PDA

View Full Version : Combat Brute - Momentum Swing question: do you attack on the charge?

nexos10
2018-09-24, 05:07 PM
My question is in regards to the first part of this maneuver: "To use this maneuver, you must charge a foe in the first round, and you must make an attack using your Power Attack feat in the second round". As the line says "you must charge a foe...", but it does not specify an attack in the 1st round, just the 2nd.

In the 1st round when I charge, am I able to make an attack OR just take the double-move and not attack?
Is the feat meant to forgo that 1st round attack, so I build momentum into my 2nd round power attack?

Nifft
2018-09-24, 05:09 PM
I think that charging a foe means both moving and making an attack against a foe.

Necroticplague
2018-09-24, 05:26 PM
My question is in regards to the first part of this maneuver: "To use this maneuver, you must charge a foe in the first round, and you must make an attack using your Power Attack feat in the second round". As the line says "you must charge a foe...", but it does not specify an attack in the 1st round, just the 2nd.

In the 1st round when I charge, am I able to make an attack OR just take the double-move and not attack?
Is the feat meant to forgo that 1st round attack, so I build momentum into my 2nd round power attack?

A charge is a specific type of full round action. For the purpose of the feat, whether you attack at the end of the charge is unimportant. As long as you use the charge action, whatever else you do is unimportant.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-09-24, 05:27 PM
The charge action includes an attack or a bull-rush unless otherwise noted. Combat brute doesn't otherwise note so you resolve it as normal.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-09-24, 05:39 PM
A charge is a specific type of full round action. For the purpose of the feat, whether you attack at the end of the charge is unimportant. As long as you use the charge action, whatever else you do is unimportant.
Agreed. You can perform a bull rush/trip/whatever and still get the benefit of Combat Brute.

I'd say that you're entitled to Combat Brute's benefits even if your charge is ruined (e.g. target moves or raises cover), as you still performed the Charge action, even if you have nothing to show for it. On the other hand, if your charge is ruined before you even moved your speed, I'd probably just give you your standard action back (and no Combat Brute benefits). I don't think that's RAW, but I feel that certain immediate-action counters would become too powerful if they stopped an entire full-round action cold (which I think is RAW). It's similar to the rule that says you can decide to stop a full attack after the first hit.