PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Porting the Mountebank prc from 3 editon to 3.5

Shocksrivers
2018-09-25, 06:36 AM
While scouring old books for fun, I came across the Mountebank prc in Legions of Hell which i think is third edition. I wanted to port it to my 3.5 game, because it seems cool, but I am unfamiliar with 3 ed, so I wanted to know if I am missing anything before porting it.

For example, I get I need to change knowledge (law) to something, presumably Nobility, but do spell levels work the same? Is getting SR 17 an issue, even if it just works on detecting lies etc? Any thoughts?

umbergod
2018-09-25, 07:57 AM
There is a Mountebank prc in the Complete Scoundrel, as well as a base class by the same name in the Dragon Compendium. No need to update it when its been done for you

Shocksrivers
2018-09-25, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I know, but this mountebank is an evil caster that sold his soul to a devil and gains a devil servant. It is not really similar to the mountebank from Complete Scoundrel

umbergod
2018-09-25, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I know, but this mountebank is an evil caster that sold his soul to a devil and gains a devil servant. It is not really similar to the mountebank from Complete Scoundrel

Sounds like a 3rd party prestige class. I believe (could be wrong) there is a conversion guide for updating 3.0 to 3.5

Thurbane
2018-09-25, 06:06 PM
It's usually pretty straightforward to covert 3.0 material to 3.5.

Certain skills being combined, removed or renamed is usually the most common change.

Knowledge (law) isn't an official 1st party skill as far as I'm aware: I'd recommend maybe updating it to Knowledge (local).

I'd recommend taking a look at the various update booklets:
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

Shocksrivers
2018-09-26, 05:29 AM
Thank you all, I was trying to find threads about this PrC, but that is tricky with the 2 different Mountebanks that already exist :)

Thurbane
2018-09-26, 04:49 PM
I'd forgotten actually have a copy of this book at home (I bought a bunch of 3rd party books cheap at the end of their run), and dug it out after work last night. All in all, didn't look at first glance like it needed much converting.

In regards to skills: Alchemy became Craft (alchemy) [and the PrC gets Craft anyway], and Scrying simply isn't a skill any more.

Again, only gave it a glance, but it didn't look like it should be very hard to port to 3.5.

It seems like a decent PrC: full casting progression, a fiendish servant and a bunch of manipulation based abilities.