PDA

View Full Version : Grapple Cleric

R.Shackleford
2018-09-24, 10:16 AM
Grappler sucks! I hear many people say. Well, if the grappler feat is broken, perhaps the cleric can heal it.

This isn't about being the best grappler. This is about being a versatile grappler who can help the party in different ways. Side note, my groups allow "climb onto bigger creature" actions to be part of grappling if you target a creature that is too large for grappling.

This will be a level 8 character.

There are two primary feats I want for this build Prodigy and Grappler. Prodigy means that I don't need to MC to get the best feature for anyone using Athletics. Grappler gives me advantage on attacks and being able to restrain a creature will be nice. One creature is now my play thing.

Resilient Con or Warcaster will be nice too but isn't something that is specifically needed. Tavern brawler could work if I want to use improvised weapons (coughShieldcough

There is one spell that I need for this build to be all that it can be... Spiritual weapon is a bonus action non-concentration spell. It is an Attack roll. This combines with the Grappler feat perfectly.

There is one subclass that gives me a bonus action attack. War. What is it good for? Bashing my enemies in the face.

Level options
War Cleric 8
War Cleric 5/Fighter 3
War Cleric 5/Barbarian 3
War Cleric 5/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1
War Cleric 5/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1

Variant Human
AC: heavy armor + shield or just heavy armor

Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 8

Feats: x2 prof Athletics (V Human), Grappler (Lv 4)

Primary use of action: Grapple, restrain the target. Shoving the target prone. Attacking the target.

Uses of Bonus Action: Anything from making an extra attack via war domain, casting a spell, using spiritual weapon after the casting, healing myself with second wind, or goong into a rage.

Spells where I don't need to wiggle my fingers will be nice for when I grapple a creature and then proceed to beat them with a stick or something.

Action Spells
Sacred Flame
Command (No Somatic Components)
Hold Person (magic grappling yay!)
Guiding Bolt
Bless
Bestow Curse
Water Walk
Blindness/Deafness (No Somatic Components)

Bonus Action Spells
Spiritual Weapon
Healing Word (No Somatic Components)
Mass Healing Word (No Somatic Components)
Shield of Faith
Sanctuary

With this charactet I can target AC, Strength/Dex check, Dex saves, Con saves, or Wis saves. Taking a hit here or there won't matter much. I'm actually thinking of switching the war cleric with life or even light.

====

Tempest Cleric 8

Variant Human

Feats: x2 prof Athletics (V Human), Grappler (Lv 4), Sentinel (Lv. 8)

This one has better use for reaction, to punish those that try to hurt their captor.

Might lower Wis to boost Str and make it a less spell casting cleric. Just use those bonus actions to support and just beat things with a stick.

Light Cleric 8

Variant Human
AC: medium armor + shield

Dex: 12
Int: 10

Feats: x2 prof Athletics (V Human), Grappler (Lv 4), +2 Wis (8) for 18 Wis

This one is about grab and fry. High risk and high reward. Pin the target and just start spamming dex save spells. Sacred Flame is a good at-will option with Light cleric.

Light Cleric 5/Barbarian (Bear Totem) 3

Variant Human

This one is about grab and pummel when you want to save HP or not cast spells. Some creatures are strong against Dex saves so it wouldn't be smart to waste spells.

Rage saves some HP.

nickl_2000
2018-09-24, 10:19 AM
Hey, don't forget the second level spell Enhance Ability. For a grappler getting advantage on strength checks (and expertise ) and double carrying capacity is a great combination.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-24, 01:53 PM
Hey, don't forget the second level spell Enhance Ability. For a grappler getting advantage on strength checks (and expertise ) and double carrying capacity is a great combination.

Hot dang, I forgot to add that!

Advantage on strength checks is why I was thinking Barbarian... Rage might be the better way to go as it would essentially give me two or three "spell slots" to gain advantage on Str checks and I can use my spell slots for something else. Also, I wouldn't need to sort about Con checks. Barbarian also gives me Bear Totem if I go 3 levels, concentration checks are based on damage taken... This would mean I don't need to grab a concentration boosting feat.

I think I will keep Enhance Ability in the back pocket and just go Cleric/Barbarian.

Though, I don't get a lot else from Barbarian... Maybe I just won't multiclass at all.

Sentinel would be a great addition to Prodigy and Grappler...

I'll think about it! Thanks!

GlenSmash!
2018-09-24, 02:56 PM
The nice thing about Grappler is that it lets you have advantage without giving your Ranged allies disadvantage (which shoving prone does). The bad part is that restraining a creature restrains you too, and it's a rough condition of have on you.

Even if I had the Grappler feat, I don't know if I'd ever use the second bullet point of it.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-24, 03:06 PM
Advantage on strength checks is why I was thinking Barbarian... Rage might be the better way to go as it would essentially give me two or three "spell slots" to gain advantage on Str checks and I can use my spell slots for something else. Also, I wouldn't need to sort about Con checks. Barbarian also gives me Bear Totem if I go 3 levels, concentration checks are based on damage taken... This would mean I don't need to grab a concentration boosting feat.

You also can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging.

CTurbo
2018-09-24, 09:17 PM
I don't like the Grappler feat at all and don't think I would ever consider taking it for any reason. Tavern Brawler is much better for grappling IMO.

But I guess a Cleric that grapples and spams Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians is probably best case scenario for the Grappler feat since you dont really NEED your hands for anything once those 2 spells are up.

Prodigy is good though.

But yes a Cleric that focuses on grappling can be a terror with that spell combination. I would probably pick Tempest for the extra reaction damage and ability to max thunder and lightning damage.

No brains
2018-09-24, 09:28 PM
Be aware that even in instances where it strains credulity, Spiritual Weapon is still you making an attack roll. That means if you restrain a target with the Grappler feat pin, you will take disadvantage on your attack roll.

This will be irrelevant when you attack the pinned target since you will be advantage neutral, but it keeps you from taking advantage of Spiritual Weapon's range and mobility against other targets when the need arises.

Spiritual Weapon is a weird one. It can also revel you location if you cast it, hide, and then use a BA to make a disembodied attack that doesn't require any sounds. It might be worth asking your DM about this corner case between a summon and ranged attack.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-24, 10:30 PM
You also can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging.

If I have Enahnce Ability on, which isn't quite as good as Rage, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on a diffetent spell anyways.

Also, while raging I would just beat the creature to death with whatever is in my other hand. The resistance to damage would help with concentration checks.

I don't like the Grappler feat at all and don't think I would ever consider taking it for any reason. Tavern Brawler is much better for grappling IMO.

But I guess a Cleric that grapples and spams Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians is probably best case scenario for the Grappler feat since you dont really NEED your hands for anything once those 2 spells are up.

Prodigy is good though.

But yes a Cleric that focuses on grappling can be a terror with that spell combination. I would probably pick Tempest for the extra reaction damage and ability to max thunder and lightning damage.

Tavern Brawler is better at initiating a grapple. Grappler gives you advantage on attacks against said grappled enemy. Honestly, those two parts of those feats should be coupled with the pin part of the grapple feat for a true grappled focused feat.

Tempest would give me the best of both worlds between War and Light.

Edit: With this build I have plenty to do with my bonus action that not having a bonus action grapple is fine. Spiritual Weapon is a bonus action so using my action to grapple is fine as I can then attack with advantage with my spiritual weapon.

Action: Grapple
Bonus Action: Spiritual Weapon

Next turn

Action: Attack/Spell
Bonus Action: Spiritual Weapon Attack

Be aware that even in instances where it strains credulity, Spiritual Weapon is still you making an attack roll. That means if you restrain a target with the Grappler feat pin, you will take disadvantage on your attack roll.

This will be irrelevant when you attack the pinned target since you will be advantage neutral, but it keeps you from taking advantage of Spiritual Weapon's range and mobility against other targets when the need arises.

Spiritual Weapon is a weird one. It can also revel you location if you cast it, hide, and then use a BA to make a disembodied attack that doesn't require any sounds. It might be worth asking your DM about this corner case between a summon and ranged attack.

It's a wash.

Grapple feat gives you advantage on attacks against a foe you have grappled. The only way to have a creature pinned, is to be grappling them as the pin ends when you stop grappling them.

So the target has disadvantage, but I would roll normal with no advantage or disadvantage. Hell, I could later be struck death and blind and still roll normally on attacks.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-24, 10:39 PM
It's a wash.

Grapple feat gives you advantage on attacks against a foe you have grappled. The only way to have a creature pinned, is to be grappling them as the pin ends when you stop grappling them.

So the target has disadvantage, but I would roll normal with no advantage or disadvantage. Hell, I could later be struck death and blind and still roll normally on attacks.

But his buddies shooting arrows at you? They have Advantage. That dragon just breath fire at you? Disadvantage on the Dex save. Being restrained yourself is just to great a cost for most combat encounters for the second bullet Point of Grappler to be worthwhile IMHO.

I can Grapple and Shove Prone and the worst thing that happens is my ranged attacking allies have disadvantage unless they move up to within 5ft of the target. But honestly I'd rather they be dealing with the weaker foes while I shutout my target anyway.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-24, 11:17 PM
But his buddies shooting arrows at you? They have Advantage. That dragon just breath fire at you? Disadvantage on the Dex save. Being restrained yourself is just to great a cost for most combat encounters for the second bullet Point of Grappler to be worthwhile IMHO.

I can Grapple and Shove Prone and the worst thing that happens is my ranged attacking allies have disadvantage unless they move up to within 5ft of the target. But honestly I'd rather they be dealing with the weaker foes while I shutout my target anyway.

If they're shooting me, they aren't shooting my allies who are about to get up to them and utterly destroy them. Also, I could easily find some cover. I could also shove my target prone and then drop prone with them and then stand up whenever a creature gets too close... Crap happens and there's always an answer.

Another answer would be fog cloud.

Again, let the dragon target me and not the cluster of allies about to put pointy sticks into it. I can heal myself well enough to outlive pretty much anything being ganged up on by my allies.

Also, if every enemy drops everything to target me... Awesome! I don't have to waste spell slots on multiple allies and only have to heal myself.

Also the Dodge Action is a thing. I can continue to beat down my grappled enemy with Spiritual Weapon and take the Dodge Action if I'm having issues with enemies coming along and butting into the private affair. Dodge gives attackers disadvantage and I get advantage on dexterity saves... It's a wash at that point. But being a cleric means I still get to attack my grappled target (with advantage).

Some rounds I might not dodge, I might cast a spell or attack or whatever, but if things get sketchy I can totally dodge.

Also, if I keep my grappled target between me and my enemies, I have +2 bonus to AC/Dex Saves thanks to the cover rules.

"A target with half cover has a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws. A target has half cover if an obstacle blocks at least half of its body. The obstacle might be a low wall, a large piece of furniture, a narrow tree trunk, or a creature, whether that creature is an enemy or a friend. "

CTurbo
2018-09-24, 11:57 PM
Yep you never want to be restrained. Grapple up to 2 enemies while keeping your mobility is what you want. Use them as meat shields, or drag them into/off of things.

Corran
2018-09-25, 01:12 AM
Try to get you hands on some potions of growth. The best grappling tales are those about grappling BIG enemies, or so I hear. But you probably had that in mind already. Enlarge is trickier to get access to, especially since you are thinking of a barbarian dip for advantage on str checks when raging.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-25, 08:19 AM
Try to get you hands on some potions of growth. The best grappling tales are those about grappling BIG enemies, or so I hear. But you probably had that in mind already. Enlarge is trickier to get access to, especially since you are thinking of a barbarian dip for advantage on str checks when raging.

We use the "Climb Onto Bigger Creature" rules in place of grapples when the target is too big. Some things that works for grapples, say advantage on attacks, works on the creatire being climbed on.

Pinning doesn't work, nor does dropping their speed, but you get to stick with them amd get the "I got this... Oh crap" type moments.

My groups don't really touch magic items all that much.

Yep you never want to be restrained. Grapple up to 2 enemies while keeping your mobility is what you want. Use them as meat shields, or drag them into/off of things.

Normally you would be correct. However, a Cleric can just use the Dodge Action and then use their bonus action as a means to attack/support.

Against yourself you no one gets advantage or disadvantage and with you against your grappled target, you have neither advantage or disadvantage.

However your target, unless they dodge too, gives advantage to your allies or has disadvantage on dex saves. The target would also have disadvantage on dex saves against the cleric spells for when I don't use dodge.

Side Note: if a dragon targets me with a breath weapon, like said earlier, the dragon's ally would probably get hit too.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-25, 11:31 AM
If I have Enahnce Ability on, which isn't quite as good as Rage, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on a diffetent spell anyways.

Also, while raging I would just beat the creature to death with whatever is in my other hand. The resistance to damage would help with concentration checks.

What concentration checks? The whole point is that if you have the resistance from rage, you can't concentrate on anything anyway.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-25, 01:29 PM
What concentration checks? The whole point is that if you have the resistance from rage, you can't concentrate on anything anyway.

Sorry lol

I was thinking one thing and typed another.

Rage allows me to not have to worry about concentration checks that I would have to do with Enhance Ability. Also, it would save me some HP and thus spell slots on cure wounds or hit dice during a short rest.

On a Light Cleric, I think Rage is even better as their AC will be a little lower than the heavy armor clerics.

Citan
2018-09-25, 05:44 PM
Grappler sucks! I hear many people say. Well, if the grappler feat is broken, perhaps the cleric can heal it.

This isn't about being the best grappler. This is about being a versatile grappler who can help the party in different ways. Side note, my groups allow "climb onto bigger creature" actions to be part of grappling if you target a creature that is too large for grappling.

This will be a level 8 character.

There are two primary feats I want for this build Prodigy and Grappler. Prodigy means that I don't need to MC to get the best feature for anyone using Athletics. Grappler gives me advantage on attacks and being able to restrain a creature will be nice. One creature is now my play thing.

Resilient Con or Warcaster will be nice too but isn't something that is specifically needed. Tavern brawler could work if I want to use improvised weapons (coughShieldcough

There is one spell that I need for this build to be all that it can be... Spiritual weapon is a bonus action non-concentration spell. It is an Attack roll. This combines with the Grappler feat perfectly.

There is one subclass that gives me a bonus action attack. War. What is it good for? Bashing my enemies in the face.

Level options
War Cleric 8
War Cleric 5/Fighter 3
War Cleric 5/Barbarian 3
War Cleric 5/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1
War Cleric 5/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1

Variant Human

Primary use of action: Grapple, restrain the target. Shoving the target prone. Attacking the target.

Uses of Bonus Action: Anything from making an extra attack via war domain, casting a spell, using spiritual weapon after the casting, healing myself with second wind, or goong into a rage.

Spells where I don't need to wiggle my fingers will be nice for when I grapple a creature and then proceed to beat them with a stick or something.

Action Spells
Sacred Flame
Command (No Somatic Components)
Hold Person (magic grappling yay!)
Guiding Bolt
Bless
Bestow Curse
Water Walk
Blindness/Deafness (No Somatic Components)

Bonus Action Spells
Spiritual Weapon
Healing Word (No Somatic Components)
Mass Healing Word (No Somatic Components)
Shield of Faith
Sanctuary

With this charactet I can target AC, Strength/Dex check, Dex saves, Con saves, or Wis saves. Taking a hit here or there won't matter much. I'm actually thinking of switching the war cleric with life or even light.

====

Tempest Cleric 8

Variant Human

Feats: x2 prof Athletics (V Human), Grappler (Lv 4), Sentinel (Lv. 8)

This one has better use for reaction, to punish those that try to hurt their captor.

Might lower Wis to boost Str and make it a less spell casting cleric. Just use those bonus actions to support and just beat things with a stick.

Light Cleric 8

Variant Human

Feats: x2 prof Athletics (V Human), Grappler (Lv 4), +2 Wis (8) for 18 Wis

This one is about grab and fry. High risk and high reward. Pin the target and just start spamming dex save spells. Sacred Flame is a good at-will option with Light cleric.

Light Cleric 5/Barbarian (Bear Totem) 3

Variant Human

This one is about grab and pummel when you want to save HP or not cast spells. Some creatures are strong against Dex saves so it wouldn't be smart to waste spells.

Rage saves some HP.
Hi!
These are good builds but honestly if you want something simpler I'd rather suggest the following:
WIS: Rogue 1 / Nature Cleric 5+ (starting Thorns Whip)
WIS: Rogue 1 / Tempest Cleric 5+ (Magic Initiate Booming Blade)
CHA: Hexblade Warlock 1 / Lore Bard 6
CHA: Rogue 1 / Divine Soul Sorcerer 5
CHA: Swords Bard 10.

Idea here is to get Expertise from class feature instead, as well as Spirit Guardians, all the while keeping enough resilience and concentration to sustain it and keep a good single attack in case of (Thorns Whip, Booming Blade, both with advantage thanks to Grappler).

If you want to really make it stupid, you can go for Extra Attack or Action Surge to grapple two targets at the same time even. ^^
On that note, for WIS builds, Monk are the absolute greatest since you can make unarmed attacks with whatever body party you want (so headbutts are legit). Plus the added movement to drag grappled creatures away from their friends, and the Dodge as bonus action.

And that way your concept is online early enough since you can get Grappler at level 4. That + Expertise + decent STR (12-14) would be enough to make it reliable.

Not saying that Spiritual Weapon is bad of course, it's good, but using it alone is a bit reductive imo, and using it and SG altogether would deplete your resources quickly.
And Spiritual Weapon is one target at a time whatever happens.
For single target, might as well just keep one grappled and smack it normally. :)

R.Shackleford
2018-09-25, 09:02 PM
Hi!
These are good builds but honestly if you want something simpler I'd rather suggest the following:
WIS: Rogue 1 / Nature Cleric 5+ (starting Thorns Whip)
WIS: Rogue 1 / Tempest Cleric 5+ (Magic Initiate Booming Blade)
CHA: Hexblade Warlock 1 / Lore Bard 6
CHA: Rogue 1 / Divine Soul Sorcerer 5
CHA: Swords Bard 10.

Idea here is to get Expertise from class feature instead, as well as Spirit Guardians, all the while keeping enough resilience and concentration to sustain it and keep a good single attack in case of (Thorns Whip, Booming Blade, both with advantage thanks to Grappler).

If you want to really make it stupid, you can go for Extra Attack or Action Surge to grapple two targets at the same time even. ^^
On that note, for WIS builds, Monk are the absolute greatest since you can make unarmed attacks with whatever body party you want (so headbutts are legit). Plus the added movement to drag grappled creatures away from their friends, and the Dodge as bonus action.

And that way your concept is online early enough since you can get Grappler at level 4. That + Expertise + decent STR (12-14) would be enough to make it reliable.

Not saying that Spiritual Weapon is bad of course, it's good, but using it alone is a bit reductive imo, and using it and SG altogether would deplete your resources quickly.
And Spiritual Weapon is one target at a time whatever happens.
For single target, might as well just keep one grappled and smack it normally. :)

I really don't want to multiclass Rogue as I will be spreading myself a bit thinner than necessary.

Prodigy gives me expertise in Athletics, which takes the place of the Rogue class. I really don't want to focus charisma either, mostly for the same reason. Monk is out because of my low dex.

I need a little bit of Strength, some Constitution, and a casting stat. Out of the three casting stats, Wisdom is the best for me.

The grapple cleric comes online at level 1. You can still use your action to grapple better than anyone else, heal yourself (bonus action), and be a really good hindrance to your enemies. Grappler gives you advantage on attacks and the ability to pin, neither really are necessary for the cleric to be a great grappler. You really only need Prodigy for that. The advantage on attacks is really nice though.

Inflict Wounds with advantage is a lot of fun. I absolutely love to crit with that spell.

However, that is a perk, but isn't the core of the build.

I do love the Rogue/Cleric combo and have made many of a character that was exactly this (i fricken miss the avenge from 4e), but for a grapple build I feel there are better options available.

As for taking away Cleric entirely... I prefer the Cleric class to the Bard or Warlock. I do love the Sorcerer but they don't have the spell flexibility that the Cleric does. One day I can have a vastly different plan of attack than the next with the Cleric. Also Clerics are a bit beefier than Sorcerers.

You can grapple with other classes, I just think the best one is the cleric. You get some cool subclass abilities, you get the bonus action spells, you get some non-somatic component spells, and you get Wisdom as a primary stat.

I think any cleric subclass can make a good grapple character. Hell, the Life cleric would be the most annoying grappler ever as you get to drag the enemy around and make them watch you heal your allies and yourself. Some subclasses from other classes don't work as well with grappling.

Though the Paladin is a pretty good candidate for the same sort of grappler as they get pretty sweet saves, bonus action spells, and smite.

Corran
2018-09-25, 09:17 PM
Hmm, you grapple a melee threat, move him away from your more fragile allies, then restrain thanks to the grappler feat. I wonder if sanctuary fits here. Does maintaining a grapple break its restrictions? If not, then it might play well with your grappling tactics against dangerous opponents.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-25, 09:25 PM
Hmm, you grapple a melee threat, move him away from your more fragile allies, then restrain thanks to the grappler feat. I wonder if sanctuary fits here. Does maintaining a grapple break its restrictions? If not, then it might play well with your grappling tactics against dangerous opponents.

"If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends."

Technically, I think maintaining a grapple wouldn't as it isn't an action at all.

However, I would just use the Dodge Action to give disadvantage on attacks and advantage on dex saves instead of using Sanctuary on myself.

Grappling while using the dodge action is just... Hilarious. Sadly you can't restrain and dodge at the same time.

CTurbo
2018-09-25, 09:26 PM
Though the Paladin is a pretty good candidate for the same sort of grappler as they get pretty sweet saves, bonus action spells, and smite.

I played a Grappling Paladin in a one shot. Half-Elf Devotion Paladin with some silly high stats that had Prodigy and Tavern Brawler. I was actually a level 11 Paladin but I had 5 levels or Lore Bard(gestalt) too so I was just a level 11 character. I didn't even carry a weapon. Just grappled and smote with headbutts and stuff lol. The DM let me smite with slams too. I didn't really use any spells except for Viscous Mockery. It's fun to pin your opponent down and Viscous Mockery them lol. I used Cutting Words on their grapple break attempts. It was a pretty ridiculous character that would probably be really difficult to make using actual rules lol Still a lot of fun though.