PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Polearm Tempest Cleric Build/Feat Order

TheHutz
2018-09-25, 10:19 AM
Hello,

I'm interested in creating a tempest cleric that uses a polearm weapon and some combination of booming blade, PAM, spell sniper, Warcaster, and sentinel. Obviously I can only use some of those options. I know in the long run I won't keep up with marshal's for melee DPR but I'd like to have some melee capability.

Booming blade seems to be the best way to scale melee damage, so of the choices above that seems to be the only requirement. Since I want to use booming blade at 10 feet acquiring it via spell sniper is likely best. With such a feat intensive build that likely means starting V Human, taking spell sniper, and then taking booming blade. I'm not interested in convincing the DM to just allow me to have booming blade as tempest cleric flavor.

Which of the above feats works best after that and in what order?

PAM: If on the front lines, force an attacker to take your booming blade damage or be stuck 5 feet out of the fray. Requires Warcaster, and it seems you'd rarely use the bonus action attack because of booming blade.
Warcaster: A requirement to do an AoO with booming blade, also great side benefits on the concentration side.
Sentinel: Works great with PAM, but anti-synergistic with booming blade.
Spell Sniper: Acquire booming blade, attack with it at 10 feet, seems pretty critical to the build.

Proposed progression:
V Human Level 1: Spell Sniper/Booming Blade
Level 4: Warcaster
Level 8: PAM
The rest: ASI's

Other options? I considered just going high elf to get the BB cantrip and foregoing polearm use entirely, that seems less fun though.

I suppose I'd really be giving up some spell power by not taking WIS ASI's until what looks to be level 12. Is it generally recommended to just use a 1 hander and shield with tempest clerics and be a supportive blaster?

Thanks for the opinions!

nickl_2000
2018-09-25, 10:26 AM
really there is no point in having both PAM and Booming blade unless you have someone hasting you all the time.

BB uses a spell action, which includes and attack (so it doesn't proc the PAM bonus action). PAM uses an attack action and gives a bonus action. As a cleric you are better off casting Spirit Weapon and using that as your bonus action every round the BB on your normal round attacks. This also gives your ASI at level 8 instead of level 12.

CTurbo
2018-09-25, 10:34 AM
Spell Sniper + Booming Blade + Whip is better than Polearm Master

TheHutz
2018-09-25, 11:32 AM
really there is no point in having both PAM and Booming blade unless you have someone hasting you all the time.

BB uses a spell action, which includes and attack (so it doesn't proc the PAM bonus action). PAM uses an attack action and gives a bonus action. As a cleric you are better off casting Spirit Weapon and using that as your bonus action every round the BB on your normal round attacks. This also gives your ASI at level 8 instead of level 12.

The main point of PAM in this build is would be the opportunity attack when someone moves within your 10 ft reach.

Spell Sniper + Booming Blade + Whip is better than Polearm Master

Good thought, thanks, would be nice to have a shield.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-25, 11:45 AM
One solution that would add some versatility is to Ready your action for when an enemy hits you with a melee attack. Your Lightning push after being struck will push them back, which then you can follow through with your Readied action to strike your opponent with Booming Blade. Solid way of interrupting an enemy's multiattack and punish him for trying to finish it out.

I think the way you have it is fine if you already have a strong melee line. As a Tempest Cleric, who has access to shields, retaliation effects, and heavy armor, the key thing you'll add to your party is maintaining a defensive line so that your other casters can focus on damage/healing/concentration.

If you already have a decent melee lineup without you, then PAM is a really solid choice. Otherwise, the +2 AC, additional ASI and the lower damage with a Whip would be a bit more beneficial.

Of course, you could always invest as if you're planning on using the whip, and then later grab PAM, and that'd work out fine since PAM as your third feat is the only thing that changes. For the most part, though, I prefer melee classes that focus on maintaining the line.

Ruebin Rybnik
2018-09-25, 11:47 AM
I agree that its questionable wheither or not to take PAM. Cant really use BA but would be great for the AoO use.

Now I think this uild would still be an incredidible in boss fights.
Turn 1 cast Sprit Guardians(action), cast Spiritual Weapon(BA) attack boss, and move to 10ft of boss.
Now boss starts turn taking damage from SG. If he leaves then BB, if he approaches BB. If he hits you then Wrath of Storms and push him 10 feet back.
Turn 2 BB and SW. Boss gets hurt if he stays and if he leaves.

TheHutz
2018-09-25, 12:00 PM
One solution that would add some versatility is to Ready your action for when an enemy hits you with a melee attack. Your Lightning push after being struck will push them back, which then you can follow through with your Readied action to strike your opponent with Booming Blade. Solid way of interrupting an enemy's multiattack and punish him for trying to finish it out.

I think the way you have it is fine if you already have a strong melee line. As a Tempest Cleric, who has access to shields, retaliation effects, and heavy armor, the key thing you'll add to your party is maintaining a defensive line so that your other casters can focus on damage/healing/concentration.

If you already have a decent melee lineup without you, then PAM is a really solid choice. Otherwise, the +2 AC, additional ASI and the lower damage with a Whip would be a bit more beneficial.

Of course, you could always invest as if you're planning on using the whip, and then later grab PAM, and that'd work out fine since PAM as your third feat is the only thing that changes. For the most part, though, I prefer melee classes that focus on maintaining the line.

Good thoughts, the only trouble is all the polearms are strength based while the whip is dex.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-25, 12:11 PM
Good thoughts, the only trouble is all the polearms are strength based while the whip is dex.

Have you considered the fact that PAM works with Quarterstaffs? You could go the PAM route and have both a Polearm and a Quarterstaff, and also pack a shield. That way, you have a solution for when you either need defense or offense, and the only thing it really costs you is 5 foot reach.

Drazhar
2018-09-25, 12:58 PM
My take on this was to be Human Variant with the Magic Initiate for my feat, I took Find Familiar and Shocking Grasp (lightning damage on command!) and Booming Blade.

At level 4 I took PAM and began using a halberd.

Thanks to some magic items I didn't have to worry about pumping up my strength and was able to dump my level 8 ASI into Warcaster.

From there I was able to use my reaction to hit with booming blade and then on my turn use shocking grasp to get away and have them come after me, or use the ability to push them away if they were of the correct size.

Very fun combo to play!

TheHutz
2018-09-25, 01:19 PM
My take on this was to be Human Variant with the Magic Initiate for my feat, I took Find Familiar and Shocking Grasp (lightning damage on command!) and Booming Blade.

At level 4 I took PAM and began using a halberd.

Thanks to some magic items I didn't have to worry about pumping up my strength and was able to dump my level 8 ASI into Warcaster.

From there I was able to use my reaction to hit with booming blade and then on my turn use shocking grasp to get away and have them come after me, or use the ability to push them away if they were of the correct size.

Very fun combo to play!

Without spell sniper you can't use booming blade at 10 feet. Did you only use your halberd and booming blade within 5 feet or did your DM allow booming blade to be used at 10 without the feat?

Aaedimus
2018-09-25, 01:48 PM
He said he used bb as a reaction than pushed them back with shocking grasp. That wouldn't require 10 ft... but he did say he had a halberd so... it doesn't all seem to make allot of sense?

Because if he was already at 10 ft and could attack at 10 ft than why...

I guess if you stopped them at 10 ft, pushed them back and than stepped 5 ft back every turn they'd be making -5 ft progress per turn?

That would require spell sniper though as you said

Keravath
2018-09-25, 03:40 PM

No. Whip is a FINESSE weapon which means it can be used with either strength or dex your choice. So if you go with a strength build you can use either polearms or a whip.