PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Favourite character done by another player

Tarasque_man
2018-09-25, 09:03 AM
I was having a session my usual group and overall I was enjoying myself, I was playing a retired general and created a large amount of backstory to him which the DM read over and made sure to incorporate into the games and interactions a little bit which was making it overall very fun. This kept going and one character had intrigued me more than any other in the following few games and that was a hill dwarf druid played by my friend who was called Amaro, the dwarf seemed to be forcing happiness and was a alcoholic and I thought these were just character quirks but this session had shown why he acted like this.

Amaro had a rough upbringing and while he did learn druidic magic he did so first out of a feeling of curiosity by it but soon he only learned it to be able to defend himself. He was a heavy drinker and used to be in a old adventuring party with them at one point fighting a battle they might lose but if they combined their efforts they could defeat it...only Amaro wild shaped into a bee and flew away with them losing their main spell caster and healer leading them all to death. This stayed on his subconscious and is what made him have a severe drinking problem. He had a wife and child but soon his drinking was too much and they divorced and while he kept trying to keep in connection with his daughter soon that broke off too. Soon druidic magic and the bottle was the only thing he had left and soon he joined our party out of wanting to redeem himself of his past mistakes but he was still a alcoholic and still had many problems.

The thing that made this work so much is how he played his character in just one session, a tyrant was dealing with losing his own wife and daughter in a similar manner and instead of releasing his anger with the bottle he did so with wanting to be more powerful and controlling entire armies to conquer lands and destroy villages. While most of our characters couldn't understand what he was going through that dwarf walked up, sat down and talked to him about his own problems, there wasn't any magic or fighting all we did was talk with him and after 15 minutes of roleplaying purely on this subject the tyrant had broken down with Amaro simply comforting him and eventually he convinced the tyrant to pull back his armies and stop destroying towns and villages.

I felt this player not only made a very interesting character but he roleplayed him out very well. Does anyone else have a similar story to this where they saw another play a character extremely well? Please don't include your own characters because lets be honest, we have a bias towards our own characters

GunDragon
2018-09-25, 07:01 PM
Why did the dwarf druid turn into a bee and fly away and abandon his friends? Was he afraid?
I think the above story was amazing and I would like to hear more about that world.
Unfortunately, I cannot think of any great roleplaying moments like that one, because all my friends are selfish mean jerks who could never even come close to an incredible roleplaying moment like that.

Tarasque_man
2018-09-26, 02:53 AM
Why did the dwarf druid turn into a bee and fly away and abandon his friends? Was he afraid?
I think the above story was amazing and I would like to hear more about that world.

To note: yeah the dwarf was very afraid and one of his major flaws is that he is a bit of a coward when trying to deal with things and it's also another reason he drinks, cause when he does he is in a state of blissful ignorance