PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A questions about the Sentinel Feat

dehro
2018-09-24, 04:21 PM
1) the reaction I would get for someone attacking an adiacent ally, does that happen during the enemy's turn?
1.2) does that intercept the attack against my ally and therefore resolves before the attack lands, negating any damage to my ally?
1.3) does it count as an attack of opportunity and therefore reduce the enemy's movement to 0?
1.4) what happens to any other attack the enemy might have?

2) the attack of opportunity that I get from an enemy moving out of my threatened range, does occur in that enemy's turn, correct?
2.1) does that count as a bonus action or reaction? and does it mean I can't have whichever of the two it is when it's my turn?

Am I missing some rules in the handbooks or was this clarified elsewhere? (I only have access to the core books)

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-24, 05:10 PM
Here's some clarification:

For example, the opportunity attack and shield spell are clear about the fact that they can interrupt their triggers. If a reaction has no timing specified, or the timing is unclear, the reaction occurs after its trigger finishes, as in the Ready action.

The (Attack of Opportunity) interrupts the provoking creature's movement, occuring right before the creature leaves your reach. (The emphasis is mine)

It's worth noting that unless it explicitly says an attack is an Attack of Opportunity, it's not. Not even if it takes place during an enemy's turn. Note the difference compared to Sentinel's Reaction attack vs. the special wording on Mage Slayer or Polearm Master.

So to answer your questions in a neat format:

Yes, this does occur during an enemy's turn. Reactions are the only resource you can spend during an enemy's turn (in most situations)
It does not intercept the enemy's attack, it takes place immediately after his attack (after he rolls damage)
This does not count as an Attack of Opportunity, as the feat does not say it is one.
If the enemy has any other attacks and he's still alive, he may still use the remainder of his attacks.
Yes, you get that attack after the enemy attempts to move.
This counts as a Reaction, not a Bonus Action. You spend Reactions generally out of your turn, and you can ONLY spend Bonus Actions during your turn.
You refresh your Reaction, Action, and Bonus Action at the start of your turn. You can use your Reaction and Bonus Action seperately (and most of the time you will).
BONUS: With Sentinel: If an enemy attempts to move out of your reach, you can attack with an Attack of Opportunity (which occurs before they step into the new square), and this will consume your Reaction for the round. If an enemy adjacent to you attacks one of your allies, you can attack that enemy by spending your Reaction for the round, but this is not an Attack of Opportunity.

On #5, this is a unique case. As part of the ruling in the quote I pasted earlier, an Attack of Opportunity is made BEFORE the enemy is able to move. This means that the shear attempt of an enemy moving out of reach is enough of a reason for your Attack of Opportunity to activate, allowing you to hit your enemy. This effectively means that if an enemy tries to move out of reach, and you have Sentinel, and you hit them, even though they tried to move, they didn't (as their speed is now 0), and they're still adjacent to you with 0 movement left.

dehro
2018-09-25, 08:56 AM
I found a thing (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/06/sentinel-triggering-attack-2/)

dehro
2018-09-27, 08:03 AM
another question:

I take my turn and do a thing. next to me is my friend Bill.
Enemy's turn approaches within 5 ft from both of us, and attacks Bill.
This activates my Sentinel feat where I have a reaction and attack the enemy.
Is that reaction part of my previous turn, or a prequel to my next turn? In theory I should get a new reaction when it's my turn, correct?

What if part of the enemy's turn is to try and move out again, which causes an attack of opportunity from me, also in form of reaction... I assume my reaction for that round is spent... can I anticipate the reaction of my next turn to lock his movement down? or is that not a thing?
I would assume it is not, but that means I can only ever use one aspect of the sentinel feat per round... correct?

NaughtyTiger
2018-09-27, 08:20 AM
I found a thing[/URL]

your thing is a twitter discussion between mearls and DM. mearls says all effects of sentinel occur before the attack. so mearls is often wrong, and nearly universally ignored.

nothing in the feat says the sentinel attack occurs before the triggering attack.
usually, a thing happens that triggers a reaction. unless explicitly stated the trigger occurs before the reaction.

Is that reaction part of my previous turn, or a prequel to my next turn[/URL]

start of your turn refreshes reaction. you may use 1 reaction until the start of your next turn. so "part of my previous turn"

What if part of the enemy's turn is to try and move out again

you get 1 reaction per turn. so in this scenario, you use your reaction to retaliate against bill's attacker. you may not take an opportunity attack.

dehro
2018-09-28, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the clarification.
Mearls being ignored
.. Is that a fact? I was under the impression that sage advice was a source for clarification on the rules and that meals was one of the authors of said rules..

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-28, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the clarification.
Mearls being ignored
.. Is that a fact? I was under the impression that sage advice was a source for clarification on the rules and that meals was one of the authors of said rules..

It's not necessarily a fact. Jeremy Crawford (DnD's Lead Designer) has said that Shield Master can use its bonus action to knock someone prone BEFORE the attack, and recently contradicted the prior ruling and said it has to take place AFTER the attack.

People are human, and easily forget stuff. That being said, ask your DM. Officially, most triggers take place AFTER the triggering effect takes place unless they state otherwise. Attacks of Opportunity DO say otherwise (they take place after the movement is desired/stated but before the movement takes place).

Sage Advice is usually correct. If it's not, it's usually corrected in a later Sage Advice. But just because something makes sense to us doesn't mean it makes sense to a DM, so it doesn't really matter what the bigwigs say is fact or not, because their opinions aren't the ones that matter at the table.

I've started getting into a habit of collecting difficult questions that might come up with me, and asking my DM about them before we start so I know what I'm signing up for. You don't want to find out that stealth is unreliable in combat after rolling a Wood Elf Rogue because your DM didn't agree with the developers.

NaughtyTiger
2018-09-28, 12:22 PM
Crawford: I'm the only person who gives official Sage Advice for Dungeons & Dragons. Others give unofficial, often helpful, suggestions. #DnD https://t.co/FnIj8gFqj2

Yeah. Crawford is official ( crap but official)
Mearls is opinion

dehro
2018-09-28, 01:13 PM
It's not necessarily a fact. Jeremy Crawford (DnD's Lead Designer) has said that Shield Master can use its bonus action to knock someone prone BEFORE the attack, and recently contradicted the prior ruling and said it has to take place AFTER the attack.

People are human, and easily forget stuff. That being said, ask your DM. Officially, most triggers take place AFTER the triggering effect takes place unless they state otherwise. Attacks of Opportunity DO say otherwise (they take place after the movement is desired/stated but before the movement takes place).

Sage Advice is usually correct. If it's not, it's usually corrected in a later Sage Advice. But just because something makes sense to us doesn't mean it makes sense to a DM, so it doesn't really matter what the bigwigs say is fact or not, because their opinions aren't the ones that matter at the table.

I've started getting into a habit of collecting difficult questions that might come up with me, and asking my DM about them before we start so I know what I'm signing up for. You don't want to find out that stealth is unreliable in combat after rolling a Wood Elf Rogue because your DM didn't agree with the developers.
My DM agrees with you and contradicts Mearls, in that the damage on the triggering attack is resolved before my reaction. fair enough either way.

Crawford: I'm the only person who gives official Sage Advice for Dungeons & Dragons. Others give unofficial, often helpful, suggestions. #DnD https://t.co/FnIj8gFqj2

Yeah. Crawford is official ( crap but official)
Mearls is opinion

noted.