PDA

View Full Version : Helping out: Familiar + Help Action

viaFAMILIAR
2018-09-24, 07:45 PM
I'm using an Owl familiar mainly for granting advantage in combination with "flyby".

My question is: once the help action has been taken, must the "helper" stay adjacent to the target or are they free to move?

Erys
2018-09-24, 07:56 PM
I'm using an Owl familiar mainly for granting advantage in combination with "flyby".

My question is: once the help action has been taken, must the "helper" stay adjacent to the target or are they free to move?

Technically a familiar acts on its own initiative; so to take the Help Action it would have to stay adjacent to the enemy and Ready its Action to Help.

Most DMs don't bother with this, its more book keeping and a general pain in the butt (from my experience at least); if the familiar is allowed to act on your turn in concert with your action, then

The Flyby Feature of the Owl will not only allow it to swoop by and Aid you, he can move out of threat range without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.

Lunali
2018-09-24, 09:54 PM
Technically a familiar acts on its own initiative; so to take the Help Action it would have to stay adjacent to the enemy and Ready its Action to Help.

Most DMs don't bother with this, its more book keeping and a general pain in the butt (from my experience at least); if the familiar is allowed to act on your turn in concert with your action, then the Flyby Feature of the Owl will not only allow it to swoop by and Aid you, he can move out of threat range without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.

The help action doesn't have to be taken at the same time as the attack, it just has to be taken while within 5ft of the target. The familiar can swoop by, use the help action, and fly away, the character then gets advantage on the first attack as long as they attack the target before the familiar's next turn.

Erys
2018-09-24, 10:40 PM
The help action doesn't have to be taken at the same time as the attack, it just has to be taken while within 5ft of the target. The familiar can swoop by, use the help action, and fly away, the character then gets advantage on the first attack as long as they attack the target before the familiar's next turn.

You know, I guess that is true.

My minds eye thinks helping as: I help you move the boulder, we are both pushing on it together. Or, with the owl, it fly's by just as I swing.

But technically since everything is turn base, as long as I take advantage of you helping me in my turn- I gain the benefit.

Good catch. I will edit.