PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan PC

TheCleverGuy
2018-09-24, 05:51 PM
What race/class combo would make the best Vulcan? Pointy ears not necessary, I'm more interested in the adherence to logic and lack of emotions.

They should be able to resist effects like Charm or Fear. Minor telepathy (mind-meld) would be nice. Sort of pacifist, but willing when to fight when logic dictates.

I was thinking a monk of some kind might be the way to go (for unarmed strikes/unarmored AC), maybe with a couple levels of Redemption Paladin or GOO Warlock. A bit MAD, I know. Half-elf race for charm resistance and maybe to shore up stats for multiclassing.

What do you think? Are there any feats or backgrounds that would help?

Garfunion
2018-09-24, 06:01 PM
Forest Gnome I think would be the best.
Mind meld with animals; speak with small beast.
Gnome cunning; allows you to resist magical effects that target the “mental” stats.

RickAsWritten
2018-09-24, 06:09 PM
Githzerai?

+1 INT +2 WIS
Adv. on saves against Charmed and Frightened
Invisible Mage Hand psionics
Cast 1/Long Rest: Shield at 3rd and Detect Thoughts at 5th

Seems fitting.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-24, 06:44 PM
I saw tgis thead and my first thought was a class that was built around wielding a mini-gun.

No brains
2018-09-24, 07:16 PM
I saw tgis thead and my first thought was a class that was built around wielding a mini-gun.

Why not both?

"I am Heavy Weapons Vulcan. And logically, this is my weapon."

TheCleverGuy
2018-09-24, 08:04 PM
Githzerai?

+1 INT +2 WIS
Adv. on saves against Charmed and Frightened
Invisible Mage Hand psionics
Cast 1/Long Rest: Shield at 3rd and Detect Thoughts at 5th

Seems fitting.

I like it! Never really looked into the gith races before. How about class? I still think Monk and Redemption Paladin would make sense. You'd need to take 5 levels in Paladin to get the Calm Emotions spell. And I'm not at all sure which monk subclass is best.

Crgaston
2018-09-24, 10:17 PM
I like it! Never really looked into the gith races before. How about class? I still think Monk and Redemption Paladin would make sense. You'd need to take 5 levels in Paladin to get the Calm Emotions spell. And I'm not at all sure which monk subclass is best.

Definitely Open Hand. That way, even if your Str isn’t all that high you can still throw people around.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-24, 10:34 PM
Why not both?

"I am Heavy Weapons Vulcan. And logically, this is my weapon."

It costs 200,000 GP to fire this weapon for 12 seconds......

*No emotional response after.

Teaguethebean
2018-09-24, 10:53 PM
I assume we all know forge cleric is what you need to choose or if not artificer gunsmith

Dungeon-noob
2018-09-25, 05:54 AM
Didn't Vedalken have the gnome mental defense, +2 int, and a highly logical and detached mindset? Sound fairly Vulcan to me

LudicSavant
2018-09-25, 08:22 AM
They should be able to resist effects like Charm or Fear. Minor telepathy (mind-meld) would be nice. Sort of pacifist, but willing when to fight when logic dictates.

The Kalashtar race gets mind meld (called "Mind Link") and resistance to charm, fear, or indeed anything that requires a Wisdom save. They're also resistant to psychic damage due to their mental discipline.

JackPhoenix
2018-09-25, 11:26 AM
Lizardfolk are emotionless, and their survival-based mindset is pretty logical.