PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Strike with multiple damage types?

Douglas
2007-09-16, 11:33 AM
Is there any way to make unarmed strike deal both bludgeoning and slashing damage at the same time? I'm trying to get both Mighty Wallop (spell from Races of the Dragon) and Snowflake Wardance (feat from Frostburn) to work at the same time. I already know about Versatile Unarmed Strike, but that only allows switching between damage types, not doing two at once. Dragon and Dungeon magazines are not allowed but practically any other WotC 3.5 source is.

PlatinumJester
2007-09-16, 11:35 AM
Is there any way to make unarmed strike deal both bludgeoning and slashing damage at the same time? I'm trying to get both Mighty Wallop (spell from Races of the Dragon) and Snowflake Wardance (feat from Frostburn) to work at the same time. I already know about Versatile Unarmed Strike, but that only allows switching between damage types, not doing two at once. Dragon and Dungeon magazines are not allowed but practically any other WotC 3.5 source is.

Versatile Unarmed Strike from PHB2 lets you change fist damage type to piercing or slashing. Maybe get a spiked gauntlet?

JackMage666
2007-09-16, 12:11 PM
Versatile Unarmed Strike will be your best bet. Sorry.

Think about it, though - Bludgeoning damage reguires blunt trama, coming from a direct direction, while slashing generally comes from an indirect direction. When you hit someone with a club, you whack 'em upside the head, but when you slash someone with a sword, you normally come from an angle opposite of your target area, and pull through.
Bludgeoning and Piercing are alot better synergy than Bludgeoning and Slashing, since slashing is much more indirect in combat. Bludgeoning and Piercing both go for a direct target, is usually in a straight line, and often don't have much follow through.

Raolin_Fenix
2007-09-16, 12:23 PM
I could make a case for an axe dealing bludgeoning and slashing damage. All the weight is focused on the back end (a war-axe was originally intended to take down people in armor), but it's definitely bladed. Hurts someone just as much from the raw impact as it does from the blade.

That being said, by RAW, axes are slashing only. :smallbiggrin:

So yeah. For Unarmed Strike, go with Versatile and add an "unarmed" weapon, like a spiked gauntlet. Or make your own -- a set of bladed brass knuckles, instead of the usual barbed variety. Talk to your DM.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-17, 06:35 AM
Initiate of Draconic Mysteries has Vorpal Keen Slashing Unarmed Strikes. You lose the Vorpal and Keen properties if you switch it to Bludgeoning. Otherwise, it's similar to VUS, it's either one or the other, not both at once.