PDA

View Full Version : Gun Kata and Equilibrium

Hazkali
2007-09-16, 01:11 PM
Okay, my aim is to make a class representing (in a D+D way) the Grammaton Clerics from the film Equilibrium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGqnK0mFq4). For those of you who don't know, the Grammaton Clerics exist to hunt down those accused of "sense crime"- think 1984 meets The Matrix.

The only problem I have was how best to represent their uber-kung-fu ness. I'm going to call the ability "Kata" (after the "Gun Kata" seen in the film) but I don't know quite how to model it- should it be like a Barbarian's rage (perhaps giving bonuses to Wisdom and Dexterity), or like Flurry of Blows (which I'm told isn't that good of an ability anyway)?

Catch
2007-09-16, 01:26 PM
Awesome movie, first of all.

As far as the actual crunch is concerned, I'd suggest something along the lines of this. Feel free to tweak, I'm just playing around.

Firearm Mastery (Ex):

A Grammaton Cleric is intimately familiar with his weapons of choice, so much so that he fights with them in an unorthodox, yet highly effective manner. Any handheld firearm wielded by a Grammaton Cleric may be also be used as a melee weapon, dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage and inflicting a critical on a natural 20.

Kata (Ex):

The rigors of a Cleric's training impart an strong affinity for firearm combat, seamlessly blending nigh-supernatural speed and precision with flawless martial skill. X number of times per day as a full-round action, a Grammaton Cleric may perform a Kata, firing a hail of bullets with deadly accuracy. The Cleric may move up to his normal speed and execute a full-attack with his held firearms. These attacks may be performed at any time during the Cleric's movement and need not be all at once. Each attack gains a bonus to hit and damage equal to one half the Cleric's class level (minimum +1), though no two attacks in a round may have the same target. While executing a Kata, the Cleric gains a dodge bonus to his AC equal to one half his class level (minimum +1). A Kata may only be performed once per encounter.

D Knight
2007-09-16, 01:43 PM
Kata (Ex):

The rigors of a Cleric's training impart an strong affinity for firearm combat, seamlessly blending nigh-supernatural speed and precision with minimal motion. X number of times per day as a full-round action, a Grammaton Cleric may perform a Kata, firing a hail of bullets with deadly accuracy. The Cleric stands rooted to the spot and executes a full-attack with his held weapons. These attacks gain a bonus to hit and damage equal to one half the Cleric's class level (minimum +1), though no two attacks in a round may have the same target. A Kata lasts as long as a Cleric wishes, though if he moves even a single square, the Kata ends.

there is one problem wth this. if you watch the clip you would see him moveing as he fires so i would not say no move but like 1/4 your bass speed. and can not wait to see this in action.

Catch
2007-09-16, 01:56 PM
there is one problem wth this. if you watch the clip you would see him moveing as he fires so i would not say no move but like 1/4 your bass speed. and can not wait to see this in action.

Right, right. I was remembering the first scene in the film where he clears an entire room without moving.

EDIT: Fixed. Also added another ability.

Krelon
2007-09-16, 02:26 PM
idea for a D&D 3.5 setting, cleric of the war god

prestige class, I suggest a heavily loaded 5 level class

prerequisites: two-weapon fighting, proficiency with hand cross bow, can cast devine spells at some level

features:
BAB full, all good saves, d8 hitdice
at lvl 1 quickdraw, can hold a hand cross bow in each hand and reload/fire with both.
every even level also gives spellcaster level (L2,4)
every odd level sneak damage, also with ranged attacks sneak range is increasing(40,50,60ft.) (L1,3,5)

at first, feint (bonus) with ranged weapons (L1?)
later, improved feint with ranged weapons (L3?)
finally, feint as free action with ranged weapons (L5?)

add things like:
first, doesnt provoke AoO with ranged weapons (L2?)
later, thereatens nearby hex with ranged weapon (=flanking bonus) (L4?)

wouldn't hurt to have some restrictions on armor (no armor?) but to make up for it a bonus to AC like monk (+WIS and +1 every x levels)

dunno, maybe you can use some of the stuff. just making suggestions here

or pump it up to 10 levels to stretch the features but gain more sneak.

EDIT: uncanny dodge would be in character, too (if you restrict armor heavily)

Finerty
2007-09-16, 03:37 PM
I actually recreated the Grammaton Clerics in my recent Heroes of Battle (Wartime) Campaign. I made them monk/cleric/Sacred Fists (Complete Divine). Their levels of cleric were typically as 'secular' clerics (worshippers of abstract domains, not just two domains from a specific God's portfolio).
The monkness gave them good unarmed and unarmored combat ability, and for the gun kata stuff, they used some wand feats from CD, CAr, and CoM.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-16, 03:47 PM
Well, what does a gun kata do?

It uses rote techniques to fire a lot of bullets to where probability says the enemy is standing, and to move the shooter out of the way of where probability says the enemy is firing back.

Fundamentally, it should be something that increases attack bonus and possibly rate of attack, as well as increasing AC. Let's scrap rate of attack, as all previous abilities that grant you extra attacks decrease your accuracy (Flurry of Blows, Rapid Shot, etc.)

+Dex +Wis in rage style actually makes a lot of sense, if you give them +Wis to AC as a monk, which I think fits.

EDIT: Hadn't realized I'd left this sitting for several hours before posting.

Dryad
2007-09-17, 11:06 AM
Ehm.. Gun Kata? Make them Monks, but add in the Flurry of Blows being usable only with Pistols, grant them bonus feats like: Shot on the Run, Quickdraw, Rapid Reload, Two Pistol Shooting, Pistol Whip, Ranged Sunder, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot...
All that jazz. Put something in that tells them they can shoot in melee without provoking, and instead of Stunning Blow or Improved Grapple, or other monk special abilities like movement, unarmed damage, resistances, etc., give them Foresight, which allows them to cast Haste or something like that, equal to once a day per x class levels. Or perhaps True Strike as free action a number of times per day. Should do the trick, just fine.

Krelon
2007-09-17, 12:35 PM
Ehm.. Gun Kata? Make them Monks, but add in the Flurry of Blows being usable only with Pistols, grant them bonus feats like: Shot on the Run, Quickdraw, Rapid Reload, Two Pistol Shooting, Pistol Whip, Ranged Sunder, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot...
All that jazz. Put something in that tells them they can shoot in melee without provoking, and instead of Stunning Blow or Improved Grapple, or other monk special abilities like movement, unarmed damage, resistances, etc., give them Foresight, which allows them to cast Haste or something like that, equal to once a day per x class levels. Or perhaps True Strike as free action a number of times per day. Should do the trick, just fine.

yup, sounds good.

maybe you can take my idea from 4 posts before and use Dryad ideas to make a ten level class out of it.

If you don't use gun powder (well, I wouldn't like it a lot in a D&D setting) surely hand crossbows are the way to go.