen.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-16, 07:53 PM
The shortened form of my name, fit for human tongues has become something to the effect of A rose crafted of emerald. My true name, of course, is for me alone. It would be remiss of me to share it with anyone, true names having so much power. Many have attempted to discover it. Their bones line my lair, and their ghosts serve as my watchmen.

That reminds me of a part of Eragon, that book about dragons.

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 07:56 PM
That reminds me of a part of Eragon, that book about dragons.

Never read it actually...maybe I should check it out...

Could be they've really written about me. :smallamused:

Volug
2007-09-16, 07:59 PM
I got my name while trying to find a Japanese version of my name (being the nerd i am) except the Hyuga part which i got from my favorite character on my favorite anime.

Masato (Mah-saw-toe) this means "Holy person or Sacred person"

Hyuga (Hue-Gah) Dunno what this means.

my REAL Jap. last name means "Monkey on a crossing bridge"

so my full Jap. name means "Holy/Sacred person with a Monkey on a crossing bridge":smallconfused:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-09-16, 08:00 PM
Gwin ap nudd, if your pronouncing. It means Blessed Night though, i only fouind out recently.

B-Man
2007-09-16, 08:10 PM
It seems that people are having a hard time with mine. It is pronounced BEE Man. :smalltongue:

Yes, it is short for something, but I'm not telling you. If you were to try and pronounce the full name, your tongue would fall out half way through.

...and no, contrary to belief, B-Man is not short for Batman or Bookman... :smallamused:

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 08:36 PM
*gasp*

B-Man isn't short for Bookman? I thought you were an alt! [/sarcastic voice]

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-16, 08:46 PM
It seems that people are having a hard time with mine. It is pronounced BEE Man. :smalltongue:

Yes, it is short for something, but I'm not telling you. If you were to try and pronounce the full name, your tongue would fall out half way through.

...and no, contrary to belief, B-Man is not short for Batman or Bookman... :smallamused:

I thought it was for Bomber Man or something.
Y'know, that little blue guy...

B-Man
2007-09-16, 08:50 PM
*gasp*

B-Man isn't short for Bookman? I thought you were an alt! [/sarcastic voice]
:smallsmile: There was a time when Bookie thought that I was trying to replace him in SMBG. I'm not sure if he still thinks that way. I miss his Wishbone avatar...

I thought it was for Bomber Man or something.
Y'know, that little blue guy...
Ya, I know that guy. Alas, I have not played Bomber Man in all my years of gaming.

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 08:54 PM
Where's Bookman been anyway? I haven't seen him around much lately...Bookboy either for that matter...:smallconfused:

Cyrano
2007-09-16, 08:58 PM
That is a question that could only be answered by the querents themselves, which would render the question moot, non?

Scorpina
2007-09-16, 09:08 PM
They're probably off fighting crime. All of them together. Like a family.

FdL
2007-09-17, 12:09 AM

Phoenix - [een] - then you lose me :) The "ine" part I learned only recently.

In english, however, it is most usually pronounced as Dee-anna Beers.

Haven't ever seen the series, but wouldn't it be pronounced like "Danna"? (or am I mixing up languages again and that would be in spanish?)

Skippy
2007-09-17, 12:14 AM
Ya, I know that guy. Alas, I have not played Bomber Man in all my years of gaming.

You don't know what you're missing.

My name is pronounced "Radical Skippy", but some people calls me just "Skippy" or even "Skip". Any way is OK with me. Some other guys call me "God" or something to the same effect. Poor mortals...

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 12:29 AM
People actually mispronounce my name.

It's not The-s, like the plural article.

It has a more A sound in the e. But me being un-hooked from phonics have no idea how to convey that in type.

FdL
2007-09-17, 12:34 AM

It has a more A sound in the e. But me being un-hooked from phonics have no idea how to convey that in type.

More like the a on "mad" or the "a" on "park"?
Or if you're familiar with the concept, a more centralized sound? (closer to the weak vowel in english, also called "schwa")

tannish2
2007-09-17, 12:43 AM
Following the theme this thread has adopted, I'm Noon Moon.:smallcool:

actually it would be noon grandmother from the spelling...

Edea
2007-09-17, 01:20 AM
Hmm, not sure. I get a different mental perception of how to pronounce mine depending on my mood when I log on.

Sir_Norbert
2007-09-17, 01:54 PM

Oh. I always pronounced Thes like [TEs] (that's X-SAMPA); in other words, with the same "e" sound as in "red".

Midnight Son
2007-09-17, 07:10 PM
actually it would be noon grandmother from the spelling...Noon Grandmother? Noon Grandmother!? Who ever heard of such a silly notion? You are obviously off yer rocker and in need some serious help!

Noon Moon just sounded better...:smallamused:

EmeraldRose
2007-09-17, 07:15 PM

I always hear it in my head as sounding like rhyming with yes.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-17, 07:19 PM
Noon Grandmother? Noon Grandmother!? Who ever heard of such a silly notion? You are obviously off yer rocker and in need some serious help!

Noon Moon just sounded better...:smallamused:

Of course it does... it rhymes.

That's how I hear it, too.

CMOTDibbler
2007-09-17, 07:40 PM
Wow, I didn't think this thread would get more than two pages!

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 07:55 PM

That's it exactly! Yay! *claps her small hands together in glee*

EmeraldRose
2007-09-17, 07:56 PM
YAY! I got it right!! :smallbiggrin:

*dances*

Castaras
2007-09-20, 12:55 PM
Damn...I pronounced it wrong...

Thes. Rhymes with Yes. Not Thees.

Right.

Got that.

*adds to list of pronunciations*